Keeping 16 express healthy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexander122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I looked through the threads and I could not find anything on this..
I’ve got a 2016 ram express 1500 with 80,000 miles bought used I’ve put 5000 miles on it so far all the records show is basic services to the truck. I am wondering what are things I need to do to keep truck 100% healthy besides oil change and spark plugs I was told a catch can and a crank case vent any other recommendations I don’t really care how silly it sounds. I’m 19 and have a three-year loan. I want to make it last as long as possible even though when it blows up I’m sure I’ll do something fun with it.

Also this has happened multiple times maybe three or four I was driving through a parking lot going 5 to 10 mph when the truck just randomly slammed in the park “dial shifter “ and the LED on the shifter started blinking any thoughts?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Welcome

Timing chain replacement but while you’re at it replace all the pulley tensioners the water pump and coolant thermostat

EDIT:
If you knew the history of your truck you could be certain the cam is original / not swapped or the lifters hadn’t been replaced …a timing chain does not need to have catastrophic failure (break) in order for it to fail.
It is normal procedure to replace the timing chain under these circumstances Just as it is to replace the transmission fluid and filter as a service. , if you have no written guarantee that it has been done this is recommended to service as a precaution.

I’d check for codes concerning the transmission and read up on the transmission fluid change…
there’s several threads in the forums

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey guys I looked through the threads and I could not find anything on this..
I’ve got a 2016 ram express 1500 with 80,000 miles bought used I’ve put 5000 miles on it so far all the records show is basic services to the truck. I am wondering what are things I need to do to keep truck 100% healthy besides oil change and spark plugs I was told a catch can and a crank case vent any other recommendations I don’t really care how silly it sounds. I’m 19 and have a three-year loan. I want to make it last as long as possible even though when it blows up I’m sure I’ll do something fun with it.

Also this has happened multiple times maybe three or four I was driving through a parking lot going 5 to 10 mph when the truck just randomly slammed in the park “dial shifter “ and the LED on the shifter started blinking any thoughts?

Does it have front/rear park-sense? Don't know much about that model. But that usually what does that.
If it does, you could turn it off in the settings.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Change transmission,transfer case ,and both differentials . Brake fluid. Antifreeze. Inspect your front brakes ,probably ok but you never know how it was driven previously.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All the above are excellent ideas to consider, and wouldn't fault anyone for undertaking one or more.

I am a bit of fix it when it starts to be come a problem, but also keep up with scheduled maintenance. If your truck had 175,000 miles I might say dive into things like the timing chain (that is when I do those) and belts, hoses, etc. Not knocking above at all, just I haven't read about problems with the things I just mentioned in this forum. Do a search to be sure, but I just don't remember reading about them.

My two cents is to replace coolant and empty full tank (because Ram uses a specific kind and you don't know if former owner topped off with wrong type), oil and filter, also empty windshield washer reservoir and refill with Ram-specific type. You are over the transmission oil replacement cycle so unless you can verify it was fine, get that changed. Replace air and cabin filters. Maybe a tire rotation and front end alignment. Check manual for other services and follow them.

Again, the above responses are certainly worth considering and the members know their stuff. Just a different perspective here. Just always hear my Dad saying "Is it broken? Then why are you fixing it?" :) Good luck on your Ram and enjoy the ride.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357