Lift Pump Runs Continuously On Auxiliary

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad Debuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
24 valve
I have a 1998.5 2500 24 valve. Bought it over the winter and now that it's nice doing some work to it. I have noticed what I'm assuming is the lift pump buzzing continuously on Auxiliary. I cross referenced my issue and all I found was posts about the lift pump running even with the key off, I do not have that issue. One thing on my agenda is to check fuel pressure. However Im most likely going to replace the lift pump anyway. In the bed there is a 30 gallon tank that drains down into the stock fuel tank and I noticed when I bought it that if it had fuel in the bed tank it would leak a bit when you would open the valve to drain the reserve I to the main tank. I've been contemplating getting rid of the tank anyway because I don't ever need 50 gallons of fuel. I guess my question with that is if the system isn't air tight would the lift pump not prime correctly?

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
It is possible for priming, however your truck is already primed. The way those aux tank work is drain into the filler neck, sometimes they leak due to the way they were installed / angle / to much fuel at once into filler neck etc.

You say auxillary, do you mean with the key turned all the way back towards you like for listening to radio? or do you mean before you actually turn the truck on in the on/ run position?

I have an 01 24v wrecker, I can check my findings on this truck and report back today, just need clarity on your question