Horrendous sound on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I had this issue last year, during cold starts I hear an awful sound, like metal on metal, often during starts in temps colder than -25 C. Took it into the dealer last year for 4 days and they said they started it every morning and they could not hear it. I sent in videos to my dealer and they said they shared it with “head office” for their techs to listen to but they never heard back from them.

Well, we had a mild winter so far, but the temps dipped last night and so I recorded this morning’s start. It was -29 C. The sound didn’t last long, but it was there. I can’t seem to upload the video on this site to see what anyone here thinks. But would love to hear some thoughts. Has anyone living in a cold region had this experience with the 6.4L?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this issue last year, during cold starts I hear an awful sound, like metal on metal, often during starts in temps colder than -25 C. Took it into the dealer last year for 4 days and they said they started it every morning and they could not hear it. I sent in videos to my dealer and they said they shared it with “head office” for their techs to listen to but they never heard back from them.

Well, we had a mild winter so far, but the temps dipped last night and so I recorded this morning’s start. It was -29 C. The sound didn’t last long, but it was there. I can’t seem to upload the video on this site to see what anyone here thinks. But would love to hear some thoughts. Has anyone living in a cold region had this experience with the 6.4L?

Could you upload your video to a host site like YouTube or Google and post a link?

Then we can listen and provide an educated guestimate. :cool:

I occasionally see frosty temperatures like that and colder. The most common source is usually belts slipping on pulleys. Sometimes you can see the shiny polished pulleys or feel the movement in the belt.

The giveaway is that it happens at the start and fades out as the engine warms up.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
It usually sounds like a loud screeching noise

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada so I have had this problem before 2015pw 6.4 Hemi. I have a new fan belt and idler just waiting on other parts for a big wrenching day. You should always replace both at the same time. At 220k kms I’m probably pushing it. Gonna do a cooling system flush and the thermostat,ect sensor fan belt and pulley. Like me my truck is getting older and is getting grumpyer and has more creaks and groans.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like power steering pump whine to me. Or something pump related. Definitely doesn't sound like metal on metal from the video.
Yes that was what i was thinking…pump related. Maybe the water pump ?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada so I have had this problem before 2015pw 6.4 Hemi. I have a new fan belt and idler just waiting on other parts for a big wrenching day. You should always replace both at the same time. At 220k kms I’m probably pushing it. Gonna do a cooling system flush and the thermostat,ect sensor fan belt and pulley. Like me my truck is getting older and is getting grumpyer and has more creaks and groans.
At the 100K service (I do this at 85K to 90K), new serp belt, idler and tensioner pulleys, termostat, coolant, etc.) all OEM is what I've always done for my vehicles.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm with the other guys, it sounds like the power steering pump or maybe the water pump.

What is the mileage on the truck and when was the coolant last changed?

After a cold start, could you try moving the steering to the end of travel and see if it produces a similar sound?

Also, you could try a cold start with your hand on the steering wheel and crank the wheel when the disturbing sound starts.

It would be interesting to know if the sound that you've been hearing changes in any way.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guess as well, alternator bearing, if it's the power steering turn steering wheel when you do a cold start, see if noise varies, take drive belt off and do a cold start and see if noise goes away.
Also change your signature looks like you have a power wagon W/ 6.4 engine and the years not right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Austin

Andrew Austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for your ideas, guys. I had the power steering guild flushed and replaced with Amsoil fluid as it is apparently better in the extreme cold ( just before Christmas when I had a full inspection and oil change). The noise this morning was louder and higher pitched, but I didn’t have a chance to record it. Will record tomorrow again as the temps are in the -30C range.

Mileage is only 27000 kms.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your ideas, guys. I had the power steering guild flushed and replaced with Amsoil fluid as it is apparently better in the extreme cold ( just before Christmas when I had a full inspection and oil change). The noise this morning was louder and higher pitched, but I didn’t have a chance to record it. Will record tomorrow again as the temps are in the -30C range.

Mileage is only 27000 kms.

Wow!

Do you have a 2009 truck with only 27,000 km?

Moving the steering wheel while the noise is happening might confirm or rule out the power steering pump but there are other tests you can try.

A mechanics stethoscope will help isolate which bearing is about to expire.
Just be careful hanging into the engine bay while you have a volunteer start the truck.

And, as previously mentioned, removing the drive belt will isolate several items including the alternator and idler pulley. Just take a few pictures before removing so you can successfully reinstall it.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow. And I'm no certified mechanic but that really sounds like an unhappy bearing, so a fluid change would not help.

I'd be looking to isolate and replace it ASAP.