LED light bar - Ram Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are the Texas Statutes concerning Auxiliary Driving Lamps.

Sec. 547.330. AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED.
(a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps.
(b) An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.
(c) Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.

Here is 547.333
Sec. 547.333. MULTIPLE-BEAM LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIRED. (a) Unless provided otherwise, a headlamp, auxiliary driving lamp, auxiliary passing lamp, or combination of those lamps mounted on a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle:

(1) shall be arranged so that the operator can select at will between distributions of light projected at different elevations; and

(2) may be arranged so that the operator can select the distribution automatically.

(b) A lamp identified by Subsection (a) shall produce:

(1) an uppermost distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead during all conditions of loading; and

(2) a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam that:

(A) is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.

(c) A person who operates a vehicle on a roadway or shoulder shall select a distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a safe distance ahead of the vehicle, except that:

(1) an operator approaching an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet shall select:

(A) the lowermost distribution of light or composite beam, regardless of road contour or condition of loading; or

(B) a distribution aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the lamp projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator; and

(2) an operator approaching a vehicle from the rear within 300 feet may not select the uppermost distribution of light.

(d) A motor vehicle of a model year of 1948 or later, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, that has multiple-beam lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator that is:

(1) designed and located so that the lighted indicator is visible without glare to the vehicle operator; and

(2) lighted only when the uppermost distribution of light is in use.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
without comparing WI line by line, I'm pretty sure we have a similar statute. Frankly, it;s one of the reasons I haven't done a light bar yet. I don't have JB's lonely road situation, nor do I do any offroad that my high beams can't handle.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's so they can drive down the road at night blinding the frick out of anyone approaching them. Absolutely -NO- reason to run lightbars on the road but some people do it anyway. I really miss the days when law enforcement officers would enforce the laws regarding lights on the front of a vehicle...

Try living in Alaska where there are few vehicles and many moose. I use my lightbars all the time on the highway, responsibly.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
In Alaska the headlight laws say nothing about how bright they can be, rather how bright they have to be:

13 AAC 04.020. Headlights
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a motor vehicle must be equipped with at least two headlights, one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. The headlights must emit white light to the front of the vehicle, comply with the requirements and limitations set out in this section, and be mounted at a height of not more than 54 inches or less than 24 inches.

(b) Repealed 6/28/79.

(c) Repealed 6/28/79.

(d) Repealed 6/28/79.

(e) When a motor vehicle is driven on a highway during the times specified in sec. 10 of this chapter, the driver shall use a high distribution of light or composite beam, directed at a height and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of 450 feet in advance of the vehicle for all load conditions, subject to the following requirements and limitations:

(1) when the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, the driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam, so that the glaring or high-intensity portion of the light is not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver; the light must be of sufficient intensity to reveal a person or a vehicle at a distance of 150 feet in advance of the vehicle for all load conditions; and

(2) when the driver of a vehicle approaches another vehicle from the rear, within 300 feet, the approaching driver may not use the highest distribution of light.

(f) Headlight systems which provide a single distribution of light are permitted on all implements of husbandry, motor-driven cycles, bicycles and off-highway vehicles regardless of date of manufacture, if the systems are, as far as practicable, mounted and aimed as required in (a) of this section and are of sufficient intensity to reveal a person or a vehicle at a distance of 200 feet in advance of the vehicle, except as otherwise provided for motor-driven cycles or bicycles in sec. 320(a) and (d) of this chapter.

(g) A motor vehicle may be driven under the conditions specified in sec. 10 of this chapter when equipped with two illuminated lights upon the front of the vehicle capable of revealing persons and vehicles 100 feet ahead; provided, however, that a vehicle using the lights may not be driven at a speed in excess of that specified in 13 AAC 02.325(c) .

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Oh, believe me... You really don't want to know how I really feel... I'm a very opinionated SOB who is too old and way too cranky to give a turkey who cares about what I say... I left my give-a-**** behind a lonnnng time ago. I'll state my point of view as I did above in a more "social media correctly" manner so as to not immediately dump a tanker of gas on a fire, but if pressed, I'll **** in your Wheaties and walk away to go have another beer. A couple of my friends are hosting a pool to see how many times I can get put into Facebook timeout through the end of the year...

In response to what is legal lighting on the front of a vehicle... So what... Just because it is legal doesn't make it right... I'm not bashing lights on the front of a truck when used appropriately, (offroad, construction sites, Alaskan highways, etc) I use them myself. But there is no frickin' reason whatsoever to be running the gdamn things in downtown Tampa, FL, with the back of your blinged-out grocery-getter reverse-raked so your lights are ******* off pilots flying into Tampa International Airport and blinding oncoming drivers a mile away...

And just for the record, I have taken a Q-Beam Max spotlight and put it right into the face of jackasses following me down the interstate... A few of you on here are from the Tampa Bay area... Don't take this as a challenge...

Still want to know how I really feel??

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Oh, believe me... You really don't want to know how I really feel... I'm a very opinionated SOB who is too old and way too cranky to give a turkey who cares about what I say... I left my give-a-**** behind a lonnnng time ago. I'll state my point of view as I did above in a more "social media correctly" manner so as to not immediately dump a tanker of gas on a fire, but if pressed, I'll **** in your Wheaties and walk away to go have another beer. A couple of my friends are hosting a pool to see how many times I can get put into Facebook timeout through the end of the year...

In response to what is legal lighting on the front of a vehicle... So what... Just because it is legal doesn't make it right... I'm not bashing lights on the front of a truck when used appropriately, (offroad, construction sites, Alaskan highways, etc) I use them myself. But there is no frickin' reason whatsoever to be running the gdamn things in downtown Tampa, FL, with the back of your blinged-out grocery-getter reverse-raked so your lights are ******* off pilots flying into Tampa International Airport and blinding oncoming drivers a mile away...

And just for the record, I have taken a Q-Beam Max spotlight and put it right into the face of jackasses following me down the interstate... A few of you on here are from the Tampa Bay area... Don't take this as a challenge...

Still want to know how I really feel??

it was sarcasm... I think you've covered it all though. Thank you for playing, and have a nice day :)
:big_banana_Dance:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca