Leaking front trans seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E roc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How hard is it to change the front transmission seal on a 02 4 wheel drive. Not sure what tranny I have and not sure how to get that info. When playing in the hills and when I got home, I noticed a puddle of trans fluid under it. I check to make sure it wasn't just the pan leaking, nope coming from in between engine and tranny. Any info would help

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If you have acess to a lift and a trans jack its not terrible just not that much fun either. You will need to pull the t-case along with the shafts and need some long extensions to get the top bolts unless you can crawl ontop of the motor and do them.

OP
OP
E

E roc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I figured it wasn't much fun, while I have it off I was going to replace the torque converter any suggestions on a good one. Truck does some pulling, boats and campers.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find out who makes one for your 46RE, then give them your combo (or future combo, if applicable) and they will recommend one for you.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Getting the old seal out is not that hard. The hard part is getting the transmission out if you plan on doing it yourself. Gonna need a lot of room under your truck to do the job without cussing out the world.
May I suggest taking it to a reputable repair shop and have them do the job for you. Will save you time, possibly money, and headaches. Most tranny shops will give you a quote for the job, but get your own new seal and ask for the old one back (I do that to make sure they changed the seal out.
As far as Torque converters go the above posters are correct. You can find some shops online that specialize in them and they can give better information than we can.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are 2 things that could be leaking and often do in the RH/RE transmissions. The rubber seal in the front of the transmission pump that seals the torque converter to the pump is one. Thats relatively easy to change once you get the trans out of course. The other is much less probable, but I have seen it on more than one occasion. the pump itself either cracks, or shifts and causes the metal seal behind it to leak.

Probably just the normal front seal, but if you see a cracked pump, or fluid that looks to be coming from between the pump and case, youre going to need a new pump. Not hard to change, just need a slide hammer and a ladyfoot crowbar