Lose Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93W350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Turbo
I have a 93 W-350 that I purchase one year ago and I cannot figure out steering issue. Dealer say's it's common for the first gen but I find it hard to believe. I've replaced the gear box with Red Head unit, new pump, dual steering stabilizers, alignment, and 1.5 degree shims for a total of 4.5 degree camber. To me the steering is lose and sloppy but everything underneath checks out at every mechanic I take it to. There is minimal return to center after turning even after adding the 1.5 degree shims. I refer to the steering issue as drifting. There is no natural resistance in the steering as my other vehicles. Anyone have any experience or input with this issue? Thanks.

Mark

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you checked the steering coupler? borgeson makes a replacement steering shaft with a universal joint in place of the steering coupler. it is a bit expensive but should permanently solve the sloppy steering feeling.
https://www.xtremediesel.com/Borgeson-000940-Steering-Shaft.aspx

you know you likely got ripped off on the alignment right? with a straight axle all they can adjust is the tow. there is no real camber or caster to adjust and if you have camber issued then there is something seriously wrong with the front axle.

OP
OP
93W350

93W350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Turbo
Hi CrazzyWolfie,
Thanks for the reply. The steering coupler has already been changed out to a universal joint style. Here's what I can tell you. When jacking the front end up and with the engine running I can turn the steering wheel itself another 1/2 turn after the tires have come to their complete stop point. Turning the engine off then the steering stops when the tires do. Red Head Steering Gears say's that's normal. Seem a bit far to continue turning to me.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
does the truck have a lift kit in it? the stock 4x4 steering setup is really not the greatest. have you check to see if the steering box output shaft is still moving for that last 1/2 turn each way? i would almost guess it might be the drag link. if you have enough lift you could possibly install a cross over steering kit. cross over steering usually fixes quite a few 4x4 steering issues but usually costs quite a bit and requires a certain amount of lift to install one.

OP
OP
93W350

93W350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Turbo
No lift, all stock. It is a 4X4 but absolutely no one here can figure it out. I've added the 1.5 degree shim and dual steering stabilizers to tighten it a bit but I'm still constantly adjusting to keep it in the center of the road. If I tighten the gear box then the return to center is worse. If I loosen the gearbox then the "drift" is worse. This can't be a factory acceptable issue.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
what shims are you talking about? do you got a picture of them? if it is all stock there should be no need to modify the factory geometry. the steering on the 4x4's is definitely a bit more different than the 2wd's and newer 4x4's

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
Double check your draglink and your tie rod ends. Also the kingpins can cause issues on the Dana 60 front diffs.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
what shims are you talking about? do you got a picture of them? if it is all stock there should be no need to modify the factory geometry. the steering on the 4x4's is definitely a bit more different than the 2wd's and newer 4x4's

I presume he is talking about shims to rotate the axle on the spring perches. Rotating the pinion angle (differential) up or down will change the camber. As you stated, if it is entirely stock with no lift or mods, there should be absolutely no reason to shim it. Adding shims is probably just creating another issue and it is running him around in circles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
93W350

93W350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Turbo
The drag link and tie rods all check out ok. I'll look into the king pins next. Yes, the shims were added as directed by local shop but apparently wasn't needed. Guess I'll pull them back out. Thanks for the input. I'm learning as I go on this one.

OP
OP
93W350

93W350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Turbo
Follow-up and update. After much research I've learned that the 1st Gen Dodge had an issue with the Spool Valve inside the pump. Apparently the spring is too soft and continuously allows fluid to pump through. I'm told there was once a kit to replace the spring to fix the problem but the local dealer knows nothing about it. Anyone ever hear of this issue and know of a kit or other means to correct the problem?