2014 Ram 2500 cummins loose fuse issue with twist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CStrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
My 2014 2500 cummins had the opposite effect of seating the fuses. I had some turbo check engine light problems and while checking the recommended fuse. Noticed that most of my fuses were not seated/loose. So I seated about 10 of them in the area of fuse I was looking at. Went to drive it after seating the fuses and the truck wouldnt start. All the sudden when going to start it, the screen tells me to push in my clutch peddle to start it. My truck is an Automatic transmission so thought that odd. pressed the brake peddle like ussual and had errors for airbags, brake sytem, radio wouldnt work and a few other errors. Went back and loosen the fuses I had just touched and everything back to normal. Anyone ever see this?

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
1) Your turbo check engine light problems are most likely a bad actuator. Been there, done that, fix it before it causes more issues. Get ready to spend $1500-$4000 and a day or so if you do the work yourself.
2) Yes, the loose fuses can be fun. I’d bet that one of fuses/relays has worn into place after 9 years of running and wasn’t happy with being moved.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Disconnect the batteries and let it sit for a bit then connect them back and see what you get. While it is disconnected I would also pull any fuses for the BCM, transmission, and ECM and re-seat them. You may have inadvertently caused a bad connection on one of the ones you pushed on.

Get the truck running then you can get back to the Turbo. Most likely a bad actuator, city diesel has a great replacement for ~$1k

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CStrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Looking into the turbo problems had the loss connection to the turbo actuator and a bad data from the nox sensor. From what Ive seen so far if you get those 2 together. It maybe a Can bus network wiring problem. That's what I'm hoping for instead of the 1000 to 4000$. Truck only has 38000 miles on it and been garaged the whole time. Going to check the voltages to the actuator to get a better idea of direction. Thanks for the feedback on the fuses. I'm thinking of getting a new fuse box for the truck at 400$. The only problems I've had with the truck is a few weird possible electrical problems that went away with the next start of the truck. Is 400$ a decent price for the fuse box new? That's the best I could find.

OP
OP
C

CStrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I'll first check the bcm and ecm fuses like you said. Thanks for the feedback!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looking into the turbo problems had the loss connection to the turbo actuator and a bad data from the nox sensor. From what Ive seen so far if you get those 2 together. It maybe a Can bus network wiring problem. That's what I'm hoping for instead of the 1000 to 4000$. Truck only has 38000 miles on it and been garaged the whole time. Going to check the voltages to the actuator to get a better idea of direction. Thanks for the feedback on the fuses. I'm thinking of getting a new fuse box for the truck at 400$. The only problems I've had with the truck is a few weird possible electrical problems that went away with the next start of the truck. Is 400$ a decent price for the fuse box new? That's the best I could find.

What were the exact codes you had? Highly unlikely it's going to be a canbus issue, you probably have a actuator issue and a Nox sensor issue (2 unrelated issues at the same time).

I see no reason to replace the fuse box unless this truck was a flood truck or something? Also sounds like the trucks sits a lot given those miles, any chance you have rodents eating wiring?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Or potentially some corrosion issues. Especially if the fuses were loose and have arc'd over time.

OP
OP
C

CStrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
What were the exact codes you had? Highly unlikely it's going to be a canbus issue, you probably have a actuator issue and a Nox sensor issue (2 unrelated issues at the same time).

I see no reason to replace the fuse box unless this truck was a flood truck or something? Also sounds like the trucks sits a lot given those miles, any chance you have rodents eating wiring?

P00AF - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Module Performance
U010C - Lost Communication With Turbocharger/Supercharger Control Module A
P003A - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position Exceeded Learning Limit

Pending
-----------------------------
U059F - Invalid Data Received From NOX Sensor B

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
P003A - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position Exceeded Learning Limit

Pending
-----------------------------
U059F - Invalid Data Received From NOX Sensor B

You have a failing actuator... Those are Classic signs.

Also sounds like you have a failing Nox sensor but I'd reset it and monitor that one, if it continues, I'd start by replacing the sensor.

OP
OP
C

CStrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I bought the truck new, have never seen a mouse or signs of a mouse.

OP
OP
C

CStrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
You have a failing actuator... Those are Classic signs.

Also sounds like you have a failing Nox sensor but I'd reset it and monitor that one, if it continues, I'd start by replacing the sensor.

I did the driving test monitoring the Turbo output and reached 25-28 not pulling. Also the engine brake was functioning as expected also. Is that normal if it was failing? I read that with a failing actuator the connection lost U010C comes in when the actuator gets real hot. Also read if you get U010C with the nox it has possibility of being can bus as they are on the same leg of the network. Not sure though with the other actuator errors that came in.
I'm notoriously frugal. Is there any other tests I could run, before committing to the 1000$ replacement? I'm a controls Engineer with 30 years industrial experience. just not much experience in Automotive.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
yes. Remove the passenger wheel liner and try to actuate the arm by hand. It should have "some" resistance, but shouldn't be a struggle to manually move the actuator rod. That's the only test I am aware of.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
These were the codes I had.

Every time you shut off the engine, when you restart the actuator and turbo will function properly…. as time goes on you will get the DING of the check engine light sooner and sooner. When it decides to act up it will die and stay in whatever position it was in. You could have boost, you could have nothing, your exhast brake could be stuck on.

Your wallet is about to get lighter.