How to paint your wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckleinfeld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured I'd make my first thread a DIY I did a while back. Please keep in mind, I did this as more of a trial run, with intents to powder coat when it's time for new tires. I spent a handful of summers in a body shop growing up, so I had half an idea where to start with paint. I didn't want to set up my garage and a spray gun to do it "right". It felt a little shady, but outside in the front yard with rattle cans it was. I wanted to see what sort of results could be had with a modern rattle can system as well, something I've been curious about for a while. I'll be fairly detailed, in hopes this thread is helpful for someone.

First step after a thorough cleaning and degreasing was to scuff with red scotch-brite. If it still shines, your'e not done.

49TH46t.jpg

After taping everything off, and thoroughly cleaning again with compressed air and prepsol, I applied SEM black high build primer. This is some of the best rattle can primer I've found.

VMolqpd.jpg

After a couple coats of high build primer, it was time to scuff again with red scotch-brite.

TfQAUjN.jpg

If you've spent any time painting, you understand prep work. Time to clean again. Compressed air, prepsol, and a tack cloth prior to applying SEM Factory Pack black basecoat. I applied 4 or 5 coats of base, allowing the prior coat to flash and tack clothing before the next coat. ~10 minutes in the weather I was working in.

qpYoqJv.jpg

Once the base coat was done, it was time for clear. Wait for the last coat of base to flash, and wipe down lightly with the tack cloth. If you wait longer than ~2 hours (temp and humidity dependent), you'll want to scuff (lots of opinions here, just read the instructions on the material you're spraying). I used Spray Max 2K matte clear. Mask required. It was my first time using this stuff. Took a bit to get use to, as they spray is pretty light. It's was easy to spray "dry", and not get the build you're looking for. This yields a rough surface as well. Practice. I shot 4 coats, allowing time to flash and tack cloth between. Yep, that's grass in the picture....hence all the tack clothing.

nnOoyS7.jpg

It's been about 6 months now, everything is holding up well. All in all, I'm happy with the results. Who knows, I may just leave it and not powder coat?

3tIKUcg.jpg

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great, don't think I'd bother with powder coating unless it gets messed up somehow.

I did the RX7 rims on my Mazda 3 like that, but I didn't put clear on. I did leave them out in the sun for about a week before getting the tires put on. Been a few years and they still look great.

I'd love to get a set of those rims on my truck - the factory chrome clad aren't my favorites.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn