How to remove wax residue from black panels between upper doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Afternoon folks!

I have a new-to-me, low mileage, 2017 RAM 1500 Limited which was purchased from a non-RAM dealer last year. This dealership washed and waxed the truck when they put it on display, and I noticed that the black panels (applied film?) on the door pillars had a "mottled" white appearance. I figure this is residue from the waxing/detailing work, but don't know if a product can remove it and restore the black. I've gently rubbed the areas with soapy water applied with a brush but it didn't improve the appearance.

Attached are pictures of what I'm describing, one with flash the other without.

Can anyone suggest a method and product for removing this "blanched/bleached" look? I was thinking to try Meguiar's "Magic Black" but haven't done so yet (not so sure if it would work since it's meant for bumpers and plastic).

This is an unsightly "blemish" on such a nice vehicle and I hope I can get rid of it.

Thanks for your assistance and suggestions.

Cheers,

EAS

RAM Pillar Whitening (1).jpg RAM Pillar Whitening (2).jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
have you considered just pulling it off, its vehicle color matched underneath?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
worse case, some later have added gloss black, or matte black back onto it with wrap if you dont like the color matched.

OP
OP
E

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Graygoose:

No, I hadn't considered removing the film as it LOOKS like it's tightly bonded to the door frame. But I won't know unless I try. What I'll do first, however, is drop by my local RAM dealer and inquire as to whether these panels can be removed and how to do that (heat gun, I'm guessin'). At the same time, I'll find out how much they cost to replace in case I need to go that route - a.k.a. "Plan B."

Thanks!

EAS

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Eric--maybe check the "DYI" section on how to remove the tape. I think lots of guys have done it and I bet there is a write up. If it's not in the DYI section try the search function. That might save you a trip to the dealer.
Jay

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took my vinyl off. Some take the vinyl off and paint the door pillars black, others will put vinyl back on.20200119_150519.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Grab a blow dryer and get after it.

OP
OP
E

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys:

Many thanks for your suggestions and photos in reply to my question. Following "Pull Ya"'s idea, I did find a DIY article on the Forum with several videos included which show how to take the vinyl panels off. Some folks used a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the adhesive, while others coaxed, prodded and pulled the material away. Pretty straightforward technique after all and yields a much better look. Great!

I'll give this procedure a go this weekend and use a hair-dryer (or at least try it).

Your comments are much appreciated!

EAS

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Cool, we have your before pics, post up after when done. Be good for others to check back on.

OP
OP
E

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our Ceramic Trim restorer would work well on your trim. Just follow instructions...….

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/ceramic-trim-coating-kit/products/ceramic-black-trim-restorer

Hi:

Was wondering if this product would help restore (re-darken) the interior door panels (dark grey in color) of my 2017 Limited which have faded a little? Although the truck was cared for by its previous owner, he wasn't as much of a cleaning zealot as I am. So anything I can find to get the "beast" back to nearly new condition is definitely on my "radar!"

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Cheers!

EAS

OP
OP
E

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Afternoon!

Well, they're off and my truck looks a whole lot better! Took about 1.25 - 1.5 hours to remove all 4 vinyl panels from the doors with the only "casualty" being an irritated pad on my right thumb.

I found that the best technique was to peel back the upper corners of the panel (easier on the rear doors than the fronts) and then pull each side of the vinyl down, left then toward the center. That way the peeled-back material provided enough grip and surface tension to pull off the vinyl which was folded behind the door edge. Getting the vinyl to pull out from behind the decorative door trim was problematic; on 2 doors the material tore at the edge. No big problem; I pulled the trim away (after undoing the securing screw) and ran a razor blade through the remaining material at an angle parallel to and below the trim. Scraped the vinyl out or pushed it down so the trim piece nicely covered the boo-boo. Rubbing alcohol applied to a clean cloth removed the residual adhesive. Looks great now!

At the same time I took off the AVS window visors/vents which had come with the truck. I didn't find them all that effective in wet weather, plus one had developed several cracks. So off they came! Used a blow-dryer to heat up the mounting adhesive, then worked the visors up and out to release them from the door. Used my thumb to roll up the residual mounting tape into balls, while rubbing alcohol (and my thumbnail) took off "ridges" which had formed over time. I'll install "Weathertech" in-channel visors in the next couple of weeks (I've used Weathertech's visors on my last 4 vehicles and they've been awesome!).

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and helpful tips. Nice to have those ugly, whitened panels gone!

"Post-Op" photos will come later this week.

Cheers,

EAS

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Hi:

Was wondering if this product would help restore (re-darken) the interior door panels (dark grey in color) of my 2017 Limited which have faded a little? Although the truck was cared for by its previous owner, he wasn't as much of a cleaning zealot as I am. So anything I can find to get the "beast" back to nearly new condition is definitely on my "radar!"

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Cheers!

EAS
That is a good question, I have never used it on the interior. However it should work the only thing is the color. The Trim Coating is black.

OP
OP
E

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Morning!

A while ago I promised to post a photo once I removed the discolored vinyl film panels between the front and rear doors. Well, I did the work and then neglected to take a picture. Well, here it is! The vinyl was a "trial" to remove but did come off quite cleanly once i got the hang of what I was doing. Truck looks so much better with those ruined panels off.

RAM Door Frame (no vinyl).jpg

Thanks y'all!

Eric S.

Dad_Jokes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
happen to have a pic a little further back so I can see a bit more of the side profile. I'm still back and forth if I want to remove mine or not.

OP
OP
E

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Dad Jokes"

Here is the photo you requested, I hope. The "ripples" in the paintwork are reflections of trees moving with wind.

RAM Door Frame shot (no vinyl).jpg

Cheers,

Eric S.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye