Looking for an Upgraded Alternator for Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad Butler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys...can you direct me on where to find an upgraded alternator for my 15 Power Wagon? I can pick one up at the local auto parts but would prefer to go with one that is 270+. My OE one has started having bearing whine so it's time to go.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'd stick with a MOPAR unit. You didn't say what you had now. 180 amp or a 220? You could probably step up to the 220 and be fine unless you got so much stuff requiring big amp output. I don't know if the charging cable between a 180 and 220 are different gauges, but a bigger output alt will only be efficient if the charging cable is the right gauge. I also think the warranty coverage for MOPAR parts are a better than the aftermarket alternators; most only give a year.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What all are you running that you need/want a 270A+ alternator? If you have that much load do you already have a second/third battery?
I think on the HD trucks you can use the Idle Up feature to increase the isle speed while parked. An alternator doesn't put out the full current while idling so just having a high output alternator doesn't do you much good. The factory 220A is probably more than sufficient for most.

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
So glad I ordered the dual alternator option. I say that now before they both fail at the same time lol
Any idea why there's 60 Amp difference between the two Alternators ? Have you looked into dual Batteries ?

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Something to be aware of is the difference between amps at idle, normal revs, and maximum. I recall reading an article where some aftermarket high amperage alternators were tested. The claimed power was at really high RPM. At idle or normal driving RPM they were no better than OEM.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something to be aware of is the difference between amps at idle, normal revs, and maximum. I recall reading an article where some aftermarket high amperage alternators were tested. The claimed power was at really high RPM. At idle or normal driving RPM they were no better than OEM.
Exactly. You need to see the entire graph of output vs. speed. Also keep in mind that higher output alternators take more power to turn which can cause more drag on the engine, but mainly you want to make sure the belt system can handle the extra stress. I'm not talking about the difference between the factory 180 vs. 220 alternators but when you start talking about ones in the high 200's or even 300+ amp range I would at least ask that question.