Is a 2003 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xetrov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I've read it seems the 2003 year model Ram is somewhat of a problem child. Should I avoid them like the plague? Is there anything I cannot do with this year? I have a friend who works for a dealership. I found an 04 that I was checking into, but she cannot transfer it from one state over to her lot to deal with me on. They just got in an 03 though that she can touch.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
a 03 is limited in performance mods due to the tunning not being all there...04-05 if you even have thoughts of wanting to custom tune/cam it.if not a 03 should be fine to do your basic mods, lift/lower,headers,intake,exhaust etc...you can put a small cam in that only requires superchips tuning.

OP
OP
X

Xetrov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So a tune isn't required for intake/exhaust mods? I'm planning on lifting it for sure as well as intake/exhaust. I'm definitely liking RubberFrog and RamHunters rides.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
nope you can run a intake exhaust etc all day without a tune...but if anything i would suggest a superchips tuner asap as it will make it night and day, and with lifting it the superchips can change the tire size in the trucks computer to allow the speedometer to adjust

OP
OP
X

Xetrov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm...well I don't plan on digging into the engine. But I can get this SuperChips tuner and it will take on the 03? I do still have my SCT from my Mustang...but I'm assuming this won't work.

THEBAD1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Sport SLT QC2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Other then no tuning for BIG cams....I have had no problems from my 03!

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hmm...well I don't plan on digging into the engine. But I can get this SuperChips tuner and it will take on the 03? I do still have my SCT from my Mustang...but I'm assuming this won't work.

yep superchips will work fine on your truck. the sct wont work, they make model specific tuners.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
just superchips is a nice gain

OP
OP
X

Xetrov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I'll shoot for the 04 unless she can really really sweeten the deal on the 03.

iJacob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 03 tuned and a bunch done to the engine it has the 5.7 hemi and I love it I haven't had a problem with it.

4X HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have never had any problems with my 03, I have the superchip tuner and it really opened it up. Took off the speed limiter and set it for 140 and it will do it, I've had it there already using GPS's to check speed since the speedometer only goes to 120, it was pointing way past that though.

Don't know what problem child your talking about but I have never had any issues with mine. I did replace an alternator about 1 month ago that was the only mechanical thing I've had to do to it.

iJacob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have never had any problems with my 03, I have the superchip tuner and it really opened it up. Took off the speed limiter and set it for 140 and it will do it, I've had it there already using GPS's to check speed since the speedometer only goes to 120, it was pointing way past that though.

Don't know what problem child your talking about but I have never had any issues with mine. I did replace an alternator about 1 month ago that was the only mechanical thing I've had to do to it.

Agreed. I have to say there is no issues with the 03 model.

Sent using taptalk on HTC EVO 3D

JP03

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003/1964
Engine
Cummins 5.9
only things i have with the ctd is cant do jake brake with the automatic trans which of coarse i have and not great at "rolling coal" but sounds like your talking about gas

schwally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the superchips tuner actually help improve gas mileage on the 03 5.7 hemi? I see on the superchips website that they mention a Fuel Saver Mode for 5.7 hemis only. Just wanted to know if anyone tried that. Thanks

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Does the superchips tuner actually help improve gas mileage on the 03 5.7 hemi? I see on the superchips website that they mention a Fuel Saver Mode for 5.7 hemis only. Just wanted to know if anyone tried that. Thanks

I believe it can, but the problem is keeping your foot off the pedal with the increased performance it also adds....LOL