Here you go! ARB Dual compressor installed on Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PW18USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've searched threads on many forums looking for an area under the hood to mount my ARB Dual compressor. No one, or at least I haven't found anyone has mounted the ARB Dual compressor under the hood on a newer Power Wagon. Maybe I'm the first, maybe I'm not? Read the following on where I installed mine. First, my apologies this is so long.

I wanted to post this to share an install I made on my 2018 PW. I'm sure everyone is aware that finding a good place for an air compressor is anything short of challenging. I searched for a while and really never found a place I was happy with. I decided to throw in the towel and mount and install it as I've seen in a couple of videos in the Ram Box. I did this and it stayed mounted for quite some time and not hooked up. Not being 100% sold on this location because I wanted to keep it closer to the battery. I started looking under the hood. Nowhere I looked had enough space. Then one day for the umpteenth time, I saw light at the end of the tunnel. On the battery side opposite side of the radiator on the A-pillar (I think it's called) I found a location from what I saw would be enough room. I then took the compressor and slid it down there and basically mocked it up to see fitment. While keeping in mind wiring and running hose etc. I was convinced this area would work.

The next hurdle was how to mount this very heavy compressor. I had bought the compressor as a kit through Northridge 4x4. It came with all wiring, instructions, and a template to drill holes for aligning the holes on the back of the compressor. I thought I could possibly cut the mount that I had. Seems this mount was made more for frame mounting, which I had thought about as well, and ditched this idea as a possible place. Then as I'm looking at this template I had used to mark holes in my Ram Box install. I had an epiphany! Why not take and use the template to make a plate that the compressor would mount directly to and drill holes to mount the compressor on.

With this thought, I knew I wanted aluminum for weight reasons. On Monday as I was out of town for work. I went to a metal fab shop I had used previously for work and took the template in. I told them what I wanted and he had me choose the metal and now it was in his hands. A couple of days later I picked up my plate and had to wait to get it back home. When the weekend finally got there. I started Friday evening because I couldn't wait to get started. So far everything I was thinking was working out. I ran into one snag and once I mounted the plate on the pillar. I could not hold up the compressor and install bolts in from the back. I called my son and he came in for the assist. Let me just say this to anyone that might try to mount yours this way. Installing these bolts in from the rear is a royal pain in the ASS! If I had to guess, It took me maybe an hour and a half?? Maybe it just seemed this long? I didn't check the time at any point. Space back behind the plate to install the bolts and get them started is tighter than a **** hatband! So, if you do this, you have to wrap your head around this part and just be patient. It will go and will work. Besides the bolts and needing an extra pair of hands to hold it up for about 15 min, it really wasn't too bad. The wiring was a breeze and putting lugs for cable running to the battery was no problem.

After I got it all up and running. I then installed the air up/down kit I bought. I'm not sure if all are versed on this? I can air down or up all 4 tires at the same time. Anyways, this was pretty straightforward. Everything was provided in their kit. I had to buy the hose that runs from the compressor to the board with the pressure switch as you will see in the photos. I'm ordering braided. I just put the rubber hose on because that's all I could find. I bought this at Harbor Freight. I didn't know I needed this or would have ordered with the other items. Whether you want to install yourself this way or not, I just thought some of you would want to see another option. It's high and dry, in the engine compartment and close to the battery. I don't plan on going through any water crossings that will put this or my engine underwater at any point. Besides, I feel it's high enough to be okay and if a water crossing has to be done, I don't feel it will ever be an issue. Hope this helps some of you. If you have any questions. Please let me know.
20210409_181605.jpeg 20210409_181608.jpeg 20210409_191020.jpeg 20210410_000409.jpeg 20210410_000727.jpeg

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Good job. I've read where some have mounted on the inner fender. The problem with that is servicing the compressor. Have to remove the fender to get at it (and install it).

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not enough demand for the PW’s for arb to make a mount such as this?

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you for the write up. I have that same compressor and have yet to decide where to mount it. Previously I had it under the hood of my Jeep JKR. EVERYONE makes a mount kit for that. When I sold the Jeep I kept all of my goodies off of it. I’ve been wanting to put it on my RAM, but like yourself, have really struggled with finding just the right place for it. Your success gives me hope.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Late to the party..... great write-up, and something I'd like to incorporate as well t my Ram :waytogo:

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
What did you use to make that mounting bracket in the corner by the fuse box I’m getting ready to install my S pod and I really don’t want to drill it into the fuse box cover