High gas prices and mds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JHoward---
It all depends on who's talking. IMHO sometimes it's better just to watch and not listen to some of the bs.
Jay

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well, I tried watching NASCAR on the TV with the volume turned off ... that ain't gonna work.

JHoward
I Can hear the announcers now. He's 15 laps behind the leader, but remember the guys in the lead lap haven't pitted yet for a recharge and he has a full battery.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't doubt it saves something, to me as an individual what it cost me in the price I paid for my vehicle it isn't worth it. Would rather not have it in my vehicle. Can't imagine the money it cost to come up with MDS for such a small amount of gain. Sounds like something that the government would do!
I don't think its so much what it saves you as an individual, but how it affects fleet fuel economy because there are all kinds of quotas and penalties involved in that, and for the last decade Tesla for example has collected $2 billion in revenue from companies like Stellantis purchasing their ZEV government credits, who is Tesla's largest customer in that respect.

Regarding minimal gains though, it is important to remember that 1mpg makes a much bigger difference going from 14mpg to 15mpg than it does on say a subcompact sedan that's going from 38mpg to 39mpg.

For example, if you're driving 15K miles a year and paying $5 a gallon in a blue state, going from 14 to 15mpg is a $357 savings, whereas going from 38 to 39mpg is only a $50 per year savings.

RacerRon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The whole premise of MDS should get you to at least expect minimal gains in miles per gallon. When MDS kicks in, half the cylinders are shut down while twice the fuel is sent to the other four working cylinders. So the same amount of fuel is being sent to only half the cylinders. WTF???
It's also a matter of volumetric efficiency. The remaining active cylinders get a larger air charge , hence more fuel and run with a higher dynamic compression ratio which is more efficient. The non active cylinders actually shutdown after combustion but before exhausting. This traps the spent charge in the cylinder acting like a damper that keeps ring seal and pressure on rod bearings in the proper direction.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't think its so much what it saves you as an individual, but how it affects fleet fuel economy because there are all kinds of quotas and penalties involved in that, and for the last decade Tesla for example has collected $2 billion in revenue from companies like Stellantis purchasing their ZEV government credits, who is Tesla's largest customer in that respect.

Regarding minimal gains though, it is important to remember that 1mpg makes a much bigger difference going from 14mpg to 15mpg than it does on say a subcompact sedan that's going from 38mpg to 39mpg.

For example, if you're driving 15K miles a year and paying $5 a gallon in a blue state, going from 14 to 15mpg is a $357 savings, whereas going from 38 to 39mpg is only a $50 per year savings.
I would have left it alone if it gave me 1 more MPG.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
In our trucks, +1 mpg is at least an extra 20-30 miles per tank(tank size depending). That adds up pretty quick throughout the year. Why wouldn't you want to go farther using less fuel? Has the MDS system caused an inordinate amount of catastrophic, out of warranty failures? Or are you all just worried about "what if's" that haven't actually happened? Cylinder de-activation systems are not new, various automakers have been using them for years. Honda, for example, since at least 2008. Some are more seamless in operation than others. Would you even really notice if no one had said it was there and there wasn't a way to bypass it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Octane

Octane

Reaction score
One plus from them is they kick butt at the drag races
It is basically one computer racing another anyway.So why not one electric racing another? I hate it but the greenies are in charge even when they are not and people gonna race.Don GARLITS has worked on ev dragsters for a long time already

OP
OP
Octane

Octane

Reaction score
In our trucks, +1 mpg is at least an extra 20-30 miles per tank(tank size depending). That adds up pretty quick throughout the year. Why wouldn't you want to go farther using less fuel? Has the MDS system caused an inordinate amount of catastrophic, out of warranty failures? Or are you all just worried about "what if's" that haven't actually happened? Cylinder de-activation systems are not new, various automakers have been using them for years. Honda, for example, since at least 2008. Some are more seamless in operation than others. Would you even really notice if no one had said it was there and there wasn't a way to bypass it?
Chrysler once said that MDS caused an irrelevant and very small amount to wear on the shutdown cylinders. And stated before I believe it's been accepted by the government more on the idea that there's four cylinders not polluting than it is about saving gasoline, since that is so minuscule. And one drop of pollution that doesn't go into the atmosphere of course would not be exactly a bad thing of course, and that really makes greenies celebrate

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have nothing against MDS but I'm not going to feel guilty because "I" don't care for it. They gave us a way to turn it off, I just choose to do so. Works for me. If leaving it on makes you feel good, by all means do so. We at least have the freedom to do so as of now anyway.

OP
OP
Octane

Octane

Reaction score
I have nothing against MDS but I'm not going to feel guilty because "I" don't care for it. They gave us a way to turn it off, I just choose to do so. Works for me. If leaving it on makes you feel good, by all means do so. We at least have the freedom to do so as of now anyway.
I wish the mds would default to off.

OP
OP
Octane

Octane

Reaction score
Mine does.... but I had to get a tuner to do so. It's like it never existed! lol
I would never go for the start/stop system on an engine either.I think it's a dumb idea although I understand the thinking of it. And know a couple of people that have the system but always keep it turned off.
All this goes to show me anyway,that carmakers are making stuff the consumers don't want. And they prove it themselves by enabling the consumers to turn their systems off. At least for a moment I considered a pentastar,but the start stop was more of a no go than the mds is.The more the makers suck the tit of those that they had rather please....in our capitol than me... I'll drive older and older vehicles till I'm gone.I already have a 77 Chevy K10 for the last 20+ years and it's a goody.And you know what? It sucks gas and pollutes like it's suppose too, and it and I really don"t care!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would never go for the start/stop system on an engine either.I think it's a dumb idea although I understand the thinking of it. And know a couple of people that have the system but always keep it turned off.
All this goes to show me anyway,that carmakers are making stuff the consumers don't want. And they prove it themselves by enabling the consumers to turn their systems off. At least for a moment I considered a pentastar,but the start stop was more of a no go than the mds is.The more the makers suck the tit of those that they had rather please....in our capitol than me... I'll drive older and older vehicles till I'm gone.I already have a 77 Chevy K10 for the last 20+ years and it's a goody.And you know what? It sucks gas and pollutes like it's suppose too, and it and I really don"t care!
As soon as they do away with the Hemi and go to a 6 cylinder I now have the newest vehicle I'll own. I will start searching for a pre '78 down in the Mopar truck line or a pre '72 and down Mopar car. So I'm really not going to worry my self to death over it! Been itching for a '39 or '40 Dodge, Plymouth or Chrysler coupe with a little 340 in it anyway!

OP
OP
Octane

Octane

Reaction score
As soon as they do away with the Hemi and go to a 6 cylinder I now have the newest vehicle I'll own. I will start searching for a pre '78 down in the Mopar truck line or a pre '72 and down Mopar car. So I'm really not going to worry my self to death over it! Been itching for a '39 or '40 Dodge, Plymouth or Chrysler coupe with a little 340 in it anyway!
Great minds think alike!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
All this goes to show me anyway,that carmakers are making stuff the consumers don't want. And they prove it themselves by enabling the consumers to turn their systems off.

They don't seem to be having any trouble moving those vehicles consumers don't want.

If the ability to turn off an option is proof nobody wants it, nobody automatic temperature controls on their HVAC. Or adaptable cruise control. Yet consumers actively seek out those functions if they want them. Forums tend to attract enthusiasts, and enthusiasts often have a skewed view of the wider market. Somebody buys all those 6 cylinders "muscle cars" after all, and gas mileage as shown on the sticker is obviously a motivator for many buyers.

The MDS thing isn't a debate anywhere but online and with the princess and the pea drivers. The market as a whole doesn't care and hasn't since it's introduction.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I've had the MDS on the last 3 trucks I have bought. it never bothered me but on my last 2 trucks I turned off the auto braking and lane change vibrating seat stuff and I would never want start/stop or adaptive cruise or auto parking. all stuff to drive up the price and go bad. I like less frills but expect what I do have to work without problems. to me, the less tech the better. I have not made up my mind completely about the announced twin turbo straight 6 replacement for the hemi but will see how it goes. I guess they are for sure in next years Grand Cherokees. all the hemi v8's I have had have been great.

OP
OP
Octane

Octane

Reaction score
They don't seem to be having any trouble moving those vehicles consumers don't want.

If the ability to turn off an option is proof nobody wants it, nobody automatic temperature controls on their HVAC. Or adaptable cruise control. Yet consumers actively seek out those functions if they want them. Forums tend to attract enthusiasts, and enthusiasts often have a skewed view of the wider market. Somebody buys all those 6 cylinders "muscle cars" after all, and gas mileage as shown on the sticker is obviously a motivator for many buyers.

The MDS thing isn't a debate anywhere but online and with the princess and the pea drivers. The market as a whole doesn't care and hasn't since it's introduction.
Your opinion,and you know what the say about opinions!
But people do have to buy what they build if they want the newest and the shiniest.Doesn't mean they don't care "as a whole".