Here's What Happens When Your Flawed Bosch CP4.2 Fuel Pump Explodes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
My Dealership Service Dept continues to say they don't yet have a fix for it. Even after nearly a year since the Recall Notice was sent to me. So, I just used my ARAG legal assistance program to have an attorney go after them. Here is a picture of a Bosch CP4.2 after catastrophic failure. After, without warning, the engine shuts down, the steering wheel locks, and you have no power brakes, look out! If you're towing a 35,000 pound 5th wheel when this happens, imagine the carnage.

Attachments

• A Failed Bosch CP4.2 fuel pump.jpg
    A Failed Bosch CP4.2 fuel pump.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Still waiting for a call from the dealership to replace this infamous fuel pump. It has been over one year since I received the Recall Notice.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Have you called and talked to them recently, I've learned it helps to talk politely to service writers, also a small gift card for coffee at Christmas time goes a long ways... Edit: But then I see you had an Attorney get involved, I bet they put you on the round too it list, they will get to you when they get around to it and not any sooner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Have you called and talked to them recently, I've learned it helps to talk politely to service writers, also a small gift card for coffee at Christmas time goes a long ways...
Not going to do that. Through a legal assistance plan I have with my retirement benefits, I have a lawyer working on it. Now filing complaints with Federal and State agencies. There's no excuse for over a year to pass since the Recall Notice, and nothing being done.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Not going to do that. Through a legal assistance plan I have with my retirement benefits, I have a lawyer working on it. Now filing complaints with Federal and State agencies. There's no excuse for over a year to pass since the Recall Notice, and nothing being done.
I learned the hard way with an Attorney back on a new Ford in 1975, I did get the work done, but that was how I found out they can drag there feet and could not do anything about how slow part arrived, dealerships do not like an Attorney down their back side when they are not the one at fault, here your dealer can't do work until parts are available & given the okay by FCA to do the work... Edit: FYI FCA just gave the okay to work on 2019 trucks a few weeks ago, I bet your not the only person in your area that needs to have CP4 replaced and are not at the top of the list...

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I learned the hard way with an Attorney back on a new Ford in 1975, I did get the work done, but that was how I found out they can drag there feet and could not do anything about how slow part arrived, dealerships do not like an Attorney down their back side when they are not the one at fault, here your dealer can't do work until parts are available & given the okay by FCA to do the work... Edit: FYI FCA just gave the okay to work on 2019 trucks a few weeks ago, I bet your not the only person in your area that needs to have CP4 replaced and are not at the top of the list...
This fuel pump was already suspect when the 2019s were built. Now 3 years later, such delays are inexcusable.

a-failed-bosch-cp4-2-fuel-pump-jpg.jpg

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This fuel pump was already suspect when the 2019s were built. Now 3 years later, such delays are inexcusable.

Your photo has been posted in every Diesel form an no longer impress anyone, you do know FCA has to wait until parts are available from Bosch before they can install a new pump, they just don't have thousands of them sitting on a shelf in some warehouse collecting dust until needed, until recently FCA had problems with 2019 trucks that had certain prior recalls done before the Y78 was performed, they have just recently figured out how to replace the CP 4 without causing other costly problems in the ECU... If you want to yell at someone or PO'ed at, give Bosch heck for using poor quality parts in their CP4, btw you do know FCA does not make the CP4 its all ready installed on the engine when it arrives...

