K&N 57-1533 CAI Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I purchased a 07 Dodge Ram !500 5.7L HEMI that the previous owner removed the stock hat, air box, and mounting bracket that was mounted on the inside of the right fender. My K&N 57-1533 kit will arrive tomorrow afternoon and my question is, has anyone installed this CAI kit with the stock air box mounting bracket removed? See the bracket in the photo.

Attachments

• removing-airbox-mounting-bracket.jpg
    removing-airbox-mounting-bracket.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 99

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Most CAI kits come with their own brackets. So a lot of people will remove the stock airbox mounts to make it easier to do work on the engine later. Most people do not want to keep removing and installing anything that is not being used for anything.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The two bottom brackets are designed to set down on the pins of the old air box bracket. The pins are visible on the mounting bracket as seen in the photo above. My kit came in this morning, and I have been putting some of it together in my living room to get ahead for installing in the morning. Waiting on the rain to leave. If needed I will come up with a fix.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I will have to pay a visit to my local dealership to see about getting the stock air filter box support bracket so I can install the K&N kit. I may try a near by salvage yard for a used one which should be cheaper.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Turns out the part was cheaper from my local Dodge dealership than the salvage yard. The support bracket and two grommets were also cheaper than on the internet once shipping is added. My parts should be here in the morning so I hope to have my new K&N CAI installed tomorrow afternoon.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I installed the K&N CAI kit this afternoon and I am happy with everything except the included hardware. The bolts are to soft, I had one bolt brake when it engaged the nylon in the nyloc nut. Other than breaking one bolt, all went well. It isn't as loud as I have heard others say and no whistle sound either. I took the truck out and did a little pedal stomping, this truck fly's now.

I do not know if my 07 5.7L HEMI has a rev limiter but in park the engine would no rev higher than 4 grand. On the highway I was going 60 MPH so I hit the accelerator and it rev'ed to 6 grand and I hit 85 MPH this was in just a few seconds.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I am also a member on the HEMI TRUCK CLUB Forum, and my question was answered. :waytogo: The PCM will not let the engine rev above 4 grand while in neutral or park. Nice to know it wasn't a problem and part of the trucks program.:pepper: