Manifold cracked AGAIN--shorty headers install advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Ok so I have learned a new fact that might change things. I'm at 52k miles, and I thought my powertrain warranty expired at 50k, but it is in fact good until 60k. Assuming a cracked manifold is covered under powertrain, I can choose to just get another OEM manifold installed under warranty for a second time... but, aren't I right in assuming it's way more likely than not that it will crack again? What are the chances I get it replaced a second time and it does NOT crack again? I think slim. Anyways, what do you guys think about having it warrantied again with a stock manifold, versus just scraping that idea and just doing it with shorty headers and expecting this manifold cracking issue to be resolved for good?

I have made some inquiry and effort into seeing if Ram would warranty the labor and let me bring in a shorty header for them to install, but my expectations of getting that approved is very low.

Legally, exhaust manifolds are covered by the Clean Air Act for 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. Almost every part of the emissions system is covered.

I would let the dealer replace them.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Legally, exhaust manifolds are covered by the Clean Air Act for 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. Almost every part of the emissions system is covered.

I would let the dealer replace them.

Thanks. I didn't know about that. I looked into it, and the one bit of additional red tape to that warranty appears to be that you have to show evidence you failed a government mandated emissions test in order for them to be required to warranty something like a cracked manifold. I'm unsure whether a cracked manifold in and of itself would cause me to fail an emissions test here in Michigan.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Thanks. I didn't know about that. I looked into it, and the one bit of additional red tape to that warranty appears to be that you have to show evidence you failed a government mandated emissions test in order for them to be required to warranty something like a cracked manifold. I'm unsure whether a cracked manifold in and of itself would cause me to fail an emissions test here in Michigan.
I've had manifolds replaced under the clean air act twice on a Nissan Titan. No questions asked. If it's a faulty part of the emission system it should be covered.

Hirst404

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2016 Ram Outdoorsman has 120,000 miles on it and was on its third set of manifolds and it cracked once again. I just replaced them this week with the AFE shorties hoping it will solve the problem long term. I will know more in a year to 18 months... that is usually how long the manifolds lasted. One thing to look out for: My mechanic shop did not connect the shorties to the factory exhaust well and it sounded awful and leaked under acceleration. They had to get back in there and redo it. I paid about $700 bucks for installation - more than I anticipated. There were multiple bolts broken off on both sides. If I was under warranty, I would just have the dealer install new manifolds and plan on an alternative after the warranty is up.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you have any warranty, won’t the tune that is required for headers screw with the warranty?

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine are starting to make the noise, just over 80K...figures. Anyway went the "the" Exhaust shop in town, was quoted $400 labor for each side to fix/replace, plus parts of course. Suprised me a bit b/c the book labor is just over 3 hours doing both sides. I guess they are incorporating the broken bolt work in for a flat rate. Good thing, doesn't matter if 1 or 8 bolts are *****'d, the rate is $400 per side.

Out of curiousity, I stopped by dealer for a comparison. Thier quote was $2000 bascially, using all factory parts, ie replacing with oem manifolds, bolts, etc. NOT including any work required due to broken off bolts - so the price wouls actually be even more.

TBH at this point its almost a no-brainer to go with a set of shorty's, some ARP bolts and the factory gasket/heat shield. I can bring all those parts to S&S, pay them the $800 labor and be done with it (for the near future anyway).

Just have to decide do I want to put that much money into it. It's a '16, and is in otherwise good shape, but not sure how much longer I will keep it. Same reason I haven't put a camper shell on it - as soon as I do it, I'll find some other truck 6 mo later and want to upgrade lol...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mine are starting to make the noise, just over 80K...figures. Anyway went the "the" Exhaust shop in town, was quoted $400 labor for each side to fix/replace, plus parts of course. Suprised me a bit b/c the book labor is just over 3 hours doing both sides. I guess they are incorporating the broken bolt work in for a flat rate. Good thing, doesn't matter if 1 or 8 bolts are *****'d, the rate is $400 per side.

Out of curiousity, I stopped by dealer for a comparison. Thier quote was $2000 bascially, using all factory parts, ie replacing with oem manifolds, bolts, etc. NOT including any work required due to broken off bolts - so the price wouls actually be even more.

TBH at this point its almost a no-brainer to go with a set of shorty's, some ARP bolts and the factory gasket/heat shield. I can bring all those parts to S&S, pay them the $800 labor and be done with it (for the near future anyway).

Just have to decide do I want to put that much money into it. It's a '16, and is in otherwise good shape, but not sure how much longer I will keep it. Same reason I haven't put a camper shell on it - as soon as I do it, I'll find some other truck 6 mo later and want to upgrade lol...
If you do decide to do shorties,swap the gaskets out for a set of Remflex 6022's.They'll absorb alot more misalignment then the stock gaskets ,plus don't usually require constant retorquing like a stock gasket will.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks, will check them out. Trying to decide on shorties, there's a few options out there from the $300 to $1000+ range basically. I would be leaning more towards the budget side - not the cheapest, but not 1K either. Seem like a few years ago there were only really two brands, now there seem to be several options.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it is still under warranty, I would let the dealer repair it. That way you won't have to deal with any broken studs if you decide to go shortly headers later. Second, shorty headers are not really going to add any power over the stock manifolds, your going to pay a lot of money to unlock the PCM and install a custom tune for maybe a few horsepower that most likely you won't feel when you drive it. Save your money and just do the shorty header for reliability.