Looking to buy 3500 SRW Mega Cab 6.7 HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanreno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Hey there. I currently have a 2015 2500 Laramie SRW Mega Cab 6'4" but no 5th wheel prep and we want to tow heavier. Can't pass up that this truck will sell for $50k - $54k towards a new truck and back under warranty plus all new model. Only con I see is back into a payment. Current truck is paid off.

I'm looking into ordering my 2021 3500 Laramie SRW Mega Cab 6'4". Here are the options that I'm looking into:
- 6.7 ** Diesel
- Aisin HD Tran
- Axel ration?
- Rear air suspension
- 5th Wheel tow prep
- Tow tech group B
- Safety group B
- Bed utility group
- Laramie Level B
- Night Edition

Questions:
Looking to pull a 5th wheel, dry weight around 16,000 and pin weight around 2400 lbs, which ratios should I be looking into?

Why do some go with the 6.4 HEMI versus the Diesel?

I also thought I noticed that when the night edition was selected the Laramie level A would be fine since going to the night edition you seem to get everything in the level B option without the $3k price tag, anyone know if that is true?

Are there any good reviews/reports or feedback for the 2021 3500 trucks yet? I see the recall about the electrical short but that already seems to have been nailed down.

Thanks for the advice.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
The 6.4 will buy you more payload, and reduced maintenance cost, but the diesel is a beast and the exhaust brake is super useful while towing.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m quite happy with mine. Only thing I noticed compared to my 17 was it sags a little more in the rear. Had airbags installed to combat that. My fifth wheel is 16K and pulls just fine. You won’t have the ability to select gear ratio. I had a hell of a time finding a 1 ton mega SRW. I live in California and had to travel to Utah to find what I wanted. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. On one note I didn’t get the aisin. A lot of my trucks miles are just DD. Pull our fifth wheel a handful of times throughout the year and hated how the aisin shifted when not towing

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have heard that a lot about the Aisin! Reeally tuff tranny but shifts REALLY hard when not towing. I am holding out for them to come out with an 8 or 10 speed for the HD's. Rumors are next year so we'll see.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most people go with the 6.4 gas because they think it is lower cost of ownership/less maintenance. (I disagree in the long run based on my personal experience but I won't go down that road here) and others buy the gas because they only use it for short runs, don't tow as often etc. With your weight and intended usage no way I'd get a gas engine personally.

With that said, it is the best time to trade your truck in .... And the absolute worst to be purchasing. Good luck!

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont go with the Hemi with something that heavy. Unless you do short trips.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My contractor has a new 21 3500 Mega HO Cummins Limited single wheel with all options, payload is only 3600 pounds, so keep that in mind when calculating pin weight and everything else going in the truck. And yes, you are in diesel territory with that camper, pass on the Hemi.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Even if you wanted a gas truck, your loaded weight will exceed the capacity of a gas truck. I don't think anyone would recommend a gas truck for that load even if you could tow that much by the numbers.
I chose 6.4 over a diesel because the upfront cost difference was significant as well as several other things. I would love the low rpm towing ability of the Cummins but it was just too much to justify. I tow moderate loads for 6 months when the weather allows between May and October- I have a 5w with a gvwr of 11,000 pounds, so not unreasonable for a gas truck paired with the 8 speed transmission. I do tow the 5w on a long trip each year that is usually several thousand miles and that's when I'd like to have a Cummins, most of my other trips are within 5 hours of home.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With that said, it is the best time to trade your truck in .... And the absolute worst to be purchasing. Good luck!
I think today is rediculous for buying used, but are they actually raising the sticker price on new? At least you can be a smarter shopper in a way for new and less susceptible to a good screwwing (had to misspell to keep it on here lol) buying used

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think today is rediculous for buying used, but are they actually raising the sticker price on new? At least you can be a smarter shopper in a way for new and less susceptible to a good screwwing (had to misspell to keep it on here lol) buying used

Yes, sticker prices are up but it's not just that. In the past nobody paid sticker, it was always 15%-20%+ off that. While it is starting to come down a little I have been seeing people pay full sticker or Over that in the past 6 months. Some even pay a dealer "up charge" because of low inventory.

Either way the dollar is de-valued right now. Will it go back to "normal" any time soon (or ever)? Who knows.

I myself am not buying anything right right now other then necessities. All big purchases are off until the market comes back down or at least stabilizes.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, sticker prices are up but it's not just that. In the past nobody paid sticker, it was always 15%-20%+ off that. While it is starting to come down a little I have been seeing people pay full sticker or Over that in the past 6 months. Some even pay a dealer "up charge" because of low inventory.

Either way the dollar is de-valued right now. Will it go back to "normal" any time soon (or ever)? Who knows.

I myself am not buying anything right right now other then necessities. All big purchases are off until the market comes back down or at least stabilizes.

Well you just made my mind up. Im waiting also. The stickers did look a bit higher. I wasn't sure. I will make improvement's on my 1500 limited. Its a great rig, really no reason to get rid of it except to scratch the itch I have

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Depending on what you want, you can get lucky with your purchase. Just look around and check, it doesn't hurt to just look.

As far as the weight of the trailer you are looking to get, get the diesel and don't worry about it.