Master Caution Light, no V8-6-4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DW in NM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 litre Hemi V8
Just checking in case anyone else has experience with this. Since 23Apr2023, I've had the little, amber engine-shaped symbol illuminated on the dashboard of my 2014 Ram 1500 with 5.7 litre Hemi. I also notice that the vehicle never goes into "Eco" mode (that is, it runs all eight cylinders, all the time). I've just been driving to and from work, through town, so the mileage hasn't dropped in any way I notice, still about 22.1MPG running 91 octane. But I've probably put less than 120 miles on it in that time. I've not felt any issues (no bucking, stalling, hesitation, etc.)

The owner's manual says to take it to the dealer if the light stays-on past several engine start/stop cycles.

Just thought I'd throw this data out there to see if anyone has some information. Thanks much.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The light is the "malfunction indicator light" also referred to as check engine light or money light. When it is set certain functions will be disabled, remote start e.g. and I'd guess the MDS system is also disabled. The dealer, a competent mechanic or maybe even an auto parts store can read the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) that caused the light to come on. That can be all sorts of things many of which do not cause driveability issues.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Visit an auto parts store ,most have scanners that will read what codes your truck is showing . They offer this service for free. Then let the forum know what its showing for further advice.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I guess that's one way to disable MDS (for those who want to do that). I realize it's only been 120 miles, but the fact that your fuel economy hasn't changed so far just reinforces the opinion that MDS doesn't do much to save fuel in real-world use.

OP
OP
D

DW in NM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 litre Hemi V8
The vehicle sat over the weekend, then started without the Malfunction Indicator Light. I drove it about thirty-five miles today with three or four engine start-stops; no problems. The vehicle went into "Eco" mode. I'll take it to a mechanic if the issue reappears and post the results. Thanks for the replies.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I noticed when the fuel level sensor code popped up on my '15, the same thing happened.

No 'eco' mode, until the check engine light reset.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some 'faults' which can set off the Check-Engine light may not necessarily cause it to run in the Closed Loop mode. But many/most do.

OTOH, your vehicle may not have experienced a situation (Yet) where it 'sees' the same fault, but may again soon. You should still have the codes read and look them up online so you can take pro-active steps if and when it lights up again.

You might be better off calling the dealer and see if they can read the codes for free (I doubt it) ...or if you plan on taking it in for service sometime soon, have them do it then. Sounds like you aren't real familiar with the engine fault system.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Some 'faults' which can set off the Check-Engine light may not necessarily cause it to run in the Closed Loop mode. But many/most do.

OTOH, your vehicle may not have experienced a situation (Yet) where it 'sees' the same fault, but may again soon. You should still have the codes read and look them up online so you can take pro-active steps if and when it lights up again.

You might be better off calling the dealer and see if they can read the codes for free (I doubt it) ...or if you plan on taking it in for service sometime soon, have them do it then. Sounds like you aren't real familiar with the engine fault system.
^^^^ this.

Definately get the codes scanned, so that the problem can be corrected before any major problems arise.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
any Autozone, Oriellys, Advance auto parts store, will read any codes that are stored for FREE & they will write them down for you.

Then let us know what they tell you, we will appreciate it :)