Transmission upgrades on 5.7 Hemi's w/ 65RFE trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Looking to see if there are any upgrades that can be performed on these transmissions?
I have a 14' with nearly 200k on the original tranny. I drive on average 35-42k per year, 25% of the time I'm towing a 7x14 enclosed trailer with weighing roughly 3500-4k lbs loaded up and down the state through some hills. I'm extremely **** when it comes to service intervals on my truck including the trans fluid drain and fill and that was recently performed at 184k.
Last year I changed the stock final drive gearing from a 3.22 to 4.10 and that certainly helped when towing.

I haven't noticed any issues as of yet but my previous transmission on my 12' Ram went out around 230k, after spending $3200 on a reman tranny it worked great. Just wanting to see if there are any "upgrades" or mods or anything I can do other than what is currently being done to extend the life of the trans?

Thanks.

IMG_7390.jpg[/URL]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
GM solenoid upgrade, and most importantly a plate installed properly, general items like pistons, and tune up psi, look at synthetic filter options but make sure sump filter is OEM only and metal filter thread upgrade. Run redline c+ ester based fluids will not degrade when towing and temps get hot. This is the not 10k call sun coast and have them build me an rfe option.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck's transmission has done very well for it's age/miles. I think the only upgrade I would do at this point is money: put some money aside every week/month for a rebuild, and wait till she fails. That could be 25k miles, or ...maybe 100k more miles, who knows?

Because by now ...and when it does die, it'll be all worn out and will need a complete rebuild anyway. Adding one or two parts now ..does it make a whole lot of sense? Or maybe better yet, keep your eye out for a low mile used tranny with 60k or so miles on it for a few hundred bucks (if you find one), and squirrel it away and have it ready when you need it. That would be way cheaper than a rebuild, and probably make more sense if the truck has 200k+ miles on it by then. My Jeep with the similar transmission and V8 has over 240k mi and the tranny works great.

You good maintenance is paying off!

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Both @Burla and @Jeepwalker have nailed down the very best advice you're likely to receive!

If you can find a good used transmission, send it out for full rebuild and upgraded with all the necessary goodies, and then use the best fluid and filter/pan possible, you'll be in top shape to take it another 200K on that transmission!

I had an 06' 300SRT8 back in the day and purchased a used NAG1 transmission for peanuts and had it completely rebuilt with AMG clutches and had a Paramount Performance Stage II valve body that I would switch from my original trans to my new donor/rebuilt one for when it died.

It was a great investment, and paid off for me.
Even though I never ended up using the prepped NAG1 in my SRT, I sold it to the guy who bought my car for an excellent price (made myself a few bucks, but not obscene) so that he had it in his hands should he ever need it down the road ;))

I was racing, off course...lol and when I launched I literally sheared the output shaft yoke clean off the transmission...it was a surgical shear...lol

I had maybe 1000Km's left on my factory 100K powertrain warranty at the time, so I called a buddy at a dealership and they warrantied the repair for me.

It was rebuilt completely under warranty, and I paid the difference between the OEM standard clutch pack to the upgraded AMG clutch pack and got back a monster transmission. They switched out my upgraded valve body, too.

Anyhoooooo....

I'd find a good used donor and get it ready for a transplant down the road for when you need it ;)