Interior swap problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I one a 3rd gen 2002 and I'm updating it to a 2005. I mean all the interior, to include steering wheel. I noticed that the wiring is different to include a new restraint computer, and so is the steering wheel wiring with the two air bag pins and the stereo controls. Anybody done this or is there a right up I missed somewhere?

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I've read up on some people who claim to have pulled of that sort of steering column swap, and others who claim its not possible. I've found a couple of posts on other forums that have a write-up. Idk if its against the rules to post a link to another forum on here tho lol

Off the top of my head the wiring was slightly different, The airbag system is different (Single stage system for 02-03 vs. dual stage for 04+), and there was something about different tooth/gear count? I'm gonna guess for the power steering system. I'm not 100% sure on that last part though

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My question is why? What's the point? If it's for the steering wheel you could've done that without swapping the column. The interior is the same 02-05. 06 was the change year.

OP
OP
John Wooten

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this is a late year 05, and it has the the new interior. honestly as nice as the interior is I would have swapped it all anyways. He is what I know... the entire column is different, but bolts right in. The airbag system drops right in and it works perfectly! Now the bad news, the steering wheel controls run to the instrument cluster and sends its controls on the BUS system. As far as I can tell it requires the security key block behind the cluster. I dont have this, and dont really wont it.