Installed new Westin nerf bars - PAINTED BOLTS!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyFirstRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally received my Westin Protrax 5” nerf bars after a two week delay in shipment. Westin is out of stock for many of their products.

I had a heck of a time installing these. Directions were clear and easy to follow, but the paint overspray was a real problem.

We had to back off the hex nuts several times for each bolt to deal with the paint. One time we just pushed through and snapped the bolt right off the truck. Shoot!!

What really helped me was spraying the bolts with WD40 and letting it sit for ten minutes. I then sprayed them again when installing the brackets. Made it much easier.

I would have preferred Ram to tape these before the paint spray booth and charged me an extra $300 for their effort rather than to deal with what I did on those painted bolts.

The nerf bars look sweet - I’ll post a picture when the rain and winds die down.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
had to take a die to mine and run it about halfway down each one to clean threads. put the full length oem nerf bars on. saved some money over what the dealer wanted.