Electric Power Steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sclark92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
2015 Ram 1500 with electric power steering issues. I live in Michigan and it seems like the salt on the winter roads are messing with the power steering system. After I wash my truck and clear the salt off, the power steering returns to normal. After salt has been applied to the roads and the truck gets dirty the stiff steering issues come back. I was wondering if there is a sensor that is getting dirty underneath the truck? Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might want to do a search for electric power steering. Lots of posts on it. No sensor to my knowledge.

Some guys have removed the inspection cover in front of the control module portion of the EPS unit, and water has come out. The board itself is waterproofed, but the main power lines attaching to it (from the outside connector) isn't. There was also some discussion by an owner or two, that water *might* be migrating from the inner tie-rod area. It could also be built-up condensation too.

Wiggle the connector and fuses too.... Run a scan

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could also be a loose belt inside, or loose/corroded connector (inside or out). There's youtube videos how to change the belt if that's the issue.

Crack that baby open and apply a little self-reliance! LOL :cool:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a lil belt, like a vacuum cleaner size belt in the Electric PS racks? Hmmmmm, learn a lil all the time.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There could be a housing leak ...belt could get wet and slip.

Some owners have found a leak (likely the outer boot), and the electronic housing area was 3/4 full of water when they removed the cover (red arrow)! The board itself is covered in a waterproof plastic spray, but the main control contacts are not. And they could corrode or short out which would put a stop to the p/s signal. The belt is on the Rt side of img below.

Ram Electric Steering Rack_Controller_img.png

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There could be a housing leak ...belt could get wet and slip.

Some owners have found a leak (likely the outer boot), and the electronic housing area was 3/4 full of water when they removed the cover (red arrow)! The board itself is covered in a waterproof plastic spray, but the main control contacts are not. And they could corrode or short out which would put a stop to the p/s signal. The belt is on the Rt side of img below.

View attachment 526185
DIS DUMB BOIRD had no idea whatsoever there was a "belt" in there, friggin stupid, like plastic timing gears.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I had a minor leak in my electric ps rack and my dealer friend put the rack order on a VOR (vehicle Off Road) status and I got MOPAR's most updated electric ps rack installed within a few weeks.

I was told there is a national back order on these electric ps racks with MOPAR currently.

I will say that my steering is now more precise and the input feeling is more more responsive now after the rack was replaced.

petersmtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dodge needs to do something about this. Just had my EPS crap out (luckily in drive way-not on the road)
2015 1500 sport-37,000 miles. I’m original owner-never been in deep water or mud. Had a mechanic take a look and looking at $3500-$5000 repair.
Truck was fine when i shut it off a couple weeks ago. I went to move it earlier this week and tried to turn the steering wheel-that wasnt happening(as well as service power steering warning on dash)
I went ahead and put a new battery in an confirmed all the fuses were good
completely unacceptable for a truck with 37,000 miles on it

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Dodge needs to do something about this. Just had my EPS crap out (luckily in drive way-not on the road)
2015 1500 sport-37,000 miles. I’m original owner-never been in deep water or mud. Had a mechanic take a look and looking at $3500-$5000 repair.
Truck was fine when i shut it off a couple weeks ago. I went to move it earlier this week and tried to turn the steering wheel-that wasnt happening(as well as service power steering warning on dash)
I went ahead and put a new battery in an confirmed all the fuses were good
completely unacceptable for a truck with 37,000 miles on it
You need to work out more,lol.The steering will still work even if it loses it's power assist,it's just arm strong steering. Hell i turn mine all the time with the engine off when i'm cleaning it.and i'm 63 years old,lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is funny, or should i say strange .....
My 2016 electric power steering makes a noise that actually sounds like the older Hydraulic system, when i need to make a tight turn, when going forward or backwards.
My extended warranty expires in just over two weeks.

I need to go see the Finance Officer at the dealership very soon.
I know that they sell warranties to used car buyers, when they are buying a low mileage vehicle.

I had planned on buying a brand new ecodiesel in 2024, but ...........

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It is funny, or should i say strange .....
My 2016 electric power steering makes a noise that actually sounds like the older Hydraulic system, when i need to make a tight turn, when going forward or backwards.
My extended warranty expires in just over two weeks.

I need to go see the Finance Officer at the dealership very soon.
I know that they sell warranties to used car buyers, when they are buying a low mileage vehicle.

I had planned on buying a brand new ecodiesel in 2024, but ...........
Why not bring it to the dealer now before your present warranty expires?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The dealership that i have used since January 2009, changed the way they do things, they used to have 6 or 7 Service Advisers, now they have only ONE & 4 Greeters, like at a Walmart store.
The Greeter takes your information & tells the customer that someone will be with you soon.
I don't think a customer can just be in Line at 7 AM, they open at 8 AM, they asked me if i had an Appointment. I replied, No, but no one is in front of me.
Last Saturday, i drove by at Noon & all of their entrance gates were closed, except for the Sales Gate.
That dealership used to be the busiest one within 70 miles.

I do plan on going to that dealership & asking about a Extended Warranty today, being as it is Friday, all 3 of the people should be in the Finance Office ??
If there is a MOPAR Plan like that, i will be calling Ziegler

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just got back from my local dealership.

Quote:

Mopar Vehicle Protection Application Max Care
I asked for the longest Plan that i could get, at $100 deductable
They Quoted me
5 YEAR/ 60,000 miles with current mileage being 64,720 miles
$ 6,985.

Option Code UM5601N, ( that is under Option Code/Deductible )

I did not ask for the cost, if i wanted the $200 deductible

Now i can call either Ziegler or Granger Motors in Iowa, maybe both

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You need to work out more,lol.The steering will still work even if it loses it's power assist,it's just arm strong steering. Hell i turn mine all the time with the engine off when i'm cleaning it.and i'm 63 years old,lol
Had my power steering quit while driving, wouldn’t want to make any tight turns. Much harder than when the hydraulic power steering went out on older vehicles.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I checked with Ziegler Online Quote
same MOPAR plan, 5 year, $100 deductible, 60,000 mile plan
$5535.

Strange craving for a ciggy, i quit back in May
None any where close, so it will stay a thought

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Had my power steering quit while driving, wouldn’t want to make any tight turns. Much harder than when the hydraulic power steering went out on older vehicles.
I never felt it was any harder to turn with-out assist as any other toy i've had that lost a power steering belt.Might just be me though,as i grew up muscling old 3 ton farm trucks around at slow speeds in soft fields ,that had no power steering and were always over loaded

petersmtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Definitely not the same as an old school hydraulic pump-seems a lot of people are having issues with it.
I would never expected it to quit just sitting in the driveway. Other than that the truck has no issues- it only has 37,000 miles on it

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I never felt it was any harder to turn with-out assist as any other toy i've had that lost a power steering belt.Might just be me though,as i grew up muscling old 3 ton farm trucks around at slow speeds in soft fields ,that had no power steering and were always over loaded
Having driven old farm equipment, I can assure you, the steering on my truck when the EPS went out, was the hardest steering wheel I've ever had to turn. It actually felt like it was fighting against me.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Having driven old farm equipment, I can assure you, the steering on my truck when the EPS went out, was the hardest steering wheel I've ever had to turn. It actually felt like it was fighting against me.
You might be right,as i've never had mine go out while driving,i'm just basing my findings off how hard it is to turn sitting on my driveway with the engine off,and under those circumstances,i've never had any issues with turning the wheels,and that applies to all 3 of my Chryco products that have the electric rack. I also run the tires at 50 psi on my vehicles,but the truck does have 295/20's on the front,and the Challenger has 275/20's on the front