High oil temperatures while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsholz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I'm concerned about the elevated oil temperatures when towing our 24 ft 6000 lbs trailer. On extended climbs the engine oil temperatures exceed 255 deg F while going 50 mph in 4th gear (2022 RAM 1500 5.7l with 3.21). Not pushing the truck hard at all. RAM does not seem to offer a plug and play factory oil cooler (other than the small installed coolant heat exchanger at the oil filter) and I'm reluctant to install a 3rd party cooler while under warranty. Do I just live with it and change the oil frequently? What have other people done?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm concerned about the elevated oil temperatures when towing our 24 ft 6000 lbs trailer. On extended climbs the engine oil temperatures exceed 255 deg F while going 50 mph in 4th gear (2022 RAM 1500 5.7l with 3.21). Not pushing the truck hard at all. RAM does not seem to offer a plug and play factory oil cooler (other than the small installed coolant heat exchanger at the oil filter) and I'm reluctant to install a 3rd party cooler while under warranty. Do I just live with it and change the oil frequently? What have other people done?
Not much you can do while your warrenty is still in effect,other then run a good quality oil and filter,and change it fairly often.If you're doing your own oil changes keep all your reciepts

rmill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you will get lots of advice here. I know some people get freaked out with warranty but depending on your location the sooner you go with 5-30 with Lubeguard (moly) the better off you will be if you are towing frequently. Have encountered similar numbers towing and just back off when it goes that high. One of the very few drawbacks of the 1500 3.21.....In reality we spend very little time climbing anyway, right? Otherwise the 3.21 is awesome.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

That is the high end of normal.

What was the outside temperatures at the time?

If you tow a lot you should consider the 'hard use' recommended intervals for oil, trans, axles.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You say you aren't pushing it hard at all, but also say you are in 4th gear. I would think 4th gear would be turning a good amount of rpm's and if in any hills would make for some higher oil and coolant Temps.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't really show any concern until oil sees 270º+. A little mechanical sympathy in the way of letting it cool before a shut down would be my practice.

Remember that oils will absorb and shed heat more slowly than coolant.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Things I've done is to remove the active grill shutters and run a 180 degree thermostat. Running a thicker oil is advised as well, but won't affect your temps, it just protects your engine better at those temps. Both of those may void your warranty but in reality doing those will not wreck your engine, they can only help. If you plan to keep your truck beyond the warranty period then IMHO you should definitely do both. They will not prevent you from reaching those temps, but your truck will take longer to get to those temps, meaning, if the hills you're climbing are small enough you might not ever hit them again.

You say you aren't pushing it hard at all, but also say you are in 4th gear. I would think 4th gear would be turning a good amount of rpm's and if in any hills would make for some higher oil and coolant Temps.
4th gear at 50 mph is not "pushing it", probably around 3000 rpms.

I’ve read that in some Ram trucks the oil temperature is calculated (estimated) by the PCM, not a real sensor measurement. Do the 5.7 have an actual physical oil temperature sensor?

What about the 6.4?
I read discussion that the oil pressure is calculated, never seen someone talk about the temps. In any case the pressure is not calculated, it's a real sensor, the temps are probably real as well.

Well you will get lots of advice here. I know some people get freaked out with warranty but depending on your location the sooner you go with 5-30 with Lubeguard (moly) the better off you will be if you are towing frequently. Have encountered similar numbers towing and just back off when it goes that high. One of the very few drawbacks of the 1500 3.21.....In reality we spend very little time climbing anyway, right? Otherwise the 3.21 is awesome.

The temps have nothing to do with the 3.21.

OP
OP
G

gsholz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Thanks for all the responses. Outside temps were in the 80's, elevation around 4000-5000 feet. RPMs in 4th gear around 3500 if I remember correctly.

Transmission temps are normal. Coolant can get close to 220 and oil always seems to run about 20 deg warmer (probably due to the heat exchanger). I have gone to 5W-30 as I believe the 0W-20 is only used for slightly increasing EPA fuel mileage. I'm changing the oil/filter every 5k.

Overall, we really enjoy the truck, Comfortable, quiet and around 20mpg on the highway when not towing (same as the Jeep Rubicon Unlimited we had before).

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As long as temps go down after you stop climbing you should be fine. I've towed up the ike gauntlet (west side of I70 over Continental divide) when i had my 1500 and hit 260 to 265 with the cruise set at 65. Slowed down and the temps started to fall. The ambient temps are generally pretty cool up there too.

OP
OP
G

gsholz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Part of the problem is that the active grill shutters stay closed too long (220 deg F) when towing uphill. This helps with fuel mileage on the highway but increases oil temps quite a bit. I don't want to disable the shutters as I do a lot of long-distance highway driving.

I'm surprised that nobody has come up with a manual grill shutter override. I found the connector pin-out. Battery, GND and what looks like a PWM signal from the CPU. A switch with a diode to prevent back-feeding may be all that is required.

Attachments

• active shutter control.pdf
    92.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Part of the problem is that the active grill shutters stay closed too long (220 deg F) when towing uphill. This helps with fuel mileage on the highway but increases oil temps quite a bit. I don't want to disable the shutters as I do a lot of long-distance highway driving.

I'm surprised that nobody has come up with a manual grill shutter override. I found the connector pin-out. Battery, GND and what looks like a PWM signal from the CPU. A switch with a diode to prevent back-feeding may be all that is required.

It's not worth the effort to save the system, just remove all but 2 rows of the system and carry on, you'll have no regrets as they don't do anything other than heat up your truck a minute quicker. There are 0 fuel savings, I haven't noticed any whatsoever and I still regularly get 23+ highway mpg unloaded, and 9 to 12 while pulling my trailer.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

AGS delete will have an almost negligible impact on oil temps.

Messing with the signal/motor will throw a CEL after the truck sees the motor disabled or free moving past it's range. There are a few delete kits running around, one with a full plate, one with a screw through the motor housing, or you can remove most of the shutters except the top few, or you can get an unlocked ECU and a custom tune and delete them.

I stand by what @Wild one said, if you're warranty bound, use good oil and keep it changed. If you want to go all in, remote filter mount and oil cooler aren't hard to fab up and will 100% fix the towing oil temp.