Essential Aftermarket Towing Accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbird02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased my 2020 Ram 1500 Classic, here is my equipment related to towing below. I will be towing a 5,895 lbs GVWR TT. Any aftermarket changes I should consider for towing?

I didn't see any towing packages but it seems like some of those items were added individually. There was no hitch, but there was the harness. I plan on adding a brake controller and Curt Class 4 Hitch (10,000lb). I am particularly interested to know if I need to add transmission/oil coolers and what to get if so. The ones shown were added in the optional equipment section, so I think I am good.
What is the best place to decode your VIN? below is from the FCAcommunity build sheet

HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER
ENGINE OIL HEAT EXCHANGER
FRONT STABILIZER BAR
REAR STABILIZER BAR
7 PIN WIRING HARNESS TRAILER TOW W/4-PIN CONNECTOR WIRING
HEAVY DUTY ENGINE COOLING
FRONT HEAVY DUTY SHOCK ABSORBERS
REAR HEAVY DUTY SHOCK ABSORBERS

(From VIN Decoder Equipment Tab on Dodge Forum decoder)
Engine: 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS
3.21 Rear Axle Ratio
GVWR: 6,900 lbs
Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive
Engine Oil Cooler
730CCA Maintenance-Free Battery
180 Amp Alternator
Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
Trailer Wiring Harness
1480# Maximum Payload
HD Shock Absorbers

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree, equalizer bars and sway control is all you need. Properly adjusted they will help you cruise comfortably. Not knocking people with bags, but my two cents is that just one more thing to break at the worst possible time.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What is the best place to decode your VIN? below is from the FCAcommunity build sheet
Enter the VIN on this website, be sure to use all capital letters; https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

You'll need to add the OEM trailer brake controller for any off the truck integration benefits to work like the trailer sway control.
With the 8 speed transmission there is only one transmission cooler used in all the truck, it's actually part of the AC condenser coil(top several rows).

When you buy a WDH be sure to size it properly for the total weight of the trailer connected. Some WDH you can buy different rated spring bars for the weight of trailer your towing.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Agree, equalizer bars and sway control is all you need. Properly adjusted they will help you cruise comfortably. Not knocking people with bags, but my two cents is that just one more thing to break at the worst possible time.

People don't understand bags (even fun bags).

The Air Lift 1000's aren't for load leveling. They go inside the coil springs and expand outwards to help stiffen up those mushy coils. The rear of the 1500 likes to bounce like a pogo stick under load. Much softer than the leaf spring competitors, which is why the 1500 rides so nice unloaded. The spring bars on a WHD are for transferring load from drive axle to steer axle and trailer axle. They work independent of the drive axle suspension.

The Hellwig rear sway bar also helped a lot. Even unloaded the truck felt more planted. It's ridiculous how paper thin the stock sway bar is.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
For trailer pulling I added Equal-I-Zer w/Sway Control hitch, Timber Grove Rear Airbags, Hellwig Sway Bar, and 10 ply tires.

if you have a heavy hitch weight the 1500 springs are too soft for the WDH to return to a proper hitch height. The airbags serve to provide a stiffer rear suspension. That said, I'm overkill for safety and for the 1500's tow capacities, one probably doesn't need the bags. But if loading the bed to capacity the bags are a necessity.

Last edited:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The Air Lift 1000's aren't for load leveling. They go inside the coil springs and expand outwards to help stiffen up those mushy coils. The rear of the 1500 likes to bounce like a pogo stick under load. Much softer than the leaf spring competitors, which is why the 1500 rides so nice unloaded. The spring bars on a WHD are for transferring load from drive axle to steer axle and trailer axle. They work independent of the drive axle suspension.

The Hellwig rear sway bar also helped a lot. Even unloaded the truck felt more planted. It's ridiculous how paper thin the stock sway bar is.
Equilizer is all you need.

Mushy spring? Maybe you need new shocks.

Also, timberlin rubber spring are simplier and less expensive if you have $ burning a hole in your pocket.

Last edited:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
For trailer pulling I added Equal-I-Zer w/Sway Control hitch, Timber Grove Rear Airbags, Hellwig Sway Bar, and 10 ply tires.

if you have a heavy hitch weight the 1500 springs are too soft for the WDH to return to a proper hitch height. The airbags serve to provide a stiffer rear suspension. That said, I'm overkill for safety and for the 1500's tow capacities, one probably doesn't need the bags. But if loading the bed to capacity the bags are a necessity.

How about we stop with all the fear and bad info for dowing.

Equilizer - yes

Timber - no - Maybe you need new shocks - look at Rancho 9000XL - you can adjust the ride.

Sway Bar - no - Maybe you need new shocks

10 ply tires - yes

Break controller - yes

If the OP is within the truck's specs and has the 'yes' above then he should be OK.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Timber - no - Maybe you need new shocks - look at Rancho 9000XL - you can adjust the ride.

Shock are not for supporting a load.
As stated airbags are to add capacity to keep the rear end from sagging.
Both shocks and sway bars help with tire rebound but in two different ways, a sway bar is side to side where as shocks are up/down. Yet again two different purposes, replacing shocks isn't the answer to everything.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Equilizer is all you need.

Also, timberlin rubber spring are simplier and less expensive if you have $ burning a hole in your pocket.
Shocks provide rebound and compression damping. Sure, you can throw some extremely dampened shocks in there, but your unloaded ride is going to be complete ****.

The point of the Air Lift 1000 bags is to stiffen up the springs. They're cheap, like $90. They're installed inside of the coil springs and expand horizontally, not vertically. They do not level or alter ride height. You don't inflate them until you are completely hooked up to your trailer.

Timbren's are like 3x the cost of the Air Lift 1000's. And all they are is extended bump stops. No thanks.

Have you looked at the stock sway bar? It's paper thin hollow tubing. Hellwig is considerably stronger, provides a lot more side to side stability.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Since you listed my post, let me react. There's no fear in what I posted. Where do you get any "fear"? I qualified it by saying "I'm overkill for safety"
Equilizer - yes

Shocks have nothing to do with spring rates. I have Bilsteens but not for that reason. I have the Timber Grove Airbags to maintain a level ride when carrying a load in the bed and the benefits when towing
I beginning to believe you think shocks solve everything. If the OP puts a camper in the bed he'll quickly find out how weak the OEM swaybar is. I could tell it when towing.
10 ply tires - yes

Break controller - yes

If the OP is within the truck's specs and has the 'yes' above then he should be OK
The OP asked, "Any aftermarket changes I should consider for towing?" I answered with what I have done. Didn't excect to receive your critiscms.

Last edited:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Shock are not for supporting a load.
As stated airbags are to add capacity to keep the rear end from sagging.
Both shocks and sway bars help with tire rebound but in two different ways, a sway bar is side to side where as shocks are up/down. Yet again two different purposes, replacing shocks isn't the answer to everything.
None of the things you mentioned are needed in a well maintained truck and if the truck is within towing specs.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Shocks provide rebound and compression damping. Sure, you can throw some extremely dampened shocks in there, but your unloaded ride is going to be complete ****.

The point of the Air Lift 1000 bags is to stiffen up the springs. They're cheap, like $90. They're installed inside of the coil springs and expand horizontally, not vertically. They do not level or alter ride height. You don't inflate them until you are completely hooked up to your trailer.

Timbren's are like 3x the cost of the Air Lift 1000's. And all they are is extended bump stops. No thanks.

Have you looked at the stock sway bar? It's paper thin hollow tubing. Hellwig is considerably stronger, provides a lot more side to side stability.
None of the things you mentioned are needed in a well maintained truck and if the truck is within towing specs.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Since you listed my post, let me react. There's no fear in what I posted. Where do you get any "fear"? I qualified it by saying "I'm overkill for safety"

Shocks have nothing to do with spring rates. I have Bilsteens but not for that reason. I have the Timber Grove Airbags to maintain a level ride when carrying a load in the bed and the benefits when towing

I beginning to believe you think shocks solve everything. If the OP puts a camper in the bed he'll quickly find out how weak the OEM swaybar is. I could tell it when towing.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Equilizer - yes

10 ply tires - yes

Break controller - yes

If the OP is within the truck's specs and has the 'yes' above then he should be OK.

@Zoe Saldana - Don't forget. Your personal opinions are welcomed, but not always right for everyone's set up.

@cbird02
Your truck is rated for 10K so the TT wont be too much for the truck. You have a good tow package with upgraded shocks and an oil cooler.
However, It is recommended by most who tow; to at least have a weight distribution hitch w/bars and some type of sway control or equalizer.

In my personal opinion, the best thing to do would be to hook up the trailer. Loaded or unloaded. Chances are if its a travel trailer it will likely always be loaded to some degree. You can see how it tows and reacts with your current setup over 20 miles or so, and then decide on what you need.

I do love the adjustability I have with my airlift bags, and would recommend them; but Im also towing heavy @29ft and close to 10k loaded.

Try going on a forum for your travel trailer brand or a generic RV forum. A lot of members will have personal experience with similar trailers and a lot of them will have Rams. They can offer valuable information for what works and didn't work.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
@Zoe Saldana -Don't forget. Your personal opinions are welcomed, but not always right for everyone's set up.

@cbird02
Your truck is rated for 10K so the TT wont be too much for the truck. You have a good tow package with upgraded shocks and an oil cooler.
However, It is recommended by most who tow; to at least have a weight distribution hitch w/bars and some type of sway control or equalizer.

In my personal opinion, the best thing to do would be to hook up the trailer. Loaded or unloaded. Chances are if its a travel trailer it will likely always be loaded to some degree. You can see how it tows and reacts with your current setup over 20 miles or so, and then decide on what you need.

I do love the adjustability I have with my airlift bags, and would recommend them; but Im also towing heavy @29ft and close to 10k loaded.

Try going on a forum for your travel trailer brand or a generic RV forum. A lot of members will have personal experience with similar trailers and a lot of them will have Rams. They can offer valuable information for what works and didn't work.

" Don't forget. Your personal opions are welcome, but not always right for everyone's set up."

That is wrong for a well maintained truck and if the truck is within towing specs. For that set up I am correct. All that I am recommending is an Equilizer hitich and brake controller.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me be clear. I am advocating for the OP and safe towing. I've been towing a TT since 2006 all around the continental USA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air bags, rubber springs, and similar are either recommened for wrong reasons (e.g. handle load above recommended) or to cover up poor maintainance (e.g. worn shocks or bushings).

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Says the person who making it apparent that they have a lack of knowledge about the how's and what's of towing with a truck that has a coil rear suspension.
Sadly even being within spec for towing and having the WDH adjusted correctly the nose of these truck will still point at the stars, that not a problem if your just towing during daylight hours. If you try to crank the bars down enough to level the truck the rear end goes light which causes stability issues.