Jack up engine or pull heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2007 5.7 I have the infamous exhaust manifold leak tick... passenger side top left bolt was broken, so I took the plastic wheel well off and removed all the bolts, but I broke the bottom left bolt. I was able to drill the top left out but I cant get to the bottom left bolt. The previous owner changed the bolts once already I think because i cant weld a nut to the bolt without the bolt breaking further. It's almost as though the bolts were never hardened... long story short I'm trying to decide whether it will be easier to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine so I can get to the broken bolt at the right angle, or should I remove the head and work on it on the bench... I know I can extract the bolt by removing the head and it would probably be more beneficial in some ways but is it worth the extra effort or is it just as hard to jack the engine up? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
If you're competent, removing the head will make removing the bolt easier to work with. But all depends on you! Try jacking it up first, gotta start somewhere! ;)

OP
OP
jmd4100

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're competent, removing the head will make removing the bolt easier to work with. But all depends on you! Try jacking it up first, gotta start somewhere! ;)
Alright! Thanks for the reply... I'll give it a try... cant hurt I guess:)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk