I wanna go fast, but I've got a 5 speed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2011 5.7 has the 5 speed and i love it... tuned it with diablo i3 mds off. I drove a 8 speed and fking hate it dont think il ever buy one with a 8 speed its so slow and up shifts to early my truck is quick/fun to drive and i pull my car trailer with no probs 200k miles.

Last edited:

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ that’s an interesting opinion, you know you can tune shift points with the diablo right?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ that’s an interesting opinion, you know you can tune shift points with the diablo right?

yes and it never worked out right i had a 2012 for a short bit with the 8 speed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
yes and it never worked out right i had a 2012 for a short bit with the 8 speed.

Gonna have to call ******** on you lad.They didn't put the 8 speed in 2012 trucks.So that makes it a little tough to believe much of what you're saying,or even if you actually drove one.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The ZF 8HP attached to the Hemi will put a bus length on anything 5/6speed with comparable mods.

I would’ve hung on to the 2012 with the dial shifter, it’s a prototype R&D limited edition.
I happen to agree with you about the performance of the ZF 8HP70/90 transmissions. The performance and efficiency is light years ahead of the RFE and NAG1 units.

The biggest downfall of the RFE units is the gear ratio spread and their inherent weakness for WOT downshifts.

The 7.0 gear ratio spread of the
ZF 8HP units makes them a blast to drive IMO.

If you take matching RAM 1500 trucks and the only difference being one is equipped with the RFE and the other is equipped with the ZF 8HP70, the ZF truck will gap the RFE truck for days.

The 4.71:1 low gear versus the 3.00:1 low gear is a huge factor when getting these heavy pieces of machinery moving.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I happen to agree with you about the performance of the ZF 8HP70/90 transmissions. The performance and efficiency is light years ahead of the RFE and NAG1 units.

The biggest downfall of the RFE units is the gear ratio spread and their inherent weakness for WOT downshifts.

The 7.0 gear ratio spread of the
ZF 8HP units makes them a blast to drive IMO.

If you take matching RAM 1500 trucks and the only difference being one is equipped with the RFE and the other is equipped with the ZF 8HP70, the ZF truck will gap the RFE truck for days.

The 4.71:1 low gear versus the 3.00:1 low gear is a huge factor when getting these heavy pieces of machinery moving.

O-man you're gonna get a couple genius's who don't understand "Torque Multiplication" telling you different,lol.
I've had this conversation already with one guy in particular,lol. Even set an example for him with numbers and he still didn't get it,lol.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Gonna have to call ******** on you lad.They didn't put the 8 speed in 2012 trucks.So that makes it a little tough to believe much of what you're saying,or even if you actually drove one.
Maybe he thought it was a 2012 if he drove the 2013 in that year.....LoL

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is a "bus length" a standard unit of measure?

Light years? Really? Wow. It took until early 2018 for the 8 speed guys to topple Matt's 545RFE record.

I'll concede the 8 is a better transmission. If you're a huge fan, that's cool. But in the real world, most of us don't even know where the nearest 1/4 mile strip is. And there's always someone a little faster. As long as you're having fun with your truck, who cares.

If you'll downshift with your Slap Stick instead of your right foot, the old 545RFE will last quite a while.

But the biggie for me personally is, it would cost $25,000 to get into a comprable new 8 speed truck. A bus length, and an mpg simply isn't worth it.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
O-man you're gonna get a couple genius's who don't understand "Torque Multiplication" telling you different,lol.
I've had this conversation already with one guy in particular,lol. Even set an example for him with numbers and he still didn't get it,lol.
Yeah I knew when I posted this one that I was setting myself up for maybe some harsh criticism and quite possibly some name calling. I don't really give a sh*t. Someone will always question you.

Oh well. It's the life of the forums.

The good thing is I don't build trucks or race cars or turn wrenches here in the forum. I provide insight and opinions and people are allowed to read them if they want.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the advent of newer and better(in some peoples opinion)equipment such as the 8 speed trans, a lot of people seem to forget one very important factor----what's behind the steering wheel. You can have the best equipment and the fastest truck but if you don't know what the ***k your doing you'll get to see taillights every time.
Jay

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
With the advent of newer and better(in some peoples opinion)equipment such as the 8 speed trans, a lot of people seem to forget one very important factor----what's behind the steering wheel. You can have the best equipment and the fastest truck but if you don't know what the ***k your doing you'll get to see taillights every time.
Jay
Totally agree Jay. I have been the slower car sitting at the tree plenty of times and been able to outrun the faster car to the stripe mainly because of a holeshot or poor driving in the other lane.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah I knew when I posted this one that I was setting myself up for maybe some harsh criticism and quite possibly some name calling. I don't really give a sh*t. Someone will always question you.

Oh well. It's the life of the forums.

The good thing is I don't build trucks or race cars or turn wrenches here in the forum. I provide insight and opinions and people are allowed to read them if they want.

Can you guess who the genius is that i'm referring too,as he stuck his nose into this thread finally,lol. Yes RLJ we know it took the 8 speed guys awhile to catch Matt's old record,it took a few years before anybody built anything comparable in an 8 speed truck. As Fast stated Mod for Mod on a bolt-on truck the 8 speed will always win.Just for the record there's never been a bolt-on 5/6 speed ever get close to the 11's,**** i'm not even sure there was a bolt-on 4th Gen 5 or 6 speed that ever broke the 12's ,and there's a few bolt-on 8 speed trucks in the 11's now.One other thing is you can actually drive an 8 speed like everything else,floor it when you want,none of this **** about having to plan ahead and make sure you've pre-downshifted your RFE before flooring it,and you can also run them wide open in overdrive ,with-out them scattering parts.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can you guess who the genius is that i'm referring too,as he stuck his nose into this thread finally,lol. Yes RLJ we know it took the 8 speed guys awhile to catch Matt's old record,it took a few years before anybody built anything comparable in an 8 speed truck. As Fast stated Mod for Mod on a bolt-on truck the 8 speed will always win.Just for the record there's never been a bolt-on 5/6 speed ever get close to the 11's,**** i'm not even sure there was a bolt-on 4th Gen 5 or 6 speed that ever broke the 12's ,and there's a few bolt-on 8 speed trucks in the 11's now.One other thing is you can actually drive an 8 speed like everything else,floor it when you want,none of this **** about having to plan ahead and make sure you've pre-downshifted your RFE before flooring it,and you can also run them wide open in overdrive ,with-out them scattering parts.
You were dead on with that one. There is always a story about how this one ran that or this one has the record with this. That is not what I was talking about. I was simply making a point about the 8HP units being superior to the RFE especially in the performance and efficiency department.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the future, do I need your permission to speak? I was under the impression this was public forum.

I'm not saying th 8 isn't a better tranny, but light years?

The fact remains, it took until 2018 for an 8 to break Matt's record, and it was by 1/100 of a second, not .5. Matt practically wrote an instruction manual how to go fast. He will sell all the parts it takes to do it.

I am of the opinion that the 8 was adopted for one reason: fuel economy. FCA is tired of buying carbon credits from Tesla. They don't give a crap if you ever change the fluid in the thing or not. They were able to achieve the mpg they wanted, and dont bother tell you how much cost and trouble there is to maintaining the thing.

These trucks were never intended to be drag raced, because very few of us have more than a passing interest in that. To 99% of us they're a truck. A fun truck. Nothing more. Quit slinging **** at the 545, and I'll quit sticking my nose in your thread, that you own, and have exclusive rights to.