Is Uconnect Nav worth the ridiculous cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hi Folks,

For Reference: I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 5.7L ZF8 8HP70 Quad Cab. I purchased it used 10/2017 with 12K miles.

I am inquiring about the NAV functionality and long term associated costs.

I, like I assume most RAM owners, received a $150 promotional discount email offer to upgrade to NAV capabilities. Although this could be more convenient than using my iPhone and maybe save me a future ticket for using my phone while driving, is it worth the ~$450 cost and update hassle?

Will there be additional costs for the NAV maps and is there a monthly subscription for the ongoing use?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Answering your question with as much detail as I possibly can... Is unconnect with the cost - even at a discount. Answer: NO

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They (Garmin) don't appear to sell the updates directly for my unit (2016 8.4)? It just re-directs you to the Chrysler uconnect site.

When you activate the Nav on the Ra3 it is unlocking the map that already exists on the radio from the factory. In my case a 2016 truck that probably has a 2014-2015 map on it so at a minimum I'm on a 4 year old map, probably older? Unfortunately there is no real way to tell since FCA does not release the version data nor tell you what the latest version is. They just say buy the "latest" version. You have no idea what you are getting or what year it was produced.

I know some areas of the country aren't building new roads but I know a lot that have changed a lot in the past 2 years. Dozens and dozens of new roads and neighborhoods every year so depending on where I am at my maps could be way out of date to the current roads.

My Radio is a RA4 8.4 with Nav built in they do the updates was on their site about a month ago. Maybe because you got the radio without the Nav built in ,that's why you have to go to Uconnect

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My Radio is a RA4 8.4 with Nav built in they do the updates was on their site about a month ago. Maybe because you got the radio without the Nav built in ,that's why you have to go to Uconnect

Show me a link you used because the only one I see is for older radios and the new ones (like the 2016) sends you back to Uconnect. At this point it has no idea whether I had the pre-loaded Nav or not.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Show me a link you used because the only one I see is for older radios and the new ones (like the 2016) sends you back to Uconnect. At this point it has no idea whether I had the pre-loaded Nav or not.

They might be referring to driveuconnect.com which is updates to the operating system, NOT maps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They might be referring to driveuconnect.com which is updates to the operating system, NOT maps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No, Madtrucker said he got map updates directly from Garmin (not uconnect or Chrysler) which I have never seen or heard of and see no link so was just curious.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
No, Madtrucker said he got map updates directly from Garmin (not uconnect or Chrysler) which I have never seen or heard of and see no link so was just curious.

Some of FCA's other vehicle brands (ie 13 Dodge Dart) had 8.4 nav radios that used map files by Garmin... and there was a way to extract the file from a Garmin Nuvi (w/lifetime subscription) and load it onto those specific radios.

The 13-17 ram, Cherokee, Viper RAx radios by Harmon use map files provided by Navteq.

I'm not sure who is providing the file for the 2018+ Panasonic 8.4 radios

M² Mods.

PHILKATY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just plug in my phone and can use google maps or waze. works so far.

Mikes578514

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not worth the cost for outdated infrequent updates!!!!Garmin sells units with free Lifetime Updates 3 or 4 times / year

Hi Folks,

For Reference: I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 5.7L ZF8 8HP70 Quad Cab. I purchased it used 10/2017 with 12K miles.

I am inquiring about the NAV functionality and long term associated costs.

I, like I assume most RAM owners, received a $150 promotional discount email offer to upgrade to NAV capabilities. Although this could be more convenient than using my iPhone and maybe save me a future ticket for using my phone while driving, is it worth the ~$450 cost and update hassle?

Will there be additional costs for the NAV maps and is there a monthly subscription for the ongoing use?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffrey Strichart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just paid the $445 and am happy that I did. It is worth it to me just for the pop up on the dash cluster. That is the best feature. I never even have to look at the map. It is not like $445 will make or break me and, not that I am selling my truck, but it will increase the value of the truck should you decide to sell it at some point.

Widoemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7l Turbo Diesel
I bought a Garmin DOT stand along wide screen as I do a lot of towing.. free lifetime updates to boot.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some of FCA's other vehicle brands (ie 13 Dodge Dart) had 8.4 nav radios that used map files by Garmin... and there was a way to extract the file from a Garmin Nuvi (w/lifetime subscription) and load it onto those specific radios.

The 13-17 ram, Cherokee, Viper RAx radios by Harmon use map files provided by Navteq.

I'm not sure who is providing the file for the 2018+ Panasonic 8.4 radios

M² Mods.

Navteq and some others morphed into HERE a few years ago. Garmin has been using HERE maps for a couple years now. They are not nearly as good as the old Garmin, lots of complaints. Google has their map data base. TomTom I believe still has a maps data base, also used by Apple. Perhaps also Microsoft as part of Bing. Those seem to be better.

East0352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I bought an RA4 8.4 and installed it. On my first three trips, it tried to drive me off of a bridge because it thought the rivers and creeks were roads. The map software is updated by garmin and is about three years out of date. They want $99-$120 to update the maps as roads update. I just went with a UAS radio after that and plug my phone in. I get to use my google maps which has a convenient home button, work button, and search mode which I use to find restaurants when I am traveling. It will even let me program multiple stops on my trip. I teamed that with gas buddy and saved $60 on a 600 mile trip by planning my fuel stops based on gas buddy’s listing of lowest prices.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I madtrucker never said I got the update from them. I said I seen it on the garmin site .I was updating my nav on a portable garmin unit and they had a section for map updates on dodge Ram trucks you put the year in and pay and their you go But I madtrucker again never downloaded it because I feel I don't need it at this point.:banana-mario:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW if you buy an old RA3/RA4 unit, the maps will be as current as the head unit was, unless the previous owner updated them (probably a long shot).

Of course the maps from a 2015 unit will be out of date in 2019, cant fault the unit that it was never updated.

I got lucky and found an RA4 out of a late MY2017 vehicle, the maps are quite up to date when comparing to changes made in my area in the last year or 2. But again if I bought one from a 2015, I wouldn't have expected it to have those changes without paying for the updated map.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
PS: if you go into dealer mode on the 13-17 8.4 radios you can see the map database file version... (Might also be available under the regular radio settings menu)

Dealer mode... Press/hold: (Temp Up)+(Temp Down)+(Front Defrost) for 6-10 secs and go into the radio info menu.

* The file used to have year/quarter info in it but they switched the file names over to version numbers a year or two ago... v13 , etc. Not sure what the latest Map database version is but @Ricks Ram may know since he has done the update on his 16 radio a few times.

M² Mods.
7985e446bde0e5e66fd97072677ac496.jpg

Last edited:

shackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bought my Ram new in 2014 it has he 8.4AN RA4 so Uconnect sends out a flyer saying 2018 map updates special $100.00 that was about July and the special ended in Sept. 1 So I called them about Aug.15 to order. They said they were all out and was getting more in at the end of Sept. So I wait and call them then and then they say that they are not going to get any more and the 2020 map update will be out by Nov. So I don't know , maybe more bulls**T . However I do like the system for Navigation super easy to use I don't like using my phone I like to keep my eyes on the road .

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
PS: if you go into dealer mode on the 13-17 8.4 radios you can see the map database file version... (Might also be available under the regular radio settings menu)

M² Mods.
7985e446bde0e5e66fd97072677ac496.jpg

Yes, that info is available under the regular settings as well. Would be curious if @Ricks Ram does know what the latest is or a version history?

My 2016 is CMCN4VP3NA;V4 What year is that one^

SgtJason101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I normally use Google maps and sometimes still do, but having nav built into the vehicle is especially convenient when you just want to get home. Press "Home" as your to destination and follow the directions.

They might not be the fastest, shortest or most convenient, but they WILL get you home and sometimes thats all that matters (think: wife driving and gets lost....press home and just drive)

Couldn't agree more. Just make sure you put in an address down the street. God forbid your truck gets stolen and whomever is in the drivers seat could easily find their way to your home.