How To 4th gen tow mirror parking light mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone ever do this using the illumination wire to the door switch vs running a wire into the cab? Or to the door handle light wiring?

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like OG/BG on the passenger side is illumination.

21BB867B-C21C-411B-A7E4-90AB54027238.jpeg

Activate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 1998
Engine
360 and 410 with SC
Will this work with the 2015 Laramie folding mirror?
I want to use it as a DRL so I will take take a positive from the windowswitch I guess

Thanks and greetings,

Erik

jagu366

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
With thisr led lights going bad so much and fast, I wonder how they'll hold up being constantly on.

Activate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 1998
Engine
360 and 410 with SC
Made the mod today, used a wire from the windowsswitch to get it working, looks good!

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Anyone ever do this using the illumination wire to the door switch vs running a wire into the cab? Or to the door handle light wiring?

I did. I used the door pocket light positive wire. If I remember correctly it is yellow with a brown tracer on driver's side and yellow with a purple tracer on the passenger side. Works great as that light only comes on when the headlights function. Beats chasing a wire into the cab and under the dash. All seems to work well and as desired so far.

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did. I used the door pocket light positive wire. If I remember correctly it is yellow with a brown tracer on driver's side and yellow with a purple tracer on the passenger side. Works great as that light only comes on when the headlights function. Beats chasing a wire into the cab and under the dash. All seems to work well and as desired so far.
Could you post some more details? I'd like to do this too.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Could you post some more details? I'd like to do this too.
Behind the door panel, using the two wire harness that powers the LED door pocket light, I spliced the positive from the JHD Lighting kit (https://jhdlighting.bigcartel.com/products). This wire only powers up when the running lights come on.
As mentioned above, it is a yellow wire with a brown tracer on the driver side door and a yellow wire with a purple tracer on the passenger side. I would offer to take the panel off and take pictures for you but I wrapped the wires up after making the connections to give the appearance it is part of the factory loom. If you post a pic of the harness with the panel removed I'd be happy to point out the wire.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Behind the door panel, using the two wire harness that powers the LED door pocket light, I spliced the positive from the JHD Lighting kit (https://jhdlighting.bigcartel.com/products). This wire only powers up when the running lights come on.
As mentioned above, it is a yellow wire with a brown tracer on the driver side door and a yellow wire with a purple tracer on the passenger side. I would offer to take the panel off and take pictures for you but I wrapped the wires up after making the connections to give the appearance it is part of the factory loom. If you post a pic of the harness with the panel removed I'd be happy to point out the wire.

Any chance you can tell me what pins on the door module? I have a tradesman so I don't have the wiring, but I do have door modules for a higher trim truck... TIA

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The wires did not appear to connect to the module but were tied into the primary loom that runs through the pillar and into the cab.
There are actually two secondary harnesses pulling from the main door loom on my truck, a 2014 Laramie CCSB. One is a sub-harness for the inner door handle which seems to illuminate when I unlock the truck, when the headlamps are on and when the truck is in the running position whether the engine is running or not. The other sub-harness illuminates the door pocket which functions the same but does not stay on when the truck is running unless the headlights are on which is the only time I wanted the mirror lights to come on. Can't really see them during the day anyway so why waste the LED life. It was that positive lead in this two wire sub-harness where I made the connection, from the door pocket illumination.
Not sure if this makes sense unless you pull your panel and have the pocket illumination. I will see if I can snatch one of the panels in the next few days and peel back the tape enough to help take a few pictures.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The wires did not appear to connect to the module but were tied into the primary loom that runs through the pillar and into the cab.
There are actually two secondary harnesses pulling from the main door loom on my truck, a 2014 Laramie CCSB. One is a sub-harness for the inner door handle which seems to illuminate when I unlock the truck, when the headlamps are on and when the truck is in the running position whether the engine is running or not. The other sub-harness illuminates the door pocket which functions the same but does not stay on when the truck is running unless the headlights are on which is the only time I wanted the mirror lights to come on. Can't really see them during the day anyway so why waste the LED life. It was that positive lead in this two wire sub-harness where I made the connection, from the door pocket illumination.
Not sure if this makes sense unless you pull your panel and have the pocket illumination. I will see if I can snatch one of the panels in the next few days and peel back the tape enough to help take a few pictures.

I definitely don't have the pocket illumination on my truck. Wondering if I still have the wire in the door or in the cab harness.

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the pink one
I don't have a pink one, my truck is a 2016 and has one connector that plugs into the switch. What year is your truck, did you have one or two connectors?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Activate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 1998
Engine
360 and 410 with SC
2015 with on the passenger side 1 connector and driver side two

kegger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
So could I run a single wire from the fuse panel box (clearance lights fuse) into the cab and use that? That should work yes?

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
I like to be visible to other motorist and decided to install this mod. I gathered the parts as describe in the initial post and soldered the harness in place. Not wanting to cut the mirror wires I used terminals(100 min order) left over from other projects. This will allow removal of the harness if necessary and restore to factory install. I searched for a power lead in the existing door harness without success and in the end pinned wires to the door connectors on both sides and ran the wires to the headlight switch. Tested successfully and wrapped the harness with Tesa tape. The mirror “running lights” can’t be seen from within the cab. Thanks to myoung84 and others who provided input for this mod.