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Your photo has been posted in every Diesel form an no longer impress anyone, you do know FCA has to wait until parts are available from Bosch before they can install a new pump, they just don't have thousands of them sitting on a shelf in some warehouse collecting dust until needed, until recently FCA had problems with 2019 trucks that had certain prior recalls done before the Y78 was performed, they have just recently figured out how to replace the CP 4 without causing other costly problems in the ECU... If you want to yell at someone or PO'ed at, give Bosch heck for using poor quality parts in their CP4, btw you do know FCA does not make the CP4 its all ready installed on the engine when it arrives...
Tell that to someone who has had a catastrophic failure of the CP4.2 fuel pump on a freeway traveling 70 mph while pulling a 35,000 pound 5th wheel. ;-/

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Tell that to someone who has had a catastrophic failure of the CP4.2 fuel pump on a freeway traveling 70 mph while pulling a 35,000 pound 5th wheel. ;-/

And what do you expect FCA do about it at least they are willing to step up and get it replaced unlike Ford & GMC who used the same pump and what do you want FCA to do when they do not have the parts to install?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's not upon me to go shop around for dealerships to honor the recall notice.
Considering it's your vehicle and the biggest driving factor of people saying "They'll never buy a Ram again" is how the dealership treats them.
There was a huge backlog for the upgraded EGR cooler on the EcoDiesel, some dealerships were able to repair a done quickly yet there were others that people waited close to a year waiting on parts. So finding a good dealership helps.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
And what do you expect FCA do about it at least they are willing to step up and get it replaced unlike Ford & GMC who used the same pump and what do you want FCA to do when they do not have the parts to install?
After 3 years and no parts? And you call that being responsible? No, it is not. That is called culprital negligence.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
After 3 years and no parts? And you call that being responsible? No, it is not.

Bosch makes the pump and they don't happen to have tens of thousands of the laying around in a Wearhouse, all FCA can do is wait until Bosch ships them pumps then do there best to divided them up for all 50 states to then be installed, go yell at Bosch for not making them fast enough and at who ever screwed the pooch for the code that is used to run the pump...

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Bosch makes the pump and they don't happen to have tens of thousands of the laying around in a Wearhouse, all FCA can do is wait until Bosch ships them pumps then do there best to divided them up for all 50 states to then be installed, go yell at Bosch for not making them fast enough and at who ever screwed the pooch for the code that is used to run the pump...
I'll let my lawyer do the yelling. He's confident we have a case. Refund the purchase price plus taxes or replace with an equal valued vehicle. You sound like a dealership service director. It is spelled warehouse, not wearhouse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Had an Attorney tell me the same thing 6 years ago about a contractor who screwed up some work at my house, hired attorney, long story short found out high dollar Attorneys do not always know every thing...
The CP4.2 fuel pump debacle is a major screw up. It is a manufactures responsibility, clear and simple. One can't deflect and say it's Cummins or Bosch. It rests upon FCA/ Chrysler.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have every right to be pissed. Waiting that kind of time for a repair and their answer is we don't have the part. They keep shipping out new trucks everyday with the new pumps yet won't fix the recall.... this isn't just Ram so you know it's all the manufacturers. Recalls back logged and they keep producing new vehicles. BTW there is a bunch of lawyers looking into this, if enough people come forward it will go to court and the auto manufacturers will lose. This isn't 1975 anymore and the way the laws are now protect the consumer and not the manufacturer. Winning a construction defect case is super easy and typically you just go after the contractors insurance. Most contractors won't even fight you as their deductibles are only $5,000 and most repairs or lawyer fees will exceed that really quick. Google search cp4 lawsuit...

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The CP4.2 fuel pump debacle is a major screw up. It is a manufactures responsibility, clear and simple. One can't deflect and say it's Cummins or Bosch. It rests upon FCA/ Chrysler.

What part of FCA has to wait until Bosch can make tens of thousands of new pumps do you not understand??? Once the new pump is made it takes time to get them from Germany to the USA, oh lets not forget Covid happened that also slowed every thing down and yet you think FCA can just pull a new CP 3 out of the back side :favorites68:

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
What part of FCA has to wait until Bosch can make tens of thousands of new pumps do you not understand??? Once the new pump is made it takes time to get them from Germany to the USA, oh lets not forget Covid happened that also slowed every thing down and yet you think FCA can just pull a new CP 3 out of the back side :favorites68:
You are FCA sympathetic. How is that so? Obviously you are not a Ram 3500 owner. You have lost all credibility with me. Good day, sir.