Manifold cracked AGAIN--shorty headers install advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For me, I'm over 80K, so no warranty. OP may be different. I have no pressing need for shorties, but in my case, it acutally seems cheaper to go that route. There are several choices now - I recall a while back two options, one around $250 and one around $500 but iirc most were unhappy with the $250 versions - sorry don't recall brand names. If I do this I'll have to go back and search those older threads I guess. I certainly don't want to spend $1K on a set of AFE's regardless :).

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can do it yourself, it's really cheap. I just purchased the entire passenger side kit on sale for $65 plus 20 shipping. Includes the manifold.

I understand not everyone has the means to DIY but wanted to share the info.20240111_233008.pngScreenshot_20231230_175247_DuckDuckGo.jpg

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you can do it yourself, it's really cheap. I just purchased the entire passenger side kit on sale for $65 plus 20 shipping. Includes the manifold.

I understand not everyone has the means to DIY but wanted to share the info.

I don't have the means really... if just a strait swap maybe, but having to drill out broken header bolts nix'es it for me really. But, that is some food for though just getting oem manifolds and letting shop install those instead of shorties - that is quite a cost savings over most shortie kits.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I don't have the means really... if just a strait swap maybe, but having to drill out broken header bolts nix'es it for me really. But, that is some food for though just getting oem manifolds and letting shop install those instead of shorties - that is quite a cost savings over most shortie kits.
You don't really want to be drilling the bolts out of the head. That's setting yourself up for disaster if you get in to the threads on the head. Best way to remove a snapped bolt is to weld a nut on to what's left and remove it with a socket. The heat from the welding helps break free the corrosion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat