Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stumbled on this video that explains "The" Hemi tick and other less important noises, in detail.

The comments about fleet vehicle idle time being a definite huge contributor to the Hemi tick are not exactly what I've heard elsewhere and I suspect there are differing opinions.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who supports the facts as presented or has had a different experience.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Correlation is not equal to causation. There are many trucks that idle a lot and never get lifter failure. In the same engine, some lifters are perfect and one or a few fail.

The theory that I believe, is that it's just a defective part that takes time to destroy itself. The more hours you have, either driving or idling, the sooner that part will eat itself up.

You either get the defective lifter(s) in your engine, or you don't. Since there are 16 of these lifters in each engine, an above average defective rate gives you a lot of chances to get a bad lifter (compared to, say, a water pump where there is only 1 so an above average defective rate there doesn't mean nearly as much).

I do believe a better choice of oil, and changing it often, is a good practise, its also possible that the parts are not defective, but bad/dirty oil is getting into the needle bearings and taking them out.

This is all my opinion of course. But defective parts and dirty oil are the only 2 theories which can not only explain why a lifter fails, but why the remaining lifters in the exact same engine experiencing the exact same (idling) conditions, don't fail but remain in excellent condition.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This just IMHO.... And all manufacturers (with a few exceptions) are guilty of it.

It is, I believe, a self fulfilling prophesy where the hunt for the holy grail of an extra 1/4 mpg to meet some inane EPA requirement (and the hunt for an extra $1.00 profit). The engineers are going for less oiling / thinner oils, causing less lubricating ability, and less cooling (to keet engine and transmission temps very high) to get every last 1/10 of MPG up and bean counters are demanding manufacturing use cheaper parts and shorter assy times to increase the bottom line at the sacrifice of reliability.

Also the video makes some good points such as questionable maintenance practices and fluids that are used. I do agree with him on 98% of what was said. I believe the newest version of the lifters is probably best they will get (barring any manufacturing *****) and the simple fact they are in the Hellcat (along with the awesome Hellcat oil pump) says a lot.

The manifolds, on the other hand is pretty shameful.

Side note: The F150 5.4 had the exact same problem. Broken studs and / or cracked castings..Then there was the sparkplugs breaking off in threads when being changed... GRRRR.. Crap design. Had an F150 w/ 5.4 with all the OEM TSB's on known problems that the OEM wouldn't fix. And the following are JUST ON THE ENGINE....... (there are 18 in all)
Busted spark plugs (such a problem, even Lyle makes a tool for that)
Failed lash adjusters (lifters)
Cam phasers bad
Cam phaser solenoids bad
Low oil pressure from oil pump squirting oil out back cover because cover was cheap and flexed.
Timing chain guides bad
Timing chain tensioners bad
Manifolds cracked or broken studs / bolts

Last edited:

Nrm3247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 6.4 makes a loud tick/knock on start up. It has never been rodded or modded, has 44k miles, and has been impeccably maintained with dealer servicing since purchased new. Truck was a daily driver for about 2 years and I have about 10k tow miles on it pulling a 6500lb travel trailer over its lifetime. For the last year it’s been a drive way trophy, while only breaking it out every month for some weekend driving. Started making the noise about 25k and goes away after truck warms up. One Dealer tells me it’s normal and another tells me it’s a possible connecting rod failure that won’t be covered under mopar until I get total failure. Sounds like an exhaust leak to me and is coming from the rear pass side of the motor near the manifold. Anyone have an opinion of what I should do? I’m posting a link to the sound.
https://youtu.be/SiQPUDb4rf8?feature=shared

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has never been rodded or modded,

That the issue, you want a good sounding HEMI you need to tune it and upgrade some internal parts. And run oils like Red Line or PUP

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My theory is the lifters destroy themself when you get debris in your oil and it lodges itself into the lifter and causes it to lock up. In my opinion it can happen to any hemi at any milage and the longer you have it the more opportunities arise
Debris in the oil does not cause the lifter to "lock up". If an engine has that kind of debris floating around in the oil system, it has a much larger problem. The cam delamination issue or a lifter's roller bearing failure is more likely to cause the cam/lifter issue.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This guy seems to lump all engine noises, normal and abnormal, into the "hemi tick" noise concern. He lost me when he stated that has been a "Dodge" tech for the last 10 years and then goes on to discuss the issues of the Ram hemi. Dodge stopped building the Ram truck more than 10 years ago. You can blame most of the Ram issues over the past ten years on FCA or Stellantis. The hemi tick is caused by an exhaust leak and it is not as serious as the cam/lifter failure, which is a major engine component failure. The cam/lifter failure may cause a "tick" in the engine, but that noise only happens after metal failure has occurred and a diagnostic code may soon follow.

Non forsit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I stumbled on this video that explains "The" Hemi tick and other less important noises, in detail.

The comments about fleet vehicle idle time being a definite huge contributor to the Hemi tick are not exactly what I've heard elsewhere and I suspect there are differing opinions.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who supports the facts as presented or has had a different experience.

Thanks for posting, was an interesting tick video, and well explained.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 6.4 makes a loud tick/knock on start up. It has never been rodded or modded, has 44k miles, and has been impeccably maintained with dealer servicing since purchased new. Truck was a daily driver for about 2 years and I have about 10k tow miles on it pulling a 6500lb travel trailer over its lifetime. For the last year it’s been a drive way trophy, while only breaking it out every month for some weekend driving. Started making the noise about 25k and goes away after truck warms up. One Dealer tells me it’s normal and another tells me it’s a possible connecting rod failure that won’t be covered under mopar until I get total failure. Sounds like an exhaust leak to me and is coming from the rear pass side of the motor near the manifold. Anyone have an opinion of what I should do? I’m posting a link to the sound.
https://youtu.be/SiQPUDb4rf8?feature=shared
I just have to comment on. "impeccably maintained with dealer servicing". I hope your Dealer and your mechanic are one of the better ones out there. In my 58 years of driving and owning dozens of vehicles. Some, I kept for 10-15 years and some for 3. My experience with dealer service has been at best average. Anything from outright lying about changing antifreeze. Taking my vehicle on unnecessary joy rides for over an hour. Bad workmanship with a radiator replacement. Okay I can go on. And maybe I have bad luck. But never impeccable. Nothing against you Nrm3247. I just have to point out Dealer Service is a hit and miss affair. I try to do everything I can myself. Of course that is very limited the older I get.:oops:
Good Luck!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This guy seems to lump all engine noises, normal and abnormal, into the "hemi tick" noise concern. He lost me when he stated that has been a "Dodge" tech for the last 10 years and then goes on to discuss the issues of the Ram hemi. Dodge stopped building the Ram truck more than 10 years ago. You can blame most of the Ram issues over the past ten years on FCA or Stellantis. The hemi tick is caused by an exhaust leak and it is not as serious as the cam/lifter failure, which is a major engine component failure. The cam/lifter failure may cause a "tick" in the engine, but that noise only happens after metal failure has occurred and a diagnostic code may soon follow.
Dodge / Chrsyler / Ram / FCA / Stellentis,doesn't really matter what you want to call the outfit,is still one big company that uses the same basic engine in all models,a 5.7 or 6.4 is a 5.7 or 6.4 in basically everything as far as bearing clearances with some differances in cams,but they all still have the same oiling short comings.You're really nit picking things,lol

Nrm3247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just have to comment on. "impeccably maintained with dealer servicing". I hope your Dealer and your mechanic are one of the better ones out there. In my 58 years of driving and owning dozens of vehicles. Some, I kept for 10-15 years and some for 3. My experience with dealer service has been at best average. Anything from outright lying about changing antifreeze. Taking my vehicle on unnecessary joy rides for over an hour. Bad workmanship with a radiator replacement. Okay I can go on. And maybe I have bad luck. But never impeccable. Nothing against you Nrm3247. I just have to point out Dealer Service is a hit and miss affair. I try to do everything I can myself. Of course that is very limited the older I get.:oops:
Good Luck!

Well, you do have a point. All service has been done at one of two dealerships seeing as how the truck has an extended 7 year warranty. My original dealership and I had a good relationship in the service department. They’ve done all recommended services up until 40k and oil was changed every 3500-5k miles using the penzoil 0w-40. The dealership I’m living near now seems sub par but it’s the closest one to me. I’ve tried another dealership the next town over but they told me my problem was normal. Whatever… I buy vehicles to keep them and we keep them clean and maintained. My father was a 40yr ase master and I was drilled about maintenance intervals since I was 12. I have a hard time not changing oil at 3k miles nowadays. I’m the guy with 17 years of service records on a vehicle I bought 17 years ago. So when I say impeccably, I’m assuming that the dealership did it’s job.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Debris in the oil does not cause the lifter to "lock up". If an engine has that kind of debris floating around in the oil system, it has a much larger problem. The cam delamination issue or a lifter's roller bearing failure is more likely to cause the cam/lifter issue.
I dont know man, this is the vvt selenoid I pulled out. The screen had multiple holes in it, where did they come from?

Attachments

• 20220709_001648.jpg
    20220709_001648.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 33

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Nrm3247….just had my ‘19 Laramie 5.7l experience the exact same issue as yours. First noticed the tick when using the remote start to cool down the cab before getting in on a hot day. Once inside the truck with the windows up you couldn’t hear the tick unless you listened very closely. Once the engine warmed up the tick almost disappeared. Turned out to be two broken exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side. Repair was covered by the extended warranty. I have 66k miles on the truck with 35k of those miles pulling my 6500lbs travel trailer. Love my truck.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a couple of sources for the infamous "tick"... one is the exhaust but it generally quiets after warm up. The other is the lifters and I must respectfully disagree with "faulty" lifters. I recently replaced all 16 on my hemi and still have a tick. And yes, it is definitely a lifter. I am strongly leaning towards the oil supply to the rear half of the engine. The cam was perfect so no need to change.
I use castrol 5w20 and my engine is one of the cleanest that I and some others have seen. I cut every filter to inspect, they are always free of debris.
I often wonder if the cylinder deactivation solenoids might play a part.....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There are a couple of sources for the infamous "tick"... one is the exhaust but it generally quiets after warm up. The other is the lifters and I must respectfully disagree with "faulty" lifters. I recently replaced all 16 on my hemi and still have a tick. And yes, it is definitely a lifter. I am strongly leaning towards the oil supply to the rear half of the engine. The cam was perfect so no need to change.
I use castrol 5w20 and my engine is one of the cleanest that I and some others have seen. I cut every filter to inspect, they are always free of debris.
I often wonder if the cylinder deactivation solenoids might play a part.....
5.7 / 6.4 Challengers with the manual 6 speed transmission don't have MDS /cylinder deactivation solenoids as you're calling the MDS system,and they still eat cams and lifters,so do the Hellcats and they're MDS delete

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5.7 / 6.4 Challengers with the manual 6 speed transmission don't have MDS /cylinder deactivation solenoids as you're calling the MDS system,and they still eat cams and lifters,so do the Hellcats and they're MDS delete
I'm still thinking that oil supply is a contributing factor. If the lifters and cam were getting adequate oiling, I'm thinking there would be far fewer problems.
Something sticks in my mind that there were "squirters" on the bottom of the engine,directed upward but I can't recall whether it was to lube the lower part of the cylinder or up higher. That was a long time ago and memory fades somewhat.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm still thinking that oil supply is a contributing factor. If the lifters and cam were getting adequate oiling, I'm thinking there would be far fewer problems.
Something sticks in my mind that there were "squirters" on the bottom of the engine,directed upward but I can't recall whether it was to lube the lower part of the cylinder or up higher. That was a long time ago and memory fades somewhat.
The 6.4's and 6.2's use piston squirters,but they're more aimed at the bottom side of the piston to help control piston top heat,but i've always thought they should be aimed more at the cam lobes,as the only oil the face of the lobe gets is from the oil flung off the crank,one of the reasons i'm a proponent of increasing the idle rpm if you're going to tune the engine

Last edited: