Initial Startup issue with my 2014 Sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had my Ram for about 3 months (3,800 miles) and I’ve noticed in the last month or so that the initial startup of the day seems weird to me. It will turn over about 2-3 times, then hesitate for a second like it’s not going to do anything, then start up fine. It reminds me of an engine that has a lot of compression built up to the point of where it almost doesn’t have enough to turn the engine over, but then does. It only will do it on the 1st start of the day in the morning. When my truck sits at work all day (8-9 hrs) it starts normally with no hesitation. I did take it to the dealership and let it sit overnight there. According to them, they weren’t able to duplicate it (big surprise). They went ahead and did a powertrain update, transmission update, and A/C update (no idea why they needed to do an A/C update for this issue)….none of this fixed the issue. I have the push button start if that matters at all. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and/or there was a fix for it. I just don’t want to get stranded somewhere with it if it won’t start. Thanks!

Last edited:

RedAlert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have the push button start, but I noticed the same exact thing. I have the fob-like key, you still have to insert it into the switch, but it's just electronic. You just nudge the key and it initiates the start cycle. Like yours, it only happens in the morning, or after it's been sitting for 14+ hours. It cranks fine, but right before it actually fires it's seems to almost not go, then it fires up and runs fine.

I thought the same way you did, like an old big block with a lot of compression. My Monte SS does the same thing, but it's because the timing is jumped pretty high up.

I checked it out on a used 13 ram we have on the lot at work, and it does the exact same thing as my truck, so I regarded it as normal.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have the push button start, but I noticed the same exact thing. I have the fob-like key, you still have to insert it into the switch, but it's just electronic. You just nudge the key and it initiates the start cycle. Like yours, it only happens in the morning, or after it's been sitting for 14+ hours. It cranks fine, but right before it actually fires it's seems to almost not go, then it fires up and runs fine.

I thought the same way you did, like an old big block with a lot of compression. My Monte SS does the same thing, but it's because the timing is jumped pretty high up.

I checked it out on a used 13 ram we have on the lot at work, and it does the exact same thing as my truck, so I regarded it as normal.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Maybe it is "normal" then for our Rams and I noticed it recently.....I'm kind of OCD like that...lol.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '13 does it too. Didn't think much of it as it seems almost every Chrysler vehicle I have ever owned has done something similar. Had several over the last 30 years.

Mhackett9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
I am having the same thing occur on my 2014 RAM 1500 V8 Hemi. First thing in the morning the engine hesitates to start after sitting over night. But when I go into work for 10 hours and come out and start my engine no hesitation.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't noticed this issue, but I always turn the fob on and wait a second for everything to power up before I initiate the start sequence.

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't noticed this issue, but I always turn the fob on and wait a second for everything to power up before I initiate the start sequence.

I do the same thing with my Hemi Ram 1500. My is a habit from owning a diesel for 10 years and having to wait for the "Wait to Start" light to turn off.

I haven't noticed any hesitation when starting my '14 after sitting over night.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the push button start, never had this issue (fingers crossed) it starts up the same everytime, hot or cold. It starts instantly, no hesitation what so ever. I do get the "tick tick tick" for the first second on startup when cold.

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know about hesitation to start but the little dingy sound when u first start it has sounded distorted almost like the battery was going dead, it's done this a few times.