How bad are short commutes really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Might depend on how long you intend to own the truck too. Looks like Scottly doesn't keep trucks more than a year or two. Probably not enough time for issues to show up.
And that's a fair statement. Interesting note: Big rigs (OTR trucks) have a replaceable/repairable catalyst in them...Our trucks don't. The big rigs have a process by which they remove it, give it a chemical bath, and reinstall....We have to replace the system at much greater expense. My understanding is that by driving the way I do, that might happen at the 100K mark due to a full clogging of the particulate filter. Truth be known, I'll probably not have that truck long enough to see it.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm still debating on whether to keep my power wagon or trade for a cummins. Your reply makes me lean more towards the latter...
This alleged "problem" of our diesels not liking short trips is probably way overexaggerated like most of the problems people complain about here.
Why? Because people mostly come here to complain about ANY problems they may have but very few come here to tell how good their truck is and are having no problems at all.

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
This alleged "problem" of our diesels not liking short trips is probably way overexaggerated like most of the problems people complain about here.
Why? Because people mostly come here to complain about ANY problems they may have but very few come here to tell how good their truck is and are having no problems at all.

Agree. The Exception and not the Rule, I never write good reviews for restauraunts, just trash the ****** ones

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I used my 2018 Cummins as a commuter...8 miles each way, 5 days a week. Grocery store on the weekends. Never got the REGEN message, but I know it was doing it's thing because I could smell it when I pulled into my office sometimes. My 2020 Chevy Duramax did the same thing...less driving due to COVID. just got a 2021 Cummins and don't really worry about it much. It's be fine.

What kind of mpg are you getting with your HO?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's fine. As long as you drive it enough to have to fill the def a couple times a year or syphon it out and put in fresh stuff annually and you let it idle and finish if it's doing a dpf burn instead of shutting it off part way through as that will eventually throw you into limp mode.The motor itself is fine with short trips. Just the emissions equipment that's the issue.

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
HO gets 15 on a good day and maybe 18 on the highway. The standard version 2500 I had was about 17 around town and 23-24 on the highway.

That seems to be enough of a jump for me to stick with the SO. My 5th wheel is only 13k & even if we upgrade, it likely wouldn't be much heavier. I would take the extra 2k hit cause I probably would get most of that back at trade in, but if it's going to cost me that much difference in fuel, I don't think it's worth it to have a HOo_O

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
That seems to be enough of a jump for me to stick with the SO. My 5th wheel is only 13k & even if we upgrade, it likely wouldn't be much heavier. I would take the extra 2k hit cause I probably would get most of that back at trade in, but if it's going to cost me that much difference in fuel, I don't think it's worth it to have a HOo_O
Not a bad decision on your part. I was quite surprised at the difference once I got it. Where it shines is when you load it down...You can' t beat the available torque, but that availability comes at the cost of some engine efficiencies.

Elvira

Reaction score
You are not driving the diesel hard enough on those school trips. Maybe take the long way home and run it more.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963