How do I get a newer version 8.4u with alpine sys for my 2015 Ram Sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trea954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 upgrading to 392 stroker super charged
I just installed a complete system in my Ram and am tired of this older version head unit and since sticking with OEM is the best option from what I can tell. I would like to know how I go about upgrading my stock OEM old version 8.4u? How much would you say, Can I get it from dodge, what all is needed?? Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you already have the 8.4 in your '15, the only OEM 8.4 upgrade is either a UAS or UAQ 8.4 radio(only difference is UAQ has factory navigation). Both support AndroidAuto or CarPlay depending on your flavor of mobile phone. Factory navigation is nothing to write home about and your better off using the navigation through AA or CP.
Your looking for a radio from/for a DS body trucks that '18 or newer. You'll also need to replace the Media USB hub in the center console along with the wiring adapter.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I just installed a complete system in my Ram and am tired of this older version head unit and since sticking with OEM is the best option from what I can tell. I would like to know how I go about upgrading my stock OEM old version 8.4u? How much would you say, Can I get it from dodge, what all is needed?? Thanks
Heck, Brother... you can purchase my 8.4 Uconnect head unit from my 19' if you like.

It was replaced with a new (not refurbished one) head unit from the factory in late 22'.
But, I'd recommend that you go with a Kenwood (or equivalent) double-din head unit and be done altogether with Uconnect.

I did this in my 19' because I was fed up with the continual Uconnect issues.

Aftermarket with the proper Can-Bus connections will net you far greater results IMHO.
I've got a 2100W system in my truck now, and it's incredible!

I've got a close friend that has a newer 3500 with the factory 19 speaker system and my upgraded 6-speaker system with 2 x 10" competition subs performs miles ahead of his factory 19 speaker system.

All just my $0.02 though ;)

reconranger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heck, Brother... you can purchase my 8.4 Uconnect head unit from my 19' if you like.

It was replaced with a new (not refurbished one) head unit from the factory in late 22'.
But, I'd recommend that you go with a Kenwood (or equivalent) double-din head unit and be done altogether with Uconnect.

I did this in my 19' because I was fed up with the continual Uconnect issues.

Aftermarket with the proper Can-Bus connections will net you far greater results IMHO.
I've got a 2100W system in my truck now, and it's incredible!

I've got a close friend that has a newer 3500 with the factory 19 speaker system and my upgraded 6-speaker system with 2 x 10" competition subs performs miles ahead of his factory 19 speaker system.

All just my $0.02 though ;)
Does your head unit have wireless carplay? Or just wired?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does your head unit have wireless carplay? Or just wired?
Wireless AndroidAuto/CarPlay support in the factory radios didn't start till the '22 model year (DT body 1500s or HD trucks).
AAWireless and Motorola both have wireless modules now that supports both AA and CP, you just plug them into the USB that you would use for a wired connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357