HID recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking for HID that'll fit in the tyc oem projectors for my 2015 ram.

Looking to order tonight. Please advise

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm happy with the combo of Xtremevision 6000k bulbs and HYB 55W CANBUS-safe ballasts.
Produces a bright white light more around 5500k because of the higher wattage ballasts.
No errors or flickers.
Of course this is in quad reflectors so can't speak to projectors but the performance should be similar.

djarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have ran xenon depot for years. They have great customer support also.

With their ballast and PCM box, they are plug and play with out tapping the battery with relays, and work as advertised.

I am running alpharex projector lights and they fit with no problems.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got TYC projectors With Morimoto 6000k bulbs and Hylux 45w ballasts and I’ve been pretty happy with them. They are incredibly bright white. The higher wattage makes the bulb output lower than the advertised color temp, so they are closer to a 5000k white instead of a 6000k bluish white. Before tis setup, I had Morimoto 5500k bulbs with one Morimoto XB35 ballast and one hylux 35w ballast (had 2 mori ballasts go out in a couple months, so they sent a hylux as a replacement). That set up was good for a couple of years till the other mori a last went out. I’ll never use another of their ballasts, but their bulbs have been great.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
It's amazing what these places charge for these 'kits'.
My HYB 55W CANBUS-safe ballasts were $40/pair, Xtremevision 6000k HID bulbs were $16/pair.
I have bright white, error free HIDs for $56.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dont do the canbus and use alpha obd, hylux and morimoto xb bulbs should run about $120
Very quality stuff.

I have a set of ddm tuning ultra ballast and bulbs i still gotta list for sale, cheap! Basically new.

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Send me a link to exactly what I need if you can.. I don't want to order the wrong stuff. Also, I don't have the alpha obd software to tool

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
It's amazing what these places charge for these 'kits'.
My HYB 55W CANBUS-safe ballasts were $40/pair, Xtremevision 6000k HID bulbs were $16/pair.
I have bright white, error free HIDs for $56.
Yup, I've been down that road before too... Trust me, the quality just isn't there, hid ballasts that lasted maybe year and a half... probably being a bit generous there.
Cheap bulbs aren't going to last long and will never be truly straight with a nice 90 degree to the base. But a quality set and you will see a huge difference..... Add I don't mean the most expensive out there, some overcharge for pure junk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
So if I get 1 1/2 years out of a $56 HID setup, I'll have 4 years of HID lights before I've reached the cost of a 'kit'.
Curious if that kit would last 4 years, If so then it's worth the investment.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
So if I get 1 1/2 years out of a $56 HID setup, I'll have 4 years of HID lights before I've reached the cost of a 'kit'.
Curious if that kit would last 4 years, If so then it's worth the investment.
I didn't say anything about a "kit", i said quality parts. I would usually would never buy a prebuilt "kit" from any supplier, I want the best parts I can get/afford. Usually a kit will be offered at a discounted price compared to buying the parts individually that discount usually comes in the form of at least one lesser quality item and that's just business they're not there to lose money so it only makes sense.
So for example, my Morimoto xb35 ballasts & bulbs were in my f150 for 2.5 years, very minimal loss of output and color shift when compared to afresh set I purchased for my Jeep renegade. That's enough for me to say they have a good 3 years life atleast.
My experience with the cheaper bulbs has been a noticable loss of output and alot of color shift writing 6 to 8 months of average use. And the ballasts have a much higher failure rate, usually due to water/moisture getting inside and the lackluster potting job you find inside.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
So after all that, not saying yours are junk, you could very well have got your hands on a set that was built well, it happens, just like there will be defective junk built in the high quality stuff too occasionally.
Hopefully your are a good set that will last you a while. But at the end of the day, all that matters is you are happy with them and they are no doubt 100 times better than stock lighting.