Jumped timing, harmonic balancer issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Workinonjunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok so im starting this thread because im 90% sure my truck jumped timing and well I already pulled everything off the front of the motor except the timing cover. My first reason for posting, as im sure i will have more problems and questions before im done with this job. Well the worst thing was getting that damn harmonic balancer off unbelievable. I got a Chrysler puller from oriellys and the arms were not long enough to reach the spot where they supposed to attach so i brought it back, and got a regular 3 arm puller the 5 ton, and it wouldnt go on the grooves and also no matter what wouldnt go and stay hooked on the inside of the pulley because it has a ridge on it and kept slipping off, so i found a 2arm puller that is huge and would fit around the outside of the pulley and eventually was able to get it off. Unfortunately being on the outside of the pully it knocked some small chunks in a couple places around the outside that guides the belt. Its a brand new balancer so id like to not need to replace it but im wondering if that can cause problems like the belt falling off or what. Where i circled on the stock photo since i dont have my balancer near me right now, is about where some chunks off the side broke off flush with the belt grooves. I just dont wanna put it back together and on and then have to take it off coz it eats the belt or some ****..

Attachments

• C355B2D7-CB11-471F-B1CB-7DD291A883EE.jpeg
    C355B2D7-CB11-471F-B1CB-7DD291A883EE.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok so im starting this thread because im 90% sure my truck jumped timing and well I already pulled everything off the front of the motor except the timing cover. My first reason for posting, as im sure i will have more problems and questions before im done with this job. Well the worst thing was getting that damn harmonic balancer off unbelievable. I got a Chrysler puller from oriellys and the arms were not long enough to reach the spot where they supposed to attach so i brought it back, and got a regular 3 arm puller the 5 ton, and it wouldnt go on the grooves and also no matter what wouldnt go and stay hooked on the inside of the pulley because it has a ridge on it and kept slipping off, so i found a 2arm puller that is huge and would fit around the outside of the pulley and eventually was able to get it off. Unfortunately being on the outside of the pully it knocked some small chunks in a couple places around the outside that guides the belt. Its a brand new balancer so id like to not need to replace it but im wondering if that can cause problems like the belt falling off or what. Where i circled on the stock photo since i dont have my balancer near me right now, is about where some chunks off the side broke off flush with the belt grooves. I just dont wanna put it back together and on and then have to take it off coz it eats the belt or some ****..
If only small piece are broken off I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the balancer is installed correctly and the belt runs true and straight you will not have any issues with the belt coming off.

OP
OP
W

Workinonjunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
These are the pics of the damage that was done

Attachments

• 689DCCE7-4818-4872-8AEF-FA43D048E174.jpeg
    689DCCE7-4818-4872-8AEF-FA43D048E174.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
W

Workinonjunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And the other side

Attachments

• 53D5BF72-304C-4479-9F86-2C46E1946A85.jpeg
    53D5BF72-304C-4479-9F86-2C46E1946A85.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
W

Workinonjunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So i got into my timing now and had to take the oil pan loose to get the oil pickup boot out, pan needs to be replaced anyways, if i can somehow get the thing out no luck so far.. anyways the timing is at tdc on compression stroke and it doesnt look like it jumped time so not sure why its running the way it is, or sometimes not running, except that the plastic guide (not the tensioner but the plastuc on the other side) broke in half and was floating around in there and the other half slid partially off.. not sire if that could or is causing my 45second of cranking to start problem as well as sputtering backfiring and stalling and the Starter sometimes couldnt turn the motor.. if anyone knows if that seems like it would cause it lmk coz it will be a little before i find out coz im waiting on parts..

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first picture shows a pretty large section that is broken. If you aren't going to replace it, you should at least grind all the sharp edges off of all the damaged sections.

Prior to pulling the truck apart, did you get any codes?

OP
OP
W

Workinonjunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The first picture shows a pretty large section that is broken. If you aren't going to replace it, you should at least grind all the sharp edges off of all the damaged sections.

Prior to pulling the truck apart, did you get any codes?
I agree, im definitely going to file them smooth.. yes it had like 11 codes, the most important was P0016, and P0335 and P0339.. the crankshaft sensor was just replaced a few months ago and i put a new camshaft sensor in it when it all of the sudden after i parked next day it didnt wanna start. I cleared the codes and started it eventually and those all came back immediately.. so here i am.

OP
OP
W

Workinonjunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is what i found when takin the cover off

Attachments

• 9F79C1FC-3952-494C-BD8A-FA89CB5ED723.jpeg
    9F79C1FC-3952-494C-BD8A-FA89CB5ED723.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 17

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P0016 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A
P0355 Ignition Coil E Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0359 Ignition Coil I Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Start basic:
Have you checked all fuses?
You may have a defective crankshaft position sensor - is it OEM or aftermarket?
Have you checked the TIPM?
You have 2 coil packs showing issues - have you tried to swap them around to see if the codes change?

OP
OP
W

Workinonjunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
P0016 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A
P0355 Ignition Coil E Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0359 Ignition Coil I Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Start basic:
Have you checked all fuses?
You may have a defective crankshaft position sensor - is it OEM or aftermarket?
Have you checked the TIPM?
You have 2 coil packs showing issues - have you tried to swap them around to see if the codes change?
2 of those codes you got wrong, as in the numbers arent what i typed.. i checked fuses, it was a 100$ sensor not a cheap 30$ one so i doubt its the issue.. can’t remember if its mopar though. Unsure how to check the TIPM. Got it all back together finally what a bi*** but it still is hard starting but runs fine once it starts.. i dont get it.