Looking for Suggestions for Hitch Step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jvannatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l v8 Hemi
I'm looking for suggestions for a hitch step. I have a 2018 SLT 3500. It(and i guess most of the Rams) have a 2'5" hitch receiver on it. Im looking for any suggestions on where to find one. I have seen many standard 2" hitch steps listed but nothing for the 2'5". I have checked the MOPAR site, Amazer, etc and have not been able to find anything. Preferable i would like it Ram Branded but at this point ill take what i can get. Thanks in Advance

OP
OP
J

Jvannatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l v8 Hemi
I bought it used and it didn't come with it. But that's great news that there is an adapter i can likely buy. Ill look into that if there are no 2'5" steps. Thanks

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Use the reducer that's wrapped in bubble wrap from the dealer. Mine was under the back seat when I took delivery.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm looking for suggestions for a hitch step. I have a 2018 SLT 3500. It(and i guess most of the Rams) have a 2'5" hitch receiver on it. Im looking for any suggestions on where to find one. I have seen many standard 2" hitch steps listed but nothing for the 2'5". I have checked the MOPAR site, Amazer, etc and have not been able to find anything. Preferable i would like it Ram Branded but at this point ill take what i can get. Thanks in Advance

Or you can try one of these.
I have one on my 1500 and use it multiple times a day. Tucks away and easy to deploy

Screenshot_20210524-155734_Chrome.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
You can get the reducer at you local Auto parts store or dealer.
I also have have BESTOP folding step. Love it

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Pic of Bestop step. Designed to mount left side

Screenshot_20210524-191510_Photos~2.jpg

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
IMO the 2.5" receiver is one of the stupidest things I've had on a truck. WTF fits this thing? With my 2500 I've hauled huge dump trailers, auto haul trailers and RVs..... none of which needed a 2.5" hitch. So, what is the point????? Since the beginning of time a 2" receiver has been standard and works just fine for well more weight than these trucks can pull. It's as though some engineer was bored and just decided to screw with us.

As for OP's question, yes the reducer works just fine..... but WHY?????? :) :)

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
IMO the 2.5" receiver is one of the stupidest things I've had on a truck. WTF fits this thing? With my 2500 I've hauled huge dump trailers, auto haul trailers and RVs..... none of which needed a 2.5" hitch. So, what is the point????? Since the beginning of time a 2" receiver has been standard and works just fine for well more weight than these trucks can pull. It's as though some engineer was bored and just decided to screw with us.

you can slip your tow strap into it and slid the pin through way easier on a 2.5".i use a lifting strap and it's loop is very rigid and a royal pain to fit in a 2". a good pintle hitch is also 2.5".

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
you can slip your tow strap into it and slid the pin through way easier on a 2.5".i use a lifting strap and it's loop is very rigid and a royal pain to fit in a 2". a good pintle hitch is also 2.5".

Good point about a tow strap with loops - as long as someone doesn't go out and buy you the big 4" wide one that you don't want... X(

His point remains the same though - the average person will never have a need for a 2.5" drawbar. Most travel trailers don't require a 2.5" (or even the 3" that some Fords are now coming with) drawbar setup. In fact I really can't think of even one travel trailer that has that much tongue weight.

Do I mind having the 2.5" on mine? No. Have I considered welding the adapter into the receiver? Yes, just so I don't have to worry about it coming out when I'm swapping hitches. I'll never have a need for a 2.5" drawbar.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7

Many people who buy an HD truck need a class 5 hitch. It is meant to be a commercial use, but us retired guys still yank around our 12k and 16k trailers for fun.

The adaptor can be a pain. I lost mine on the highway a few weeks ago when I pulled my 2” drawbar out and forgot about the adaptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I lost mine on the highway a few weeks ago when

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes.... I lost mine once too but it worked out since I didn't kill anyone (at least that I know of) and I had bought that one before I found the one under the rear seat so I suppose it was a spare anyway.

And, for a retired guy you're doing pretty well with iPhone Taptalk and all. I'm not sure you can speak for the group :) :)

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Yes.... I lost mine once too but it worked out since I didn't kill anyone (at least that I know of) and I had bought that one before I found the one under the rear seat so I suppose it was a spare anyway.

And, for a retired guy you're doing pretty well with iPhone Taptalk and all. I'm not sure you can speak for the group :) :)

Well I am a tech geek.. 42 years designing Military electronics RF/Microwave RADAR, communications and encrypted data channels, and control software.
Still do some consulting and design work from my undisclosed bunker location. It helps pay for the toys :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I will always regret selling my 2009 Ram with the Step that i had bought for it.

The company sold out to another company & the new company just wanted the company name

img0526k.jpg

img0527tn.jpg

img0529kt.jpg

img0530b.jpg

img0541eu.jpg

img0549tp.jpg

img0552zh.jpg

img0556b.jpg

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I have the off-set bed step too. Regardless of what hitch/mount/trailer I'm using, the functional step is there.