How to get Clay Mud stains out of the factory rubber mats - 1500 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Nused (new to me) truck has the factory rubber mats. I live in rural VA, the land of the famed Virginia Red Clay. I have tried several things to get rid of the brown/reddish stain on the mats.
Any ideas on how to accomplish this task? I clean the truck at least once a week, including vacuuming and trying various cleaners to remove/reduce the stains.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

BlueHemi 1500

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Try Simple Green if you haven't already

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try Dawn Dish Soap also.

That's a great idea.

Any of the more experienced dive boat operators always kept a jug of Dawn onboard for certain shipwrecks that were prone to oil deposits.

And, AFAIK, it is still the number 1 solution for cleaning oil-soaked wildlife during spill disasters.

OP
OP
B

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the suggestions. I have not tried any of the suggestions.
I will have to try and locate Simple Green. I have Dawn and love that stuff - I had not tried that for the mud as I do not suspect any oil(s) in the mud, but it just might work.
Keep on suggesting. Currently, I'm in the midst of a tropical storm I will try Dawn tomorrow and report back on my experience.

BlueHemi1500

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will have to try and locate Simple Green. I have Dawn and love that stuff - I had not tried that for the mud as I do not suspect any oil(s) in the mud, but it just might work.
Keep on suggesting. Currently, I'm in the midst of a tropical storm I will try Dawn tomorrow and report back on my experience.

BlueHemi1500
Maybe hang yer Mats up on a line they way we used to hang up cast iron pans in your current storm? (sic)... Dawn sounds like the ticket.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
buy new mats and start over. clean them regularly if it really bugs you that much.once dirt gets ground in it ain't coming out.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

BlueHemi1500

You can buy Simple Green at Home Depot or from Amazon.

I buy Crystal Simple Green to 'O2 clean' scuba tanks and regulator parts, the best deal when I last bought a jug was from Amazon.com. The Crystal version is clear, without the green residue. :cool:

Billy Ocean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here in Georgia we have that nasty red clay as well. I use a product called "Tuff Stuff" on my aftermarket mats. Foam spray gets the job done followed up with a quick brush scrub, and rinse.

CraigS41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in Northern CA, we have the red clay as well. I can't not get it on the mats, especially when launching and retrieving my boat, as well as the winter mud/ Power washer and a brush works for me. Either dawn power wash, or Castol Supper Clean

OP
OP
B

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got some simple green concentrate and a spray bottle from the local Wal-Mart. I made up a mix, and seem to have gotten the majority of the mud stains out of the rubber mats. The red clay stains are greatly reduced. I was previously using some form of glass cleaner with no success.
My truck is not just a truck, the truck is also a family/guest/business hauler. On weekends, my truck earns its keep as a truck hauling things that do not fit in our outback easily.
I have cleaned my truck at least 2x a week since I have owned the truck including vacuuming the inside, debugging the outside, and cleaning wheels and tires.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Diluted Dawn dish detergent and a stiff scrub brush did the trick for me.

Redbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 & 2016
Engine
3.0L
My Nused (new to me) truck has the factory rubber mats. I live in rural VA, the land of the famed Virginia Red Clay. I have tried several things to get rid of the brown/reddish stain on the mats.
Any ideas on how to accomplish this task? I clean the truck at least once a week, including vacuuming and trying various cleaners to remove/reduce the stains.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

BlueHemi 1500
It seems the "red" in red clay is hematite, iron ore, or iron oxide, and a rust stain remover would be worth a try. Failing in that, try the "industrial strength" vinegar sold by Lowes or Home Depot; the mild acid their should remove iron or aluminum oxides.
Then the pressure washer...