I'm # 100k with this issue yeeeeeah

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so this is my sister in laws 2013 hemi that has been snacking on it's own camshaft for who knows how long and after almost no time at all I've read the horror stories of dozens of owners having same issue. Dodge ram stelantis appear to be king douche bags for blatant ignorance and calculated disinterest in this issue. Shame shame View attachment 526647View attachment 526648View attachment 526649View attachment 526650
Just an observation: this failure was caused by the lifter rotated 90 degrees in its bore. This is not a common failure mode on a 5.7, in fact the first one I've heard of. Either the bracket which supports and aligns two lifters together broke, the pin that holds the lifter to the bracket broke, or the lifter flange that supports the bracket broke away.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96731 miles.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I worked in enough dealers that there is NO way I'd let them touch my vehicle for oil changes!
Never thought about it, but when I bought my 2011 Sport, it came with free oil changes, forget how many, for two years. I took advantage of it until late in the offer. My cam went away with 92,000 miles on it. The local dealer replaced the cam and lifters after I agreed to pay 10% of the cost. I've changed my own oil using PUP 5W-30 full synthetic, and haven't had any problems and now have 161,000 on the truck. Never thought about whether the oil the dealers use might be a contributing factor. Interesting thought.
I once owned a shop that specialized in European cars. One customer was an advertising executive with McDonald's. He and I were chatting one day about marketing. We got to the gimmick of "free", whether it be in fast food or automotive services. His wisdom to me? People will almost, 100% of the time get pulled in by the word "free" in most advertisement. My advice to anyone who owns a car in this world is this: Caveat Emptor!

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I agree with most MECHANICAL THINGS WEAR OUT. I wonder actually HOW many fail? I am also on other sites, Corvette, Challenger, B Body, A, Body. etc. Everyone say it is everyone else fault and it should be FREE!!! The only place I see complaints about it is HERE. Engines, trans. rear axles ETC. are all mechanical things! Parts messing together under small loads, heavy loads etc. THINGS were out!!! Out of all (the total count of 5.7 gen three Hemi's what is the percentage that failed?? anybody got an answer? I sure can not find it anywhere. Small block Chevy's had "defective" motor mounts since 1955 until the 2nd generation block was designed. I would also venture to say that the vast majority of us have modified our trucks in some way. That hemi engine can produce 1000 + hp and it is only 380 cu.in.'s. How many of us on this have never known ANYONE that owns any 5.7 owners that have had that problem. I hear about it here but no one I actually know! How many 5.7 Police cars that get the "_hit" kicked out of them. If you are worried about it put a cam and lifters (even aftermarket "stuff") now before it can send fillings through out the motor. How many people here decide to put a different oil in them ( SORRY THAT WILL SURE START SOMETHING). I do not expect to have a problem! If I do I will say OPPS!!! ( as that fixes everything) and drop a "bone yard" motor in my Ram. All I would want is an engineer ( if they have an answer) to figure out way the ___% t0 approx.___% of 5.7 owners have the problem. Has any of the 6.1, 6.2, or 6.4's??? if not WHY??? reading all the, my engine broke stories is like reading oil stories. What if less than 1% failed? we will never know, because we do not know that spec.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I would get the ford with the drill it out spark plugs, or maybe the one that has the headlamp switch that can set the vehicle on fire, or maybe the one with the alt. plug that burned then up. or the 4.6's that blew the head gaskets apart, and on and on!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with most MECHANICAL THINGS WEAR OUT. I wonder actually HOW many fail? I am also on other sites, Corvette, Challenger, B Body, A, Body. etc. Everyone say it is everyone else fault and it should be FREE!!! The only place I see complaints about it is HERE. Engines, trans. rear axles ETC. are all mechanical things! Parts messing together under small loads, heavy loads etc. THINGS were out!!! Out of all (the total count of 5.7 gen three Hemi's what is the percentage that failed?? anybody got an answer? I sure can not find it anywhere. Small block Chevy's had "defective" motor mounts since 1955 until the 2nd generation block was designed. I would also venture to say that the vast majority of us have modified our trucks in some way. That hemi engine can produce 1000 + hp and it is only 380 cu.in.'s. How many of us on this have never known ANYONE that owns any 5.7 owners that have had that problem. I hear about it here but no one I actually know! How many 5.7 Police cars that get the "_hit" kicked out of them. If you are worried about it put a cam and lifters (even aftermarket "stuff") now before it can send fillings through out the motor. How many people here decide to put a different oil in them ( SORRY THAT WILL SURE START SOMETHING). I do not expect to have a problem! If I do I will say OPPS!!! ( as that fixes everything) and drop a "bone yard" motor in my Ram. All I would want is an engineer ( if they have an answer) to figure out way the ___% t0 approx.___% of 5.7 owners have the problem. Has any of the 6.1, 6.2, or 6.4's??? if not WHY??? reading all the, my engine broke stories is like reading oil stories. What if less than 1% failed? we will never know, because we do not know that spec.
And don't forget all the rolling gasoline bombs we drove and didn't know better! All the Fords I owned where the floor of the trunk WAS the top of the gas tank! Whew!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
How many of us on this have never known ANYONE that owns any 5.7 owners that have had that problem. I hear about it here but no one I actually know! How many 5.7 Police cars that get the "_hit" kicked out of them.

There's some class action going on to make a hand full of lawyers richer. It'll likely be settled with an NDA in place, but if not maybe some failure rate data will make it into public domain.

Fleet management data is likely out there behind a pay wall somewhere, but I don't know of any numbers in the public domain.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I would get the ford with the drill it out spark plugs, or maybe the one that has the headlamp switch that can set the vehicle on fire, or maybe the one with the alt. plug that burned then up. or the 4.6's that blew the head gaskets apart, and on and on!

I had a '95 Lincoln Town Car with nearly 300k miles when I sold it. Air suspension never failed and the intake manifold never cracked.

RamRider60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2013 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. Lifter and Cylinder 8 went to a better place. Cam shaft looked like metal shaving jimmies all over it. I had the lifetime warranty. Truck had 122,000 miles on it when it happened. Engine was replaced under the Maxicare Lifetime Warranty. Truck was babied and serviced religiously since I bought it new. Have a new engine in it now but it went from running fine to grossly underpowered during one 110 mile highway ride. Check Engine Light Flashing continuous while I limped on home. Took it to the dealer....new engine required. Took about 5 weeks to get the claim processed but it eventually happened and I'm back driving the truck again.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Of all the problems possible in modern engines, the one that should be expected are issues with lifters on roller camshafts.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96748 miles.

flinkpoyd01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is exactly why I didn't get the 5.7 in my '22 and instead went with the 3.6. I went with better long term reliability over more power. I don't tow so it wasn't a difficult decision.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a matter of IF the Hemi will eat itself, it's a matter of how long will it take. It's a flawed engine.
At 101k miles I had to do lifters and cams on my Durango with the 3.6. It's common on the Pentastar v6 as well as the hemi.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
At 101k miles I had to do lifters and cams on my Durango with the 3.6. It's common on the Pentastar v6 as well as the hemi.
I had to do it on my 2015 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 at 121,000 miles. Totally ate one cam but I still like the vehicle

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Frequent oil changes will solve the cam eating issue. My 134,000 miles 2011 had a recent oil analysis done at Brookstone Labs. Super report ... engine in excellent shape. Oil changed every 4K miles ...
Nope. 2013 5.7. Just crossed 150k. I use full synthetic and change every 5k. I’ve had both the exhaust bolt issue and the “hemi-tick”. Just in the last month started getting misfire codes thrown, and found #6 cam lobe is not as high performance as the rest. :) Truck is now awaiting a new engine (not that much more than a top end rebuild and it comes with 3yr/100k warrantee.

I’m ok with the spend, just wish that RAM would at least acknowledge the problem and take care of the newer/lower mileage vehicles.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so your upset that a 10 year old truck is having engine issues?
In the "old days", you could start expecting a valve job anytime after 60,000 miles. That, in turn, would put extra strain on the piston rings. If the car made it to 100,000, a complete rebuild was in order.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the "old days", you could start expecting a valve job anytime after 60,000 miles. That, in turn, would put extra strain on the piston rings. If the car made it to 100,000, a complete rebuild was in order.
My Dad's overly cantankerous '38 Oldsmobile had it's second valve job at 60,000.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96771 miles.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is exactly why I didn't get the 5.7 in my '22 and instead went with the 3.6. I went with better long term reliability over more power. I don't tow so it wasn't a difficult decision.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a matter of IF the Hemi will eat itself, it's a matter of how long will it take. It's a flawed engine.
I have had 3 of these, never had a cam or lifter issue.
I don’t put huge miles on them
I have always used full synthetic oil in them
This don’t include the 57 and 58 hemi’s

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had 3 of these, never had a cam or lifter issue.
I don’t put huge miles on them
I have always used full synthetic oil in them
This don’t include the 57 and 58 hemi’s
The question that should be asked is what is the practical life of roller lifters and camshafts?

Apparently people forget. In the days of flat tappet camshafts it was not unheard of to see a complete lifter replacement at 70-100K miles, or a camshaft at 100+K. Of course motor oils have come a long way since the '50s and '60s, and that can't be discounted. Roller lifters reduce internal friction, and reduce wear in engines with increased valve spring pressures. The trade off is an increase in a more complicated component that has increased lubrication needs and can be more susceptible to pin or roller failures.

Engineers have reacted to a market that demands more performance AND reduced fuel consumption. By selecting a roller lifter design they've done as good a job as any, except maybe for increased failure rate.

I think at least one Toyota engine still uses flat tappet lifters and camshafts.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96771 miles.

dordoc2506

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is one fix that would only cost them about $5 per vehicle, stop using the standard oil pump and only use the oil pump from the 6.2 hellcat engine, has a higher flow and provides the oil pressure needed to keep the cams and lifters from wearing out...

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It’s a 22, how do you know you went for better reliability?? I mean you say RAM lies about the 5.7 but then turn around and believe them when they say the 3.6 lasts for ever!!!! Also I’d like to know how many of these “100k” engines followed service recommendations. No one is posting “the rest of the story”! I know there are stories like “I have 250,000 on this or 325,000 on that and no problems but personally I feel even today over 100,000 miles anything can and does happen with all makes and models’, and I doubt if the 5.7 is under warranty that they refuse to repair it.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Buddy of mine got the tick recently at about 140k miles with his 5.7

This just blows my mind. I still don't understand how this is a thing.