How do people detail/maintain their Power Wagons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As a new owner I'd like to hear how people are detailing their Power Wagons. We have decals to contend with among other actual truck components (lockers etc) that other 2500/3500s don't have. Feel free to share tips and tricks. I would certainly appreciate it. You can toss other maintenance items here if ya want too. Locker maintenance etc.

RagnarNorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Be careful with the power wagon stickers / decals. They can mar easily when cleaning. I accidentally slide a can of window cleaner over the hood decal and it left an indented streak over the sticker. Minor issue if you are off-roading, pin stripping is guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I debadged mine. The remaining stickers can stay until an issues arise as they are ultimately just stickers. I run mine through the car wash quarterly and rinse mud off the undercarriage about weekly. Any heavy rain puddles 3 inches of rain from my office and I’ll purposely drive fast through it for the undercarriage too. I fill up twice weekly and wipe the inside down while waiting on the pump. You need to read the locker thread(about 39 down from this one) as it all you’ll need to know on that. Mention oil change and you’ll get 100 opinions. I buy Mobile 1 0w40 twenty gallons at a time along with 3 Napa Gold filters(Wix makes) which is three oil changes for $130. Some guy on the heavy duty thread put almost 500,000(all towing)on a 6.4 Hemi with Mobile 1 and retired it to the driveway. However, FCA recommends PUP but they also own Penzoil. Other things to know, it’s a 31 gallon tank but EVIC says you’re out at 25 gallons, no matter how low the windshield wiper tanks get it will never hold an entire gallon of $3 blue water and people will rubber neck looking at your truck. The ********* in the Rebel will wave every morning but the a$$hole in the jacked up Cummings won’t. That’s about all you need to know about your new PW. Best truck you’ll ever own!

Last edited:

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spray wax works on the paint and decals. I have been using M-1 in all my modern HEMIs with MOPAR filters from W.M. 1/4 tank is the new "empty" in all my vehicles. ALRedneck, ya gotta run it with the low light on for a bit then a gallon will fit. If you aren't using the 4WD often, find a dirt road to lock the diffs and unlock the sway bar every so often. Mine took a bit to loosen up. If you have an unusual noise or occurrence, just ask on the forum, there are many that have heard it too and have the answer. Awesome truck!

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I appreciate the information guys. Yeah it’s been rubberneck city. The only truck that might get more looks is my dads 2500 Laramie longhorn mega cab. Good to know on the mobile one. Oil is freaking expensive otherwise. I e read the locker thread and plan on doing a bit of maintenance along with changing out the differential covers to aev and eventually fox shocks.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like to maintain mine with a fresh layer of new dirt everyday lol. Wish I could keep it clean but I can’t. Interior is a different story though. typically very neat

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's not a terrible. Price. What do they do to the exterior?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Quarterly or thereabouts I’ll wash mine properly, then clay it and seal it with something that doesn’t leave white residue on black plastic. Lately using Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish.

In between I’ll use just a pressure washer or a touchless car wash. It’s my thinking the best way to protect the paint is to avoid rubbing dirt into it, which is why I literally don’t touch it between doing a complete reapplication of sealer.

For the same reason, I never use polish, buffers, or anything abrasive that will thin the clearcoat. If it gets a scratch, it’s gonna stay there. If I ever break out polishing compound, I’m getting it ready to sell :D

I’m less concerned with a bright and shiny everyday appearance than I am with long term preservation of the paint.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Annual payment of 179 for full detail....
By me the hand car wash interior and exterior detail cost me two bills. I normally do it 2 times a year or so.

I like to get just the interior done a few times a year also. They make it look like a new car off the lot every time. It’s pretty awesome and worth the money for me. Usually $100. Have to leave for a more than a few hours.

in between that I just power wash the exterior. It typically always has a layer of dirt on it though. I don’t get crazy with it because it’s in dirt and mud every day

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah not much you can do on them I'm guessing. I do notice the one negative of them though is that they aren't all that protective against rock chips as I have several already.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah not much you can do on them I'm guessing. I do notice the one negative of them though is that they aren't all that protective against rock chips as I have several already.

My rear withstand trailer rock throwing chips.
Had several chips on tailgate but none on bumper. Lucky or better paint?

Scrapped my front bumper on a big rock and it holded well.
Only minor scratches and was easy to add a little mat black paint.

Easy to clean, easy to repair.
I would prefer a 1/4" h beam but for everyday use, it's solid.

Edit:
No chrome or paint scratch, no rust bits on chrome. Love those bumpers.