Looking at new Longhorn - air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mostly agree with the people who subscribe to the philosophy of more gadgets = more that will break and have normally bought my vehicles this way for 30 years. But that's because all my vehicles become family hand-me-downs for 5 more years after my 5 years of ownership so...

However for people who trade in every few years anyway then fill your boots and load 'er up with features IMO as long as you can afford it (without sacrificing other aspects of life) and don't care that vehicles rapidly depreciate as soon as you slap a license plate on them.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
However for people who trade in every few years anyway then fill your boots and load 'er up with features IMO as long as you can afford it (without sacrificing other aspects of life) and don't care that vehicles rapidly depreciate as soon as you slap a license plate on them.

As a new car dealer friend once told me, "All cars are used cars".

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Thanks everyone - dealer is killing me though, might not get the deal done...

bad timing, your negotiating at the beginning of the month.........you aren't going get the best deal you can until the end of the month, when they are closer to getting their sale quotta and they need to move the truck. Right now, your a "wait and see" customer. They wait to see if you take this deal or hold out.

Bear79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My experience with air ride is with a different manufacturer. 10+ years down the road is when the problem starts. The air bags will develop a small leak and cause the compressor to stay on more than designed. The vehicle will start to leak down over night. Then later the sir bag will not keep inflated and the compressor fail. When new and working correctly it is great. If you keep vehicles a long time then keep that in mind.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My opinion they are great untill you have a problem after warranty. Very expensive to fix. if you trade every couple years anyway, then get it.
Or consider the mopar lifetime maxcare.

OP
OP
rblochli

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks again everyone- picking it up Saturday!

Joneseysr6 -I hear you, I started this end of November, might have saved a couple more bucks if i waited until the end of December, but with the limited number of '16 Longhorns around I pulled the trigger.

Ramtech2319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have fixed only a couple here in south Florida but were early models where water leaked into the compressor from passenger tail light which has since been fixed! I think it's great

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Joneseysr6 -I hear you, I started this end of November, might have saved a couple more bucks if i waited until the end of December, but with the limited number of '16 Longhorns around I pulled the trigger.

Awesome, just got my '16 2500 with air suspension two days ago. Deals are there with the dealers that want to move inventory.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7

Good for you. Just picked mine up last Saturday. Post up a pic when you can.

Sorry, don't know why these pics are on end!
656f2f8cd426fcbc0fefe463aa533199.jpg8239dec9e8af0e18e88104107e4310e1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
rblochli

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Nice!! I like those wheels, I couldn't find one around here with those. Best of luck - I'll throw up a pic when I get it later today.

Acadianer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Longhorn Hemi 5.7
I know this a older thread, but instead of starting a new one, I like using old posts.
I have a 2016 Longhorn with the air ride. Last year, I never had one issue or hickup with the system, but keep in mind, I always had it in my garage or work garage during winter. This winter, I was using my garage as a photography studio, so my vehicles stayed outside. In December, we had a some really cold temperatures (-30c) and one day, the system go a fault. It wouldn't budge, it was basically frozen in Offroad 2 and said payload capacity was was exceeded or something. Hell of a drive to get home on highway anyways. Got home and the next day, the front passenger side was laying on the bump stop, the rear and drivers side were still raised. Parked it in the garage and hte next morning it had was all leveled out. Went to work the following day and parked it in the garage and it dropped during the day. Brought it to the dealer while running on the bump stops. They said I couldn't drive it as is and they would fix the issue. A solenoid/sensor and the compressor was changed the next days. Since December the temperatures were pretty decent for my area, but since getting the system fixed, I felt it was rougher and I would also here the compressor "blow-off" some air sometimes. WEll this pass weekend, we had some -15 to -20 temperatures and hte front passenger side was laying on the bump stop again. Got in the truck, turned it on, it was showing offroad 1. After a few seconds, it started lifting the front corner again. I left the truck there and the next day, that corner was dropped again.... So, I took a video of this to show the dealer. My appointment is tomorrow, so I hope they find the issue and rectify it...AGAIN. Now I'm hesitant of the longevity of the system :-(

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well to start with, the first question is was it an adult type photography studio? Next, there are several threads about this issue. The air ride does not like cold weather. Someone said its a sealed system filled with, I want to say nitrogen?, whatever it is it shouldn't freeze. Regardless, the cold seems to cause problems.

Acadianer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Longhorn Hemi 5.7
Well to start with, the first question is was it an adult type photography studio? Next, there are several threads about this issue. The air ride does not like cold weather. Someone said its a sealed system filled with, I want to say nitrogen?, whatever it is it shouldn't freeze. Regardless, the cold seems to cause problems.

Well, sometimes it could be LOL38265690266_d529b4375a_z.jpg

I was also under the impression is suppose to be nitrogen filled. I'm wondering if it was over filled.

I used the search function and this was the firs thread I decided to go with haha

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Aaaaah, tasteful nudes! Very nice! Feel free to send any others By private message "less PG ok too" lest we offend anyone that doesn't appreciate photographic art! I know from 20 years of driving big trucks that valves and air switches can act up with a large change in temperature and humidity even if its not below freezing. I had a 96 mustang GT with air ride and when it got cool in the fall one valve would go all the way up even if you just bumped the switch. If you haven't already, when it sticks, switch from one mode to another and wait a minute then try the one you want. Sometimes that works for me. At least you wont have to ride on the bump stops all the way home.

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
When I was looking at buying a Rebel the Salesman actually recommended against it because they've had so many issues up here with that system. Ended up buying a loaded outdoorsman instead. I definitely appreciated the honesty at the time and whenever I see these posts. Good luck and hope you get a dealership that will work with you.

OP
OP
rblochli

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I haven’t had any issues, but usually garage kept. Couple trips to Vermont in sub zero kept outside and it was fine. I hope they get it fixed for you.