Interesting test between an EV F-150 and a 6.2 gas powered GM towing a trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7milesup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how many electric semi-tractors do you see on the road ... zero because there aren't any
Yet. Electric semi's are coming, especially for routes between cities such as Chicago and Minneapolis. The battery packs are to be taken out and swapped for a charged pack making turn-around times very short.

tax drivers of electric vehicles so that they are contributing their fair share to the maintenance of roads.
EV's are already taxed in a lot of states to make up for a loss of gas tax revenue. Wisconsin is one of them.

Then you have the long term issues of disposal of batteries with no solution for that.
Wrong. https://insideevs.com/news/586335/hydrovolt-europe-largest-ev-battery-recycling-plant/

bread boxed sized nuclear generator.
Just what everyone needs... Nuclear reactors at accident scenes and laying around in junk yards. Fuel cell technology is a better alternative but the infrastructure is not there, so according to most on this board, it won't work and we should go back to burning dinosaurs.

David Oakes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I-6 HO
how many electric semi-tractors do you see on the road ... zero because there aren't any ...

Check these out. Real, in production.

As I understand it, they were running prototypes into the LA Sea Container port facilities for three or four years before going into production.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
EV's are already taxed in a lot of states to make up for a loss of gas tax revenue. Wisconsin is one of them.

Wrong. https://insideevs.com/news/586335/hydrovolt-europe-largest-ev-battery-recycling-plant/
Pretty sure I posted a few days ago that I used to work at what at the time was the largest battery recycler in the U.S. for 10 years (1995-2005). There were serious environmental issues, including spontaneous fires in storage areas and the emanating small was horrific. The local area had to be evacuated and the fires would usually fire right back up hours later and last for days. Definitely has it's drawbacks.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
We have a Mach E 4 (dual motor 4 wheel drive) that my wife uses to go back and forth to work, 110 miles round trip every day. In the days when no heat is needed she uses about 30kw for the trip. Once winter is here she uses 35-40kw for the trip. Total usable battery is 68KW. We spend about $90-$110 a month to change the car at home. I put a 240v/50a circuit in my garage to connect the charger to and she charges her car at 40amps and can take anywhere from 4-6 hours to charge it back up. You will never charge a full EV on 110v, would take 24+ hours to do so. She had a Honda HRV that was getting 33 miles to a gal. With these gas prices thats $310+ a month for the Honda just to go to work. She was up for a new SUV anyway and the purchase price of the full EV was about 10K more but we got a 7500 tax so we ended up paying 2500 more the ICE equivalent. She bought it in Oct of 21 and by this Oct she will have recouped the 2500 difference and every month after that will be saving us the fuel cost. When we bought it in Oct and before the fuel cost went nuts we figured i would take 2 years to recover the cost difference, our current situation sped that up drastically.

If you charge @ 120 or 240 it does not matter for budget cost, it's all the same because the battery is a tank and you can only fill it up with a set amount. The only difference is how fast you fill it. In real life, it will actually cost you more using 120 over 240 due to losses in charging and heat so even the cars mentioned that charge with 120 would cost less if you charge at 240 over the life of the car.

So full EV do have their place, just not pulling trailers or heavy loads.

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I almost got a Ford Lightening, but they couldn't deliver in time for me to get it in the 2021 tax year. And then, as it turns out, my reservation didn't even make the '22 production run so there's that.

I pulled a fully loaded U-Haul storage trailer, about 3,000-3,500 lbs, from Southern California to Denver. That drive is uphill the entire way and got 16.7 mph going 75 mph most of the way. Thats about 530 miles per tank more or less, and my EcoDiesel never hesitated AT ALL.

I 'dodged' that bullet! LOL

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
JKLines, I like your post. It hits on all the problems that I have with current electric vehicles. I definitely wonder about the future of expiring batteries, and the "free" home charging, but my biggest problem with EV's is that I live near Sacramento, Ca and when they get a vehicle that can make it to Los Angeles (about 400 miles) and still have some reserve power left then I may be interested. I can see the sticker shock people will see when all those batteries need to be replaced. That's like all the newer diesel trucks that have the Diesel Particulate Filter. I have heard they run around $1100.00 to replace. That's why when I had to buy a truck last year I found a low mileage 94 Dodge/12V Cummins/5-speed. No DPF, no DEF.

CaptStumpy

Reaction score
You can go from LA to Sacramento in a Rivian with a dual motor, max battery setup running on road tires. 420 miles of range on that setup.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You can go from LA to Sacramento in a Rivian with a dual motor, max battery setup running on road tires. 420 miles of range on that setup.
So tell me what use a pickup is if you have to run empty to have range. If that was loaded or pulling it might go 150 to 200 miles depending on the load and then need a charge. Might as well just use a car.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Ao tell me what use a pickup is if you have to run empty to hace range. If that was loaded or pulling it might go 150 to 200 miles depending on the load and then need a charge. Might as well just use a car.
Towing a 7000-8000lb TT they got 90 miles. There is a youtube video on it. The F150 EV truck was similar

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Towing a 7000-8000lb TT they got 90 miles. There is a youtube video on it. The F150 EV truck was similar
If you go back to the original post,i think the video you're referring to,is in the article.

skates15

Reaction score
We just sold our 2022 Hyundai Santa fe hybrid. It got nearly 40mpg in the summer but in Minnesota winter it got as low as 24-26 mpg and ran like a Ford pinto in the winter. It took a long time to heat up in the morning because it would run on battery and not the engine. We had it for one winter and that was enough. Panicked one morning during stop and go commute when the car smelled like there was an electrical fire. We turned off the heater, heated seats, USB charger and the smell eventually went away. Got the ram and super happy with it.

The battery pack in the Hyundai is liquid cooled with its own pump, coolant, etc.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I get tired of hearing about EVs having high torque and a bazillion HP. So what, that is of no value in towing because you can't use it like it is needed, and using that torque and hp drains the battery quicker than my kid and wife spend. Why aren't trucks getting something like 2 speed transmissions? One to get the mass moving (low gear requires less battery used) and the second is cruising. A pickup doesn't need to go zero to a hundred in 8 seconds (unless that is the intention, then don't expect it to tow worth a damn) so building to work will maybe help a bit.

Meanwhile, in other news, an electric truck can't tow.

Lastly, l enjoyed the part about campgrounds not allowing charging. I haven't seen that. I mean. Wpak down the rows of 45' diesel pushers with 3 ACs and all the other amenities of home running 24/7. Like a car charging is going to register. Perhaps this will be the excuse for campgrounds to start metering electricity, water, cable, sewage. You know, nickels and dimes.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Why aren't trucks getting something like 2 speed transmissions?

Largely because the added weight, parasitic loss, complexity, and cost would more than offset the extremely marginal gain. Particularly with the multi-engine setups. Even the Tesla Semi is a single speed.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Largely because the added weight, parasitic loss, complexity, and cost would more than offset the extremely marginal gain. Particularly with the multi-engine setups. Even the Tesla Semi is a single speed.
I know, but something has to happen. I mean, a whole engine is going into the Ramcharger, perhaps a transmission can be cheaper and work(?). But, since I won't own an electric truck ever, I really couldn't care less.