Installed my backup cam, but doesn't seem right with operation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got the cam hooked up and working on my kenwood ddx418 tonight. Cam works good, only weird problem is I have to hold the function button for a second or so to view the camera when i shift into reverse. Works good when on this screen and every time i shift into reverse it kicks on. But when on the main screen the cam doesn't kick on when shifting into reverse, have to hold the function button down for a few seconds to get to the cam screen. Does this sound like I need to wire it differently, or is this just the way aftermarket units operate with the reverse cams? I would think the cam would over ride any screen on the display upon shifting into reverse, and I shouldn't have to push the button for a few to do so?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmmm I wish I could help ya! I would think it'd automatically switch over too... bump for someone who may know!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Im not sure on this one either, one of the elec guys will chime in soon.

shimmy2169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you have the reverse lead hooked up? I know on Kenwoods when you fire them up for the first time it will ask if you have a backup camera, did you select the option for camera?

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the reverse lead hooked up right to the back of the unit, and the cam spliced into the reverse tail light. Think i got it figured out now, how the kenwoods operate anyway. Every time i start the truck the camera screen automatically pops up and when i shift into reverse the camera kicks in, of course i can turn this feature off also. When i tried it for the first time, i just thought the rear camera would interrupt the screen at any time upon shifting into reverse. Kenwoods must just operate differently than the oem units i have seen, and the backup camera screen only pops up automatically at startup. To access it while driving i just have to hold the function button for a second or so, then shift into reverse to see the cam. Not a big deal, i have gotten used to the operation of it now

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ramfanatic

Banned
Reaction score
no you should not have to hold the button i have a kenwood and did you go into audio settings and set it to interupt and the input i think should be set to back up camera and the purple wire on the back of the unit needs connected to the reverse wire if you need more help let me know but mine comes on when i shift into reverse automatically also it should not pop on when you first turn on the unit