Lowering 2002 Dodge Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4x4 V8 Gas
Engine
magnum 360
I have a 2002 dodge ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas that has been lifted 4". I have heard horror storys on putting a cabover camper on the back of these. So I want to lower the truck to not worry about cabover camper on it. I do not know what lift kit was installed. I know I will need new coil springs and U bolts for the back end, but do I need to replace the leaf and or helper springs? What is the lowest I can go (as far down to stock) to not worry about putting a cabover camper on this truck? Any info will help. Thanks

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
The first problem I see that, to my extensive knowledge, no one makes a 4 inch lift.

The only company to make a true 4 inch lift was Trailmaster, and they discontinued it about a decade ago.

If it is a Trailmaster, it was a long arm lift and control arm mounts were torched off as part the install.

Tuff country offers a 4.5 inch lift that uses a real tall front spacer.

So before anyone will give you any advice, we'd want to see photos of what you have.

Carefully take some quality photos of the upper spring mounts, front control arms, and from under the truck, the rear leaf spring blocks.

A big concern when running a large bed camper is being top heavy and very susceptible to cross winds. If you don't have one now, I'd start looking for a rear sway bar. It will help a bunch with handling and turning.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Thanks, it's raining now so will have to wait till it's over to get some pics taken. I was assuming that it is a 4" lift, thats what the person I bought the truck off of said. So it may be in fact a 4.5" Will have to check as soon as it stops raining. I do have these pics already taken, but may not be good enough20190304_160119.jpg 20190304_160327.jpg 20190304_160448.jpg 20190304_160327.jpg 20190304_160448.jpg

20190304_160811.jpg

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Thanks, it's raining now so will have to wait till it's over to get some pics taken. I was assuming that it is a 4" lift, thats what the person I bought the truck off of said. So it may be in fact a 4.5" Will have to check as soon as it stops raining

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well...I don't know how to break this to you, but...

The rear block you see is a factory block. Aftermarket blocks don't come with the bump stop step cast in them.

The front end doesn't have any lift spacers in it, just the rubber isolation pads under the spring. I'd bet your control arms are stock U shaped pieces of stamped steel with rubber bushings. Just what the factory installed.

It's true that 3/4 tons sit higher than 1/2 tons. Spring rates and mounting points (due to a different frame) cover some of that. But your truck doesn't have a "lift" or aftermarket suspension.

I'd recommend getting your front sway bar links replaced as they a cracked and borderline useless, and find a rear sway bar setup for your truck. I don't know how old your shocks are, but I'd recommend something heavier like gas magnums or Bilsteins.

Also, the truck is in real nice shape underneath. Must not see much salt.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Believe it or not, the away bar links are only 8 months old. China BS I bet, thats why they are crack and bad already. So what you are saying is this is all factory and maybe won't have to worry about lowering it to get a cabover camper on it. Yes, my control arms are U shaped and I will have to get a backend sway setup. But someone told me that they believe the truck will be too high to even think about trying to put a cabover camper on it without jack stands add on's. I'm new to dodges. Got this truck decently cheap and then all hell broke loose as in fix that fix this BS. Should also see about finding replacement control arms? If you need pics of control arms let me know. Thanks

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I'd replace the link bushings with Urethane ones. They will last longer.

The truck is stock. Came just like the factory made it.

I don't believe you'll have any issues with height. People run cabovers with stock and lifted trucks all the time. You simply have to be a bit careful in certain situations. Good shocks, sway bars, perhaps positive offset rims, and you'll be fine. Anything that helps eliminate body roll or sway.

Enjoy your truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Thank you for the advice. If possible anyway to lower this beast? That won't break the bank, I'm poor. Thanks

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Thanks, didn't think it was ok. Have replaced the end links and Track bar. Was having problems getting the right track bar from parts stores, around an 1" too short. Had to order an adjustable track bar and install was a breeze. Now shocks and rear sway bar. Now I am hearing a rattling noise coming from around the torque converter or flex plate area. Only happens ever so often. Replaced tranny pan gasket and rear main seal and filled with new tranny fluid. Will have to pull the dust cover on flex plate and see if I see anything (like cracks in flex plate) or loose bolts. Hoping it's not the torque converter.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
I had a problem with starting the truck. Seems the fuel pump was not working and the gas gauge did not move to show how much gas I had. Had to have some friends help me push it outa middle of street. Just got done changing the therostat and all was fine. Till next day then this problem started. Change fuel pump relay, still the same, won't start. Let it sit overnight and it started the next day. weird. So far it starts now. I'm thinking maybe faulty ECM or maybe a ground somewhere. When the problem first started happening I started it and was backing outa driveway, then it died and would not restart. I was stuck in the middle of the street and no cars could go through. Bet some people were pissed. Also I noticed I was having a code show up on the mileage display ( no bus ). How can I have the ECM tested for faults or repair? Thanks

john Heisler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I have a 2002 2500 I like to lower the rear. Do they make a smaller block for the rear springs.