Looking for best rattle can paint for interior plastic trim.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, looking for a good spray paint that’ll have really good adhesion for plastic and what color would be best match for the black interiors on the 2018 Limited 1500s.

After rendering my rear upper LED dome light useless yesterday while trying to modify the light by adding several LED panels to it, I ended up shorting out I think, the voltage regulator that limits the power to the factory LED that’s soldered to the circuit board so instead of ordering a direct replacement of the light I have, I found the part number of the incandescent version of that light but I’m probably going to have to paint the outer decorative trim piece black to match my black interior but I need info on a good paint and I guess an adhesion promoter just to make sure that the paint sticks really well, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansoan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have used Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter after cleaning and lightly scuffing the surface. Then you hit it with the color of your choice in a few coats and top with a clear coat in whichever sheen your prefer. I have been working on painting various trim pieces of my truck red. The more prep and patience the better the results. Can't tell you much about longevity but the piece you want to paint isn't a high traffic area.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as long as I use that adhesion promoter, I can use whatever paint I want, or would I have better results from using that duplicolor paint?

Yeah, this trim piece shouldn’t be molestered too much but I’m just worried about the paint peeling/cracking if I ever have to remove it since ya gotta use one of them plastic trim removal tools.

Swansoan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I read that sticking with 1 brand is the best way to go. I found the color I specifically wanted in Rust-Oleum or Krylon though. With a few layers of color and the 4 or 5 clear coats it should be fairly resilient. Just avoid gouging into the paint with the tools no matter what brands you end up using. I've had to remove the window switches that I've painted a few times without issue.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sem color coat

Edit: probably landau black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sem color coat

Edit: probably landau black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sem color coat?

I’m guessing that landau black is an actual color that’s what my color is of my interior? And what brand would I find that?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read that sticking with 1 brand is the best way to go. I found the color I specifically wanted in Rust-Oleum or Krylon though. With a few layers of color and the 4 or 5 clear coats it should be fairly resilient. Just avoid gouging into the paint with the tools no matter what brands you end up using. I've had to remove the window switches that I've painted a few times without issue.

I don’t know what parts you were painting but I’m assuming the clearcoat was more or less for UV protection? I’d have to go on duplicolor’s website to see what colors in black they have which means I’ll probably end up going with some kind of a flat black because I think that’ll be the closest match and I was thinking a clear coat would protect the paint but wouldn’t that make it shiny? I mean well, I guess if I can find a clear coat that would still keep the flat black appearance, I bet that would be good for sealing in and protecting the paint from like fingernail scratches or from the tool if I ever have to remove the light and mess with the bulb or something.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
SEM is a brand of paint products usually available at automotive paint stores and on-line while Duplicolor is more auto store and Walmart availability. I've used both and the SEM is better but not by a vast amount.

Because you probably don't know what the base plastic is the adhesion promoter is a good idea.

Be sure to follow the direction because if they say thin coats are best, believe them.

I have used a fair amount of SEM products and generally they are very good products.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have an autobody supply house around you I'd start there - tell them what you're trying to do and they will point you to what they believe is the best product for your application. Almost all of the AB supply houses I've been to carry SEM because it's the "professional" brand.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Krylon actually works pretty well.I blacked out some of the panels on my Goldwing with it 3 or 4 years ago.Figured I'd have to redo it at some point.Still on there and other than a few small stone chips it still looks good

Swansoan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don’t know what parts you were painting but I’m assuming the clearcoat was more or less for UV protection? I’d have to go on duplicolor’s website to see what colors in black they have which means I’ll probably end up going with some kind of a flat black because I think that’ll be the closest match and I was thinking a clear coat would protect the paint but wouldn’t that make it shiny? I mean well, I guess if I can find a clear coat that would still keep the flat black appearance, I bet that would be good for sealing in and protecting the paint from like fingernail scratches or from the tool if I ever have to remove the light and mess with the bulb or something.

You can use a flat black paint and then a matte clear coat. I used a matte clear coat for my parts. I always put clear coats on anything I paint just to help protect the color layers. I'm by no means an expert, just someone who's not afraid to try things so there are definitely other options out there. This is just what has worked for me.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use a flat black paint and then a matte clear coat. I used a matte clear coat for my parts. I always put clear coats on anything I paint just to help protect the color layers. I'm by no means an expert, just someone who's not afraid to try things so there are definitely other options out there. This is just what has worked for me.

Although it’ll probably never really be looked at, I just want it to match. What’s the flattest clear I could use to seal the paint and still preserve the flat black finish?

Swansoan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Although it’ll probably never really be looked at, I just want it to match. What’s the flattest clear I could use to seal the paint and still preserve the flat black finish?

I matched my color brand to my clear coat brand. I believe Rust-Oleum. As far as color matching, just pick up a can at Walmart or something. Like $5 or $6 a can. They make a gloss, semi gloss, and matte/flat clear coat. Go with the matte/flat one.