If your 4th gen ram has a leak into the rear cab, read this!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OscartheGrouchh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
My 2010 ram would always have a leak spot in the rear of the cab by the back glass, every time it rained or when I washed it. I think I fixed it. I believe it was the 3rd brake light that wasn’t sealing very well, it has a gasket but water would still seep in there making the leak go all inside the cab and down to the floor. I took out the brake light, installed new LED bulbs, and I sealed it with clear silicone. I also sealed around the antenna on the roof just in case. Today rained pretty hard, so I checked inside the cab and voila! No wet spots anywhere.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2010 ram would always have a leak spot in the rear of the cab by the back glass, every time it rained or when I washed it. I think I fixed it. I believe it was the 3rd brake light that wasn’t sealing very well, it has a gasket but water would still seep in there making the leak go all inside the cab and down to the floor. I took out the brake light, installed new LED bulbs, and I sealed it with clear silicone. I also sealed around the antenna on the roof just in case. Today rained pretty hard, so I checked inside the cab and voila! No wet spots anywhere.

Welcome to the club (and it's a very big club)...I've been lucky that I've only experienced this in 1/3 rams that I've had, but have seen this story countless times here over the years unfortunately. If you're curious, do a little searching and you will see this might be the most common problem experienced by ram owners, and I've heard ford and chevy have also had this issue for years. You'd think they would be able to find a solution after all these years (like us owners end up doing ourselves), but I hear the new 5th gens are still having problems leaking from the third brake light, as well as a few other areas.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

I had the same issue. I sealed the 3rd brake light and still had a leak...it ended up being the shark fin antenna! Sealed that with silicone and so far so good!!

Welcome!

Octane

Reaction score
Welcome to the club (and it's a very big club)...I've been lucky that I've only experienced this in 1/3 rams that I've had, but have seen this story countless times here over the years unfortunately. If you're curious, do a little searching and you will see this might be the most common problem experienced by ram owners, and I've heard ford and chevy have also had this issue for years. You'd think they would be able to find a solution after all these years (like us owners end up doing ourselves), but I hear the new 5th gens are still having problems leaking from the third brake light, as well as a few other areas.
My mazda b3000 third brakelight leaked also

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazon sells a gasket for this. I bought it. Nice and thick. Sticky on both sides. I applied it right over the existing thin gasket when I installed my Recon LED third brake light. Now it’s so thick the screws barely catch. Pretty sure if I submerged the truck it wouldn’t leak. At least not at the third brake light anyway. Lol. Think the gasket was $14. My only concern is if i ever have to remove it I probably won’t be able to reuse gasket. But with LED brake light I don’t think I will ever have to touch it. Fingers crossed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Amazon sells a gasket for this. I bought it. Nice and thick. Sticky on both sides. I applied it right over the existing thin gasket when I installed my Recon LED third brake light. Now it’s so thick the screws barely catch. Pretty sure if I submerged the truck it wouldn’t leak. At least not at the third brake light anyway. Lol. Think the gasket was $14. My only concern is if i ever have to remove it I probably won’t be able to reuse gasket. But with LED brake light I don’t think I will ever have to touch it. Fingers crossed.

Have you got a link to the gasket?

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Haven't seen it yet, but here in the Pacific Northwest, I'm sorely tempted to do a preventative re-seal of that light fixture come the next dry season, just in case.

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
I struggled with this on my new to me 2010 for the better part of year. The 3rd brake light was sealed and not the source. The sat antenna was sealed and not the source.

For me, the leak was coming in from the rear window gasket and leaking into two small holes in the sliding rear window. These two holes are on both sides of the rear slide window track on the top. I had to remove the headliner to see that they were even there. I ended up sealing the entire rear window across the top and it's no longer leaking.

Octane

Reaction score
I struggled with this on my new to me 2010 for the better part of year. The 3rd brake light was sealed and not the source. The sat antenna was sealed and not the source.

For me, the leak was coming in from the rear window gasket and leaking into two small holes in the sliding rear window. These two holes are on both sides of the rear slide window track on the top. I had to remove the headliner to see that they were even there. I ended up sealing the entire rear window across the top and it's no longer leaking.
I did the same thing on a mazda B3000 truck

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
mine was the 3rd brake light as well... pretty common from what I have seen, you think RAM would have addressed it a little better in my opinion.

Oh heck no. Ram has already bought 9 Gazillion of those 3rd Brake Gaskets and no way are they going to order better ones until the old ones are used up.

By the time it could actually hurt retail sales, RAM will pawned off to yet another Conglomerate.

Or , so they probably Hope.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is the exact reason I did not want cab lights on my new 2500. My truck stays in a garage so I need to check this out.

jeepin00tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Just resealed mine as well. Water was soaking the headliner in both corners behind rear doors. Went to LOWES and got window weather seal. Compresses very well and you can physically see the seal against the cab. I would never suggest replacing with factory gasket or use silicon. Just my preference.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the third brake light issue as well on my 2011 1500 Sport. Ordered a replacement light from Amazon and the gasket that came with it is a lot thicker than the gasket from the factory. I kept the light I took off and ordered a new gasket from Amazon.
My 2011 1500 Sport had the same problem. Ordered a new brake light from Amazon and the gasket is twice as thick as the factory one. Fixed the problem. I kept the light I took off and ordered a gasket from Amazon to put on the original light. I ordered this thing months ago and keep getting updates that the delivery date has been pushed back. Got an update from Amazon on 2/21 that the order has shipped. We'll see I guess.