Leveling kit fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dcramz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey so I went to install a 2.5" leveling kit on my 16 express and it didn't happen. Everything came out no problem. Put the spacer on top of the strut put it back in and couldn't get the lower control arm bolts back in. We tried everything and I mean everything, I was with a buddy at the old mechanics shop he worked at so we had all the tools. It seemed like the strut needed to compress in order to get the lower control arm back up into place but it wouldn't compress. Anyone else have this issue? Or any advice?
Thanks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best advice I can give you is don't use the spacers at all. There are several posts of people having issues with the spacers especially at 2.5". When you run a spacer it changes your suspension geomitry by moving the spring assembly away from the mount. This will make your A arms move further down than they were intended and restrict there upward movement as well. This will cause premature wear and possible failure of ball joints and CV joints. The best way to level your truck is to use a leveling shock like the Bilstein 5100 series adjustable shock which will keep your suspension geomitry within its acceptable range and has five height settings up to 2.8". This has been discussed over and over on the forum. If you do some research you should be able to find some good information. There is no doubt the leveling shock is much preferred over a spacer.

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best advice I can give you is don't use the spacers at all. There are several posts of people having issues with the spacers especially at 2.5". When you run a spacer it changes your suspension geomitry by moving the spring assembly away from the mount. This will make your A arms move further down than they were intended and restrict there upward movement as well. This will cause premature wear and possible failure of ball joints and CV joints. The best way to level your truck is to use a leveling shock like the Bilstein 5100 series adjustable shock which will keep your suspension geomitry within its acceptable range and has five height settings up to 2.8". This has been discussed over and over on the forum. If you do some research you should be able to find some good information. There is no doubt the leveling shock is much preferred over a spacer.

Looking to level my 2wd . Was going to use coil spacers does that change everything like strut spacers .

OP
OP
D

Dcramz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I know bilsteins are the way to go but was on a budget. But I might end up with the bils just makes sense.

rdubs20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Go to jet.com and order the bils, or you can get autoanything to price match them at jet.com. I just picked up 2 front and 2 rears for 324 shipped. If you are on a budget you can get the front 2 to level for around 160.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Take it from me, increase your budget and save money and your suspension by doing it right. I put a Ready Lift spacer kit on my truck back in 2010, since then it's cost me both struts, upper and lower ball joints, tie rods and bad CV pitch.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Looking to level my 2wd . Was going to use coil spacers does that change everything like strut spacers .

Spacers are more acceptable on a 2wd because of the design. You won't run into the same problems that the 4wd trucks have. However I would still recommend lift coils rather than spacers for a better quality ride. You will also want longer shocks for either option.

Bils are only for 4x4.

Not entirely wrong. The Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts that level your truck (that we are discussing here) are only for 4wd trucks. Yes you can get regular Bilstein 5100 shocks for a 2wd but they won't do anything height wise on the truck as they're only a shock, not a strut assembly.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unbolt Upper BJ with jack under LCA, unbolt strut, lower down, install spacer, jack back up, bolt strut, bolt UCA (probably need a large pry bar to bring it back down), tighten Upper BJ

What exactly did you do? Trying to put the lower strut bolt in last usually isn't a good idea, put it in first, then jack it up into the upper mount. Make sure you put it in correctly so that the top studs line up, you will realize quick if you don't but just trying to save you some time.

Last edited:

jesstineo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This was a great topic. Again I'm sure it continues to come up over and over.. But I was a former 2014 Silverado owner with all the bells on it. And now I'm a Ram owner and starting over.. What a difference , when it comes down to a lift kit or a leveling kit..
But the Piont here is that bilstein 5100 shocks are the way to go with new springs.
But if you have a 2wd you should just save your money and do a 4.5 life with new springs .. Do it right the first time and get her done..

But if that's not your thing and just want to clear tires and level your truck do the 5100 or max setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
But the Piont here is that bilstein 5100 shocks are the way to go with new springs. But if you have a 2wd you should just save your money and do a 4.5 life with new springs .. Do it right the first time and get her done..

This is the problem.... what are you even saying? Just spouting out BS that you saw on forums and social media. The truck scene has really declined in the past decade.

Bilstein adjustable 5100s use OEM springs.

2wd 4" lifts use OEM springs.

OP
OP
D

Dcramz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't seem to find bills for a 2016 ram. Anyone know of a part number? Or the 2015 should be the same right?