U1147 / Phoenix Automotive 12" T-Style Head / 2012 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I'm having some issues integrating a Phoenix Automotive head unit that I ordered back in November (yes, it's now mid-February). First, one thing I noticed after connecting AlfaOBD and checking for codes is that I have a U1147 fault code that is probably from having this unit attached and the vehicle not knowing what it is. It says that "reprogramming is required". Reprogramming what? The TIPM? The radio? It's little details like this that drive me crazy. If anyone knows what needs reprogramming, please let me know. Then I can ask how to reprogram it and which program to use.
Second, I've had about six or seven scheduled troubleshooting meetings with the folks at Phoenix Automotive and I've yet to get any answers about this issue that I've noticed. My truck is a 2012. When the unit arrived, it was set for a 2013 Low system. From everything I've read, the 2013 is vastly different than the 2012 as far as the can bus system is concerned. This would explain why none of the features on the Phoenix Automotive SC7862 work as they should. When I use the arrow down on the left side of the steering wheel control to change the dash display menu setting, the Phoenix Automotive head unit tries to update something unsuccessfully. I've tried explaining that to the tech support people at Phoenix Automotive, but they don't seem to care. It's either that they know that they don't have the correct integration programming in place and refuse to admit it, or they don't believe that there is any difference in the 2012 and 2013 systems. I've searched through all of the possible can bus vehicles that they included on their system and none have the 2012 RAM 1500. The versions of RAM that they do have are the 2013 Low and High, they have four or five different versions for the 2015 RAM, and there are two versions for the 2021 RAM. If they don't have the integration software, a different vehicle (possibly a Jeep or other Dodge vehicle) that will work at least mostly, then I'm returning the unit due to them advertising that it is compatible with the 2012 RAM but providing a head unit that is only physically compatible and not electrically compatible. My preference is to keep the head unit and have some version of the software that would, at least mostly, integrate to the vehicle's systems to provide most of the features and reason I bought a stupid head unit from some company that doesn't really understand can bus systems.
Any advice or information is helpful at this time.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm having some issues integrating a Phoenix Automotive head unit that I ordered back in November (yes, it's now mid-February). First, one thing I noticed after connecting AlfaOBD and checking for codes is that I have a U1147 fault code that is probably from having this unit attached and the vehicle not knowing what it is. It says that "reprogramming is required". Reprogramming what? The TIPM? The radio? It's little details like this that drive me crazy. If anyone knows what needs reprogramming, please let me know. Then I can ask how to reprogram it and which program to use.
Second, I've had about six or seven scheduled troubleshooting meetings with the folks at Phoenix Automotive and I've yet to get any answers about this issue that I've noticed. My truck is a 2012. When the unit arrived, it was set for a 2013 Low system. From everything I've read, the 2013 is vastly different than the 2012 as far as the can bus system is concerned. This would explain why none of the features on the Phoenix Automotive SC7862 work as they should. When I use the arrow down on the left side of the steering wheel control to change the dash display menu setting, the Phoenix Automotive head unit tries to update something unsuccessfully. I've tried explaining that to the tech support people at Phoenix Automotive, but they don't seem to care. It's either that they know that they don't have the correct integration programming in place and refuse to admit it, or they don't believe that there is any difference in the 2012 and 2013 systems. I've searched through all of the possible can bus vehicles that they included on their system and none have the 2012 RAM 1500. The versions of RAM that they do have are the 2013 Low and High, they have four or five different versions for the 2015 RAM, and there are two versions for the 2021 RAM. If they don't have the integration software, a different vehicle (possibly a Jeep or other Dodge vehicle) that will work at least mostly, then I'm returning the unit due to them advertising that it is compatible with the 2012 RAM but providing a head unit that is only physically compatible and not electrically compatible. My preference is to keep the head unit and have some version of the software that would, at least mostly, integrate to the vehicle's systems to provide most of the features and reason I bought a stupid head unit from some company that doesn't really understand can bus systems.
Any advice or information is helpful at this time.
If you can find the radio from another seller that posts the firmware files online it's possible to fix it using their firmware (except maybe Linkswell since they do some hardware customization) BUT I would just return it. You are right about the CANBUS and these radios quickly becomes problematic without the proper CANBUS integration.

OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
That's bad news, but thank you for the information. Sadly, they sent me a unit with a defective AC board. They sent me a replacement board and I attempted to replace it, but they glued the connectors in, which in my world having worked with vehicular electronics for the past thirty years, gluing any connector together is the most wrong thing a tech can do. In replacing the board, one connector broke and I couldn't get it working. They have ordered a replacement but I'm still waiting on it. I was going to wait until I received it, but I might simply call tomorrow and ask only one question. "do you have the software for a 2012 Ram 1500?" I know they will say that I'll have to wait to get the cable replaced first, but Its been four months now. I'm hesitant to do it because it will be a lot of work putting all of the old crud back. My radio died some time ago and I've tried two aftermarket pieces of junk, and in the process, I've torn up the plate, specifically, I had to cut a piece out right above where the stock radio fits to get one of the aftermarket garbage units to fit well. So, I'm in a bit of a quandary. I have the Pheonix Automotive unit working well through the OBDII connection, but not on the can bus. If I try another unit like this, there are no guarantees that it will have the correct software either. If anyone else has a 2012 Ram and has installed one of the T-style units successfully, let me know which one you have that works so I can at least look at getting one that fits physically and integrates electronically.
Thanks again for the honest answer.

Oh, one other thing that I haven't tried and don't know if anyone has. Since I had two aftermarket universal fit head units previously, I have a Metra Axxess can bus box for the head unit and for steering wheel control (actually I have several can bus modules that I tried and didn't return). I was thinking of connecting them between the Phoenix Automotive head unit and the truck but I didn't think it would change much without the correct software. If anyone knows if that is a possibility, it might save me several days of reading about the what the other can bus boxes can and can't do. Any information is welcome before I go down another rabbit hole that I really don't have time for anymore.
Thanks.

Last edited:

jriptide38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i just istalled a tesla 12.1 in my ram i ordered mine from autotech pro . and its working fine , did u happen to notivce if they sent u a can bus for urs so that it would bwe able to communicate with the pcm i know some times thye for get to sent ur casnbus box and with out it want communicate

OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
It has a can bus module built in the unit, but they only reference it for plugging it in with the other harnesses. It's been doing some strange things like when I use the menu down button on the steering wheel, the head unit starts beeping like its loading new firmware. I haven't returned it because I've found some people who have built custom firmware. I haven't had enough time to really check out what they've done other than they built a far better launcher than Phoenix Automotive's launcher that really sucks. Unfortunately, I've been dealing with some brake issues that have plagued me for a year and a half, mostly just a light on for traction control. But, something new happened with the brakes. I ordered new upgraded calipers that were supposed to come with steel pistons, but AC Delco decided to switch to the phenolic. I decided to try them and as I thought It's been a year and I have busted pistons. So, my free time has been used hunting the right sized steel pistons or searching for a machine shop that will fabricate some for me. You'd think that asking people if the piston is 55.9mm in diameter would be a simple question, but apparently in the US, they don't list spec sheets for pistons and won't tell customers what size they are. I can get this information on European sites, which is strange. Do they not trust us in the US and think we will make our vehicles dangerous???? (noooooooo, no way, right? considering that I just put a 12" compute screen on my dash,....)

OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
DON'T BUY A HEAD UNIT FROM PHOENIX AUTOMOTIVE!!!!
I'm gave Phoenix Automotive a last try to get the correct files for the 2012 RAM 1500 to me. They had me schedule a tech support call with Jinjun Myung. He seems like a nice guy in a tough situation. As with all of the other tech support calls, they sent a link, had me download the "newest" Simplecanbus.bin files (I found that it was from 9/11/2023) and update the can bus file used by the system.
Nothing changed. I still get the U1147 and when I press the steering wheel control down arrow key, the unit beeps like crazy as if the head unit is trying reconfigure something. Jinjun Myung was no longer on the phone so I went through all of the functions that still don't work and then repeated the original issue which was that it gives a U1147 fault code and the beeping after arrow down.
I then called their customer support. My message was that I would really prefer that they provide the software needed to get this head unit to integrate. They have Ferrari models, Lamborghini models, Maserati models and super cars listed as if someone with one of those is going to purchase one of their units to install in their super-car, yeah right! I asked why they would advertise specifically that their head unit was compatible with the 2009-2012 RAM 1500 when it clearly wasn't. They had no answer. I asked if there was any other software that they had that listed the 2012 RAM 1500, the phone went silent.
Then I informed them of the laws in the Great State of Texas, specifically the Texas Deceptive Trades and Practices Act of 1973. More than a consumer protection law, this law involves the sellers, manufacturers, and producers of goods, products, and/or services with regard to their rights to do business in Texas. As part of that law, not only am I, the consumer, covered for all of my expenses, which was more than the purchase of the unit, but I'm also covered for other costs and the trebling of damages (or 3x the costs). Even more, when reported to the state officials, they can be barred from doing business in Texas as many companies have been for making false claims of their products, goods, and/or services. The young man on the phone of course had nothing to reply. He asked me to hold. About five minutes later, he said he would be sending me a return label, but I told him that wasn't good enough. I asked him that Phoenix stop advertising compatibility claims that were untrue. He said nothing even after I prompted a response. He repeated that he was emailing me a return label. I again said, "not enough, stop advertising to Ram owners that your system is compatible". He again said nothing. After a while of doing this, he said that was all he could do at the moment and he sounded very nervous.
I'll write a letter to the state and return my head unit, and I will be shopping for something else while I drive around with a giant freaking hole in my dashboard.
Whatever you do -
DON'T BUY A HEAD UNIT FROM PHOENIX AUTOMOTIVE!!!!

OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
i just istalled a tesla 12.1 in my ram i ordered mine from autotech pro . and its working fine , did u happen to notivce if they sent u a can bus for urs so that it would bwe able to communicate with the pcm i know some times thye for get to sent ur casnbus box and with out it want communicate
@jriptide38 What year is your truck?

OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Okay, so I'm still sort of fighting this code because something just isn't quite right. Nothing is really working poorly, but because of my background in avionics and aviation electronics repair, these little codes can creep up to cause much bigger problems later. It has a U1147 code and while I was repairing the ABS system which I had to replace the ABS pump (and controller as i was incorrectly told), now I have a U0102 code for not being able to communicate with the transfer case. My truck is a RWD, there isn't a transfer case because the power isn't getting distributed between the axles. There is only one axle getting power, no t-case needed.

I think the U0102 came from the used ABS controller that I installed to test if mine was working or not. It must have come from a 4x4 model. I'll have to painstakingly go through and check all of the settings that would make the computer think it has a transfer case.

The more concerning code is the U1147 fault. This one is more of a mystery because it's saying that this is an unknown can-bus module. Really? Everything was supposed to work and communicate, how to do I get rid of this code and what is this module? Is this the Phoenix Automotive head unit having issues of some kind?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357