How to reset the head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukrkoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7Magnum
Hi all
I have 2019 RAM1500 Big Horn. Not sure what's the size, I have touchscreen, no CD player, have BT and SXM. I think it's 8 or so inch screen.
Anyhow. 2nd time in 5000 miles of ownership, I had no sound situation. No sound, no BT, no phone connection. I can make AM/FM work, but that's about it.
It happened 5 or so months ago and, after multiple restarts, head unit came back to normal.
Same happened today. After about 20 restarts and regular driving, it came back to life.
I found numerous posts online about similar situations. I get it, electronics and spotty software, not even much upset. Problem is, it locks my phone while driving, I can't use hands free and have to disconnect BT on the phone to be able to call and receive calls. Plus, it's hell of annoying on a new truck.

That said, cure is to drive to dealer to have it reset or do hard reset.

How do I do hard reset? Soft reset, with pressing 2 round buttons on the head unit, does not work.

I can't find fuse for it either, I read user manual about six times, no mentioning of radio or else fuse.

I'd rather not be disconnecting battery every time this happens.

Anyone has good way to reset head unit in situations like this?

Thank you

OP
OP
ukrkoz

ukrkoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7Magnum
Ah, nice.
Thank you.
Will I lose all presets for connected devices same time? Phone, etc?

OP
OP
ukrkoz

ukrkoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7Magnum
Yep, found that fuse.
On mine, it's a bit farther back behind the booster can. Tiny little yellow fuse.
Thanks, man. Hope I won't be resorting to this too often.