Laramie chrome bar onto a plastic bumper Express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For my 2021 1500 Classic Express.

Reason I ask is I like the idea of the Canadian Vice Design hidden winch setup (see link). I was in the process of ordering an aftermarket replacement bar and found the Vice setup.

I emailed them and it only works with steel bumper versions. The only steel bumper 2013-18 that we got here in Australia were Laramie. Finding a bar isn't an issue as plenty have been removed for aftermarket bars. Just wondering if the chrome bar will bolt on. I noticed the Express doesn't have flares but the Laramies do, so not sure if the plastic bar is two piece like the Laramie bar or not? SO I can then re-use the white bit under the grille or have to get everything off a Laramie?

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been reading through a few posts on the site but cannot find the exact answer for this.

Will a 2018 Laramie (4th gen) two piece (chrome bottom plastic top) front bar bolt straight to a 2018-2022 4th gen Express?

Is more required than the two pieces of bar?

I have noticed the Laramie has fender flares and it does extend past the plastic bit of the front bar under the headlight, not sure if that is going to be an issue on the Express that has no fender flares?

I can easily get a Laramie bar off one locally that has had a bullbar fitted, however I don't want to get it if I have to buy a heap more bits and pieces to make it fit.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
i think that i am correct in thinking that the 2021

2018 Ram 1500 Trademan comes with a black painted steel front & rear bumpers

1642119393311.png
switching from Tradesman to Bighorn bumper

1642119596026.png

1642120071735.png
The Ram on the left would be similar to what you would need
But where the license plate is, you would need to cut a hole for the winch.
1642121106571.png

1642121244368.png

Fender flares are just another option, you can order them or leave them off

Last edited:

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the brackets are different or the steel bumper have additional ones. On my old '14 Express I had some front bumper damage from the previous owner. I did some research into what I needed to fix it and I saw some brackets listed on an exploded diagram that I didn't have. I thought they were missing but after talking to a body shop I found out that they are only used for steel bumpers.

So if you change bumpers you may need additional brackets.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the replies. I'll have to try and find someone here that fits bullbars and see if they can tell me if all the brackets etc I need comes off when a bullbar is fitted, they would have seen both Laramie and Express plenty of times.

GTyankee, the kit you buy from Vice has a template to cut out the required hole in the bar and comes with a hinged front licence plate holder. I'd be happy with a painted bar and get it painted to suit the Express, however we only ever got Express and Laramie in Australia, so finding a Laramie one will be far easier.