Hotshot trucks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know a guy that does hot shot delivery in Quebec - Ontario with a 2009 RAM 1500 "powertech"
stove parts from the foundry down to the powdercoat shop and back again
even GAS engines are WAY MORE RELIABLE if driven on LONG trips with FEW cold start cycles

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let’s not get side tracked lol , OP has a 2011 1500 5.7 Gas.

It’s not a Eco diesel.

To the Op, a good set of tires, a good set of air bags and it could be done.

Would it be profitable, not likely due to your limiting payload and GVWR ratings. You wouldn’t be able to haul “ Enough stuff” to make it profitable” at least in my mind. That’s just not an optimal plat form to haul 24/7 with. There are people who hot shot on here with 1/2 ton diesels and 3/4-1Ton Gas trucks. Those are both viable options and work for them. Maybe one of them will chime in. Keep us posted.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better check DOT regulations. I think you need your own authority to be legal. In other words, you need to establish yourself legally as a trucking company.

I see a lot of those guys around, but have NEVER seen any with a 1500. Most have 3500 duallys.

LI Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
you can haul motorcycles in an enclosed trailer..more popular on the east coast ..either to Florida or out to Sturgis for the trailer queens... there are a ton of "hotshot" drivers on USHIP but logistics in formulating the maximum out of your trips are a necessity to make money...

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me give you something else to chew on. Here in Texas Hot Shot trucking is big business and about half of them are 1500 or half ton series trucks. This is due to the oilfield. Those trucks that carry loads either too long for a standard bed or too heavy for the capacity of the 1500 will have a trailer known as a float, generally dual axle and anywhere from 20' to 40' long, or they move up to the 2500 or 3500 series trucks. I personally drove over 500k, doing hotshot work during the 70's in a 1500 series truck without any problems. I know several Hot Shot companies that specialize in the less than 1000lb loads that can be shipped from point A to point B as fast as possible. Freight lines don't work that way and when the oilfield needs something for their drilling or workover rigs, they general need it now!! The drivers and their trucks do very well and a lot of the hauling is also out of state runs. They do have a purpose and good money can be made if you don't mind the 24hr. call and enjoy driving. Some of the bigger Hot Shot Lines here in Texas are ACME Trucking and ASAP Trucking.

Chirp08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Hotshot trucks are different things to different people. My 2500 is a work truck. It goes on holidays with me carrying a truck camper and goes to work with and for me when I labor. I wonder if anyone considers the economics here in owning a truck. I see many people have brand new spotless trucks they would not dare take off road for fear of getting it scratched. Lots of them types here in Canuckistan. Fine with me. My truck has bangs and dings in it, but is kept in top shape mechanically which is important for me. Recently spent a few grand for new front end with all joints having grease fittings. New tires, four wheel alignment, etc

It has 300,000 kilometers on it and runs great. Here are my thoughts. I bought it new in 2008 for $32000.00 Put ten grand down and paid it off in five years with a low interest loan from Chrysler financing. It is loaded and was ordered with a 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed standard. I use it for drawing wood, towing heavy trailers loaded with logs, drawing a mini skid steer and looking after me on trips to the USA, mainly the Colorado Rockies though I have travelled a 12000 MILE jog from Thousand Islands area to across the border east 400 miles at Sarnia Ontario/Port Huron Michigan and up and along the USA Canada border to Montana, up to Red Deer Alberta and north to Prince George B.C. and down to cross at Blaine Washington to follow the Pacific West coast to LA. Then up at LA and across to Death Valley, through Nevada to Kingman Arizona and to Tombstone and up through New Mexico and Colorado to Nebraska I-80 and east to re-cross again at Port Huron Michigan and then east in Canuckistan 400 miles on the 401 back home. Point? My truck has never let me down though I have gone through two serpentines, a set of O2 sensors, a set each of snow and summer tires, an alternator, a battery, one headlight, a rear bumper, and umpteen oli changes and filters.

So now I have owned it 11 years this May and that is 132 months. Average cost per month of the purchase price is $244.00 I intend on a major body job when the paint fades and body panel replacement before the fact. New rear custom bumper, and a pile of things that will make it look new again. I intend on keeping this truck another 10 years at which time the average cost of purchase will work out to $122.00 a month over 20 years.

I am sure many of you have been chased by salesmen to trade in your truck after a three year period as I have but I refused. Why would I want to get rid of a truck I trust, that serves me faithfully, and which will be a classic after the coming rejuvenation? As a business purchase I was refunded the 13% DST (damned sales tax) and maintenance has been regular and follows a regimen of preventive status/planning.

This truck runs good, works good, plays good, and I am used to it. It is a regular cab model and I will never understand why people trade for new ones every three years. Maybe they are millionaires, but even f I had a pile of green, once I get used to a vehicle I keep it. I see no reason to replace something that works good for an unknown entity. My son has a 1976 X army truck used all the time. The only thing original is the frame. Four speed small block 400 cu in with an articulated crane installed for logs, rear duals, and 4WD. Cab rotted and we bought another one in Phoenix ten years ago and it was installed by him and a friend who is a professional auto body worker. New one ton axles are on it. There is also a Blazer as old as the truck ready for a new body that also came from Arizona, and an old Jeep being restored.

Hotshot trucks? That would be a good handle for anyone who trades every three years, washes it every day, never uses the 4WD and then complains that the workings seize, and who votes for the lying Libbie loons up here in Canuckistan, most recently a grade 4 ASSistant drama teacher who lies, is a criminal, a bigot and as useful as a screen door on a submarine. If you want to see a loser, come to Canuckistan. President Trump would make a snack out of this nerd!

One more thing, the USA is the greatest nation on the face of this wretched planet and that has been, and will always be the case. Wish I could somehow trade this wimp here for President Trump, I would do it in a moment!

Not for me.

Impressive you managed to get an 8 spd transmission 5 years before Ram put it in production for its trucks..

Dorsai56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Has anyone turned a 2011 1500 Dodge ram 5.7 hemi into a hotshot truck?
I had a 1500 Hemi that I used to pull an RV trailer. Though it would pull it ok, mpg was better 6-9 mpg. Plus in big hills, it was working really hard. Another issue was the fact the gas tank was small for that kinda mileage. So every 100 miles or so was having to stop for fuel. Trailer max. weight was 5,000#. I traded it in on the same year 3500. Don't have heavy duty transmission, so, towable weight max is 18,000#. That would still limit some of the stuff you'd be able to haul. Another thing with a Cummins equipped truck, is that any diesel shop can work on it. Been driving over the road since 1978. There are other DOT requirements you will have to have, unless you're gonna motel it every night. Search for Hot Shot Forums and take some time reading and asking the people that are actually do'n it. Good luck, but, don't use a Hemi ;)

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Impressive you managed to get an 8 spd transmission 5 years before Ram put it in production for its trucks..

.I do not proof read and make inadvertent errors, one of which you have indicated. Why do I not proof read? People like you do it for me and save me piles of time. Thank you! It is in fact a six speed manual and would have nothing else.

OP
OP
S

Shadowrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2011 Dodge Ram I got last year and I ran across some youtube videos on hotshots and I really want to get into it. Just wanted to see if my truck would work to get enough money up to get a bigger truck to make more money. Would love to start out a business doing hotshoting.
Thank you everyone for your advice.

OP
OP
S

Shadowrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you everyone for your advice, I'm trying to get into business running hotshot trucking and recently found out I need a class A license if I'm pulling a gooseneck trailer weighing more then 10,000 lbs since I live in California.
So know I'm studying the CDL handbook to learn all I can since I'm short on funds for the time being.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
.I do not proof read and make inadvertent errors, one of which you have indicated. Why do I not proof read? People like you do it for me and save me piles of time. Thank you! It is in fact a six speed manual and would have nothing else.
Better keep it for the 20 years, no more manual trucks in Ram Land!!!

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Better keep it for the 20 years, no more manual trucks in Ram Land!!!

I knew they were going but not that they were gone. I will keep it the twenty years and probably longer. Nothing like a manual for the heavy duty stuff. I realize transports have been running automatics for years now but here is the scoop. The army truck we have came from auction with an automatic. I blew it doing heavy work. Son said we should install a standard. I did not listen. Blew that one too. SO we went to a wrecker run by a man with 35 years experience with GM...a literal expert on anything GM. He sold us a pile of parts and I took it to my mechanic. He said there will be parts missing but I told him to do the job and I would worry about that. He installed the whole pile and NOTHING WAS MISSING! Still running strong after decades with same trans and clutch. End of story.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Deleted

Last edited